How much of your actual money would you give up to get McDavid?

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
:laugh:

I have a life outside of being a hockey fan. I already spend enough money being a fan to even consider putting up even MORE money so a certain player would play for the Kings.

Come to think of it, we already got Gretzky without any fans forking out any extra $$$ from their own pocket.

The fact that some of you would even consider paying extra money to get a star player on your team is quite telling... I can't believe any of you are serious.

12000 posts:laugh:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
McDavid at no cap hit on the Flames? I'd throw out a couple grand for that.

The fact that some of you would even consider paying extra money to get a star player on your team is quite telling... I can't believe any of you are serious.

People spend their money on much dumber things. Adding McDavid to a team at no cap hit is as close to a cup guarantee as you can get, and you're effectively paying a premium for 8+ years of a more entertaining, enjoyable product.

Last edited:

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
countless hours posting on a message board

countless hours watching and rooting for your favorite team

god knows how long being angry and bitter over your favorite team losing a big game

hundreds maybe thousands of dollars spent attending games and buying team merchandise

and some of you would spend $0.00 dollars to help buy your team a generational talent that could entertain you for years and help bring in titles:help:

you get what you pay for in life

Exactly. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I'd spend probably 5k to get McDavid on the Blues for 0 salary cap.

Maybe by the third Stanley Cup Final I'll start selling my tickets and make that money back.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

Its not like its ever actually going to happen where a magic genie demands money to make it happen. Its a theoretical exercise in how much value you place on your team being that much better for the near future

I know, I know... it's summer time - I gotta calm down... :banghead:

have some beers and fireworks on the 4th... :phew:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Come to think of it, we already got Gretzky without any fans forking out any extra $$$ from their own pocket.

Pretty much 100% of Gretzky salary came from fans pocket I would imagine, they did pay extra to the Kings after they got Gretzky:

Overnight, the Kings' ticket office was forced to hire people to accommodate all the requests. The team went from averaging 11,667 fans per game the season before to selling out every game in 1991-92,

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=6664

The fans paid at least 3000 more ticket by game *average price of a ticket * 40 game + ticket price hike on all the others + Kings product, etc....

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't subscribe to the football way of doing things. The Canucks are the Cupless laughing stock of the league, I want our first to be earned. Not bought with a generational talent.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
I don't subscribe to the football way of doing things. The Canucks are the Cupless laughing stock of the league, I want our first to be earned. Not bought with a generational talent.

what do you mean football way of doing things?

i still don't understand how some of you will pay for tickets to watch your non competitive team, but you would give nothing to help your team win

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
what do you mean football way of doing things?

i still don't understand how some of you will pay for tickets to watch your non competitive team, but you would give nothing to help your team win

It's not a question of giving money, it's a question of using a third party to give a team the upper hand over everyone else.

Would you feel good if you dumped 100k into your team and have them go undefeated all the way to the Cup just to see them win? If so, to each his own.

That wouldn't satisfy me in the slightest. I'd feel like a cheat.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
What's so funny about it? Hockey is a game and people need money to spend on things that will actually benefit them and their families

I think it is fair to suspect people on a hockey message board are spending money on the the NHL (would it by spending more on their tv packages that they would in a world without hockey, to buy ticket to games, spend more on product that pay ads during the games and what not).

They are the one paying those player salary and would not be ready to spend 1% more on it for a much better product.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
It's embarrassing how much money I would be willing to spend to bring McDavid to the Blues. Probably somewhere in the range of 15-25% of my total net worth.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
What's so funny about it? Hockey is a game and people need money to spend on things that will actually benefit them and their families

Unless they're desperately poor, they really wouldn't EFT five bucks to the NHL to get McDavid on their team?

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto

If you don't have one dollar to spend on the amount of enjoyment you'd get from getting McDavid then maybe you should spent less time on a hockey message board

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
It's not a question of giving money, it's a question of using a third party to give a team the upper hand over everyone else.

Would you feel good if you dumped 100k into your team and have them go undefeated all the way to the Cup just to see them win? If so, to each his own.

That wouldn't satisfy me in the slightest. I'd feel like a cheat.

that's how college sports work

the schools that are best get the most donations from fans and alumni, some rich people give millions to the athletic department of their school

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: