How much will Dan Girardi cost to re-sign?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
4.5m is also where I'd tend to pay him. It would be quite perfect.

5m Tops. There just isn't the offense to make a case for more money here.

He could surely suprize us with really good numbers, the cap becomes the problem then right? :/

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I would think it's pretty much a sure bet. 5.5 is way too much, considering we just signed McDonagh at 4.7 and he is our best Dman... I could see him resigning for high 3s, low 4s, but I'll defer to others more knowledgeable about our cap issues.

Just as a heads up: Fans from other teams often mention Del Zotto as a top 4 dman because they see his overall ratings on EA sports video games. Rangers fans have given him affectionate nicknames such as Delzaster, DelZero, etc...

This is a UFA contract for Girardi so I don't see him getting valued anywhere below $4.5M. McD was a RFA extension with UFA years bought off (the last year ends at $5.3M) and it's not like Girardi is an all-star defenseman or anything :sarcasm: so I can see him get $5M at least. Staal's last year of his contract ends at $5.45M so they are all roughly in that ball-park. $5.25-5.5M is my final answer. I realize some people are going to be uncomfortable with that number but I think if you look at all the numbers, that is about what he's going to get on the market. Also consider, he is currently our best RHD

some more figures
Dustin Byfuglien has $5.2M cap hit with the last year ending at $6M
Alex Edler has a $5M cap hit with the last year ending at $6M
Brent Burns has a $5.76M cap hit (same figure each year)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Going forward without Girardi and/or without Stralman we're seriously ****ed or worse than seriously ****ed. Moving Del Zotto or Moore? to the right side's not quite the same--then there's Allen, Bickel, McIlrath. You're not going to get a veteran right defenseman of any quality for cheap. Someone is going to get paid big $ to fill that top right side D spot or the Rangers are going to be scaling back their expectations for a while. Girardi's going to get a better contract than Ference because he's a better player than Ference and because there's going to be more money available when the cap goes up than was available this past July and because there's not all that many quality right side defensemen.

If Girardi isn't around next year the question is who is going to replace him? Will it take a trade for a top pairing d-man. What will that cost in terms of players/assets going the other way. What will the cost be of his replacements contract? Will it be a free agent signing and how much are we willing to spend for a top right side d-man (if one is even available) and how much should we spend on such a player?--and if push comes to shove and we get into a bidding war then what?

The thing I'm getting at is it just might be better to give him a very generous offer because in the long run it's probably the cheapest and most expedient way of making sure you have someone reliable for a key slot (1st pair right defense) on the team. It won't cost you a lot of quality prospects to get someone else to replace him or spend the same amount of cap $'s or more on the new guy's contract whether by trade by free agent signing.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
well, if we replace him, the UFA dmen list next summer looks something like

Dan Boyle
Dion Phaneuf
Kimmo Timonen
Andrei Markov
Joni Pitkanen
Andrej Meszaros
Marek Zidlicky
Kyle Quincey
Sami Salo
Brooks Orpik
Willie Mitchell
Nick Schultz
Henrik Tallinder
Dan Girardi
Stephane Robidas
Dennis Seidenberg
Jon Ericsson
Chris Phillips
Rostislav Klesa
Matt Greene
Derek Morris
Matt Niskanen

and I'm gonna stop there. If the cap numbers work out, I'm all for signing him at $5.5M or less. I agree with Eco. We're pretty @#$%ed without him. Relying on the UFA market probably means we will be overpaying someone else anyways and trading means we are going to lose some assets people will undoubtedly &!tch about.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
He'll be somewhere in the 5-5.5 range, as someone posted before, similar to what Bouwmeester got.

Comparing pending UFA Dan Girardi's upcoming contract to RFA Ryan McDonagh's 4.7/6years is pointless and I don't need to explain to you why

16 To Stanley*

well, if we replace him, the UFA dmen list next summer looks something like

Dan Boyle
Dion Phaneuf
Kimmo Timonen
Andrei Markov
Joni Pitkanen
Andrej Meszaros
Marek Zidlicky
Kyle Quincey
Sami Salo
Brooks Orpik
Willie Mitchell
Nick Schultz
Henrik Tallinder
Dan Girardi
Stephane Robidas
Dennis Seidenberg
Jon Ericsson
Chris Phillips
Rostislav Klesa
Matt Greene
Derek Morris
Matt Niskanen

and I'm gonna stop there. If the cap numbers work out, I'm all for signing him at $5.5M or less. I agree with Eco. We're pretty @#$%ed without him. Relying on the UFA market probably means we will be overpaying someone else anyways and trading means we are going to lose some assets people will undoubtedly &!tch about.

Honestly, with that list, I don't really want him at 5.5.

If we're going to spend that much money I'd rather either spend extra and go for an even better player, like Phaneuf or just spend it elsewhere and go for a lower player who costs less, while improving other areas of the lineup (i.e. top 6 depth).

My big issue with Girardi is the term. I'd be fine giving him 5.5 over like 3 seasons, but I really have my doubts about him sustaining any sort of high level into his mid 30's.

The guys is the definition of blue collar. I love him for that, but the wear and tear is going to take a toll earlier than later. He's not someone that will likely last into his late 30's.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but i see it as a mistake to give him a dime over 5 million for anything over a 5 year term.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Offensive defensemen are the highest-paid defensemen. Some of the comparables I'm seeing in this thread are superior to Girardi offensively, and even though they may not be as good as Girardi defensively, these types of players almost always make more money than shutdown defensemen.

Girardi is a stay-at-home d-man who averages under 30 points per year - almost all of the defensemen who have a cap hit of at least $5M average substantially more than this. Dan Hamhuis is a fair comparison to Girardi, both are shutdown defensemen and their offensive output is almost identical.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
If you guys are going the trade route; I don't see the Habs having much to offer other than Rafael Diaz (RHD) of course it would be a bigger package but yeah...

16 To Stanley*

If you guys are going the trade route; I don't see the Habs having much to offer other than Rafael Diaz (RHD) of course it would be a bigger package but yeah...

If it was the trade route, there would certainly be teams willing to pay higher for him then that, even as a rental.

He could no doubt command a first round pick.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
With Girardi, term is going to be more of a sticking point than money. I'd offer 4 years max at 5.5 million. More than fair.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I would think it's pretty much a sure bet. 5.5 is way too much, considering we just signed McDonagh at 4.7 and he is our best Dman... I could see him resigning for high 3s, low 4s

Every year I have the same discussion here with people who don't comprehend the difference between restricted and unrestricted free agency.

Girardi will get paid FAR more than McDonagh. If we can resign him for $5.5, it would be a great bargain because I am sure someone will offer him more to get his services without giving up any assets.

He will likely get about $6 a year for a half dozen years, whether it is from us or from someone else. You can say it would be an overpayment, but you have to deal with the market as it is. He will get a UFA salary, not an RFA salary.

If we don't want to pay that, then we will lose him. But expecting him to get an RFA salary or even something merely a little above that is simply not realistic and not serious.

He will get close to $35 over 6 years.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Hats off to scouting for finding and bringing Girardi in.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

From Montreal, we'll require no less than Beaulieu and a first. ;)

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Hats off to scouting for finding and bringing Girardi in.

Absolutely.

One of the guys who started the change of culture.

His desperation and road to the NHL gave him the determination to keep the wheels going all shift every shift. He may have not been the most talented guy on the ice initially, but he out hustled most of the guys we had in our D core at the time. Him and Cally kind of set the tone back then of what we see today throughout the line up.

Granted, that culture is slipping. (still not sold on the CBJ talent we traded for. Did they bring their country club culture with them?!?) But I digress.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
27.5 over 5. He's not THAT rugged that we have to worry about breaking down. He plays a steady game and while his hits totals are high each year they are not the type of contact hits that cause damage to himself or the guy he's hitting.

Girardi playing this well till he's 35 is very doable.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Every year I have the same discussion here with people who don't comprehend the difference between restricted and unrestricted free agency.

Girardi will get paid FAR more than McDonagh. If we can resign him for $5.5, it would be a great bargain because I am sure someone will offer him more to get his services without giving up any assets.

He will likely get about $6 a year for a half dozen years, whether it is from us or from someone else. You can say it would be an overpayment, but you have to deal with the market as it is. He will get a UFA salary, not an RFA salary.

If we don't want to pay that, then we will lose him. But expecting him to get an RFA salary or even something merely a little above that is simply not realistic and not serious.

He will get close to $35 over 6 years.

Bingo. He might even get more than that from a team desperate enough for a 1st pairing d-man. If there's a bidding war for his services as I said he could get stupid money and there will be more of that available with the cap going up.

If he gets to July without a contract I expect we're going to have to figure on somebody else. Markov and Phaneuf I believe are left side guys. Personally I'm not crazy about Phaneuf to begin with but of that list posted by n8 some of those guys will not reach free agency--some are left side--some are too old--some are a clear downgrade. Right off the bat I don't like Mezsaros, Zidlicky, Salo, Mitchell (5 years ago he would have been okay), Tallinder and Morris. I don't know enough about Quincey or Schultz to comment but they're probably downgrades. Matt Greene definitely is. Pitkanen--injury prone and with other issues. Timonen and Boyle very old. I like Phillips but he is another left side. Orpik's more of a second pairing.

Of the whole batch Seidenberg looks the closest to me to actually replacing Girardi. What would he cost?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
27.5 over 5. He's not THAT rugged that we have to worry about breaking down. He plays a steady game and while his hits totals are high each year they are not the type of contact hits that cause damage to himself or the guy he's hitting.

Girardi playing this well till he's 35 is very doable.

Think this is very reasonable. 5 years I'm okay with. 8 years I'm not. I'd offer Callahan about the same.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Absolutely.

His desperation and road to the NHL gave him the determination to keep the wheels going all shift every shift. He may have not been the most talented guy on the ice initially, but he out hustled most of the guys we had in our D core at the time. Him and Cally kind of set the tone back then of what we see today throughout the line up.

Granted, that culture is slipping. (still not sold on the CBJ talent we traded for. Did they bring their country club culture with them?!?) But I digress.

It's a fair question. But you're right, maybe for another thread.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It's a fair question. But you're right, maybe for another thread.

The answer for how much it'll cost to keep Girardi is "too much."

I love guys like Girardi and Callahan, but this is a prime example of what happens when guys that do not possess top end talent start becoming integral parts of the core -- you wind up overpaying them. That is whats going to happen to the Rangers.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Absolutely.

Call it a country club culture, or a loser's mindset.. I agree that Cally and G brought that into the franchise. I look at the roster today and see a lot of soft skill, and very little playoff experience on some guys with hundreds of pro games that are supplanting the core that's been here. Does not inspire faith.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
It's something that has been an issue for years now. We've mentioned it on these boards before but it's never been a serious focus of discussion. We all complained Gaborik was too soft and unengaged but we all thought Nash, with his big body and power game, would be bring some crash and bang to the elite scorer role. Richards has never been tremendously intense, but nobody thought we'd see the kind of lack of jump we saw last year. Redden was a shell of his earlier self. Drury became known as captain quaalude. Guys like Avery played with an edge at times but were presumed to be trouble in the locker room. We bring in guys like Rupp and Asham to try to have a physical element but they all have zero impact and are past their expiration date. All of our dmen will throw the body but not one of them is a particularly feared or vicious hitter.

G and Cally lead the physical game on defense and offense but, despite both of them being warriors who will play the body over and over, neither is particularly big, vicious of fiery in their personality. Hagelin plays with heart but is tiny. Boyle gets credited with hits but is a gentle giant for his size. Besides him, we don't have a single BIG center and none of them are particularly physical or imposing. We're a very soft team. I think we will ultimately long for a guy like Dubinsky because he played with a similar compete level as Cally but he had a fire in him that was contagious and he was always ready to stand up for his mates, physically, verbally, anytime.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00