How much of your actual money would you give up to get McDavid?

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
countless hours posting on a message board

countless hours watching and rooting for your favorite team

god knows how long being angry and bitter over your favorite team losing a big game

hundreds maybe thousands of dollars spent attending games and buying team merchandise

and some of you would spend $0.00 dollars to help buy your team a generational talent that could entertain you for years and help bring in titles:help:

you get what you pay for in life

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Realistically 5kish USD. Would make my season tickets worth more, as well as give me infinitely more entertainment on one of my few sources of effort free hobbies

I am lucky enough to be born into a situation where I don't have to worry about money though.

If I had a 9-5 I'd say one week salary

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I am a college student living with my parents working a summer job. I will have about $9,000 saved at the end of the summer and would easily give all of that to make McDavid a Shark.

With that said, if I had to pay for my own food and bills, and my parents were in a poor financial situation, I would not be willing to pay very much at all.

Theoretically speaking, if I were a grown man making $100,000/year after taxes, and my cost of living (rent, bills, food, etc all combined) was $80K, I would give $10,000, or half of my disposable income.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Nothing, on principle. McDavid on the Coyotes for no cap hit is cheating. I cheat in games all the time but if my team won a cup by cheating to get McDavid, it would feel pretty empty.

I'll admit it might feel good on a personal level but we'd be the laughingstock of the league for just about eternity for winning by blatantly cheating.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Nothing, on principle. McDavid on the Coyotes for no cap hit is cheating. I cheat in games all the time but if my team won a cup by cheating to get McDavid, it would feel pretty empty.

I'll admit it might feel good on a personal level but we'd be the laughingstock of the league for just about eternity for winning by blatantly cheating.

the patriots have been caught cheating how many times now, i wouldn't say they are laughed at

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
countless hours posting on a message board

countless hours watching and rooting for your favorite team

god knows how long being angry and bitter over your favorite team losing a big game

hundreds maybe thousands of dollars spent attending games and buying team merchandise

and some of you would spend $0.00 dollars to help buy your team a generational talent that could entertain you for years and help bring in titles:help:

you get what you pay for in life

Nah bro, you don't understand. I have hundreds/thousands of internet posts about hockey alone and likely check these boards every day (even during the summer).

Also, he will only entertain me and help my favorite team win for ~20 mins a night, 82 times a year for the next decade or more.

But I have MUCH better things to do with my time and money than shell out a couple bucks for a generational talent.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
the patriots have been caught cheating how many times now, i wouldn't say they are laughed at

I'm not going to disagree with you but their level of cheating is pretty minor compared to "here's a generational player for whatever money you feel like paying with no cap hit."

An NFL analogy since you brought up the Patriots would maybe be like asking an NFL fan how much money they'd pay to get the first overall draft pick and completely ignore the rest of the league, because, goddamnit, a fan paid a few thousand bucks (or whatever) for it.

Or, if you're an Elder Scrolls fan:

player.additem f 50000

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The people who say they would pay nothing are lying.

Hey, here's McDavid without a cap hit for your team, you can have him for 20 bucks.

"Nope.. im not paying anything. Im a man of principle". Then goes on to spend that 20 bucks in a restaurant or night at the club.

Either people are broke as F or think it's cool to say no. No other logical explanation.

I mean i'd pay 20 bucks just so that the Hawks don't get a free McDavid without a cap hit. Not looking forward to getting spanked 5 times a year. Nor seeing the Hawks win 3 out of the next 5 cups.

Last edited:

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Hey, here's McDavid without a cap hit for your team, you can have him for 20 bucks.

"Nope.. im not paying anything. Im a man of principle". Then goes on to spend that 20 bucks in a restaurant or night at the club.

Either people are broke as F or think it's cool to say no. No other logical explanation.

I mean i'd pay 20 bucks just so that the Hawks don't get a free McDavid without a cap hit. Not looking forward to getting spanked 5 times a year. Nor seeing the Hawks win 3 out of the next 5 cups.
$20 bucks is basically the same as saying $0. Do you really people are going to think long and hard about this and throw out a number like $32.14?

It's easier to just say $0.

For the record I would also pay $0. Or $20 if it makes you feel better.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
$100 probably. I'd pay that for a ****** ticket to a game against a bad team, so it's worth it for the entertainment factor.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
$0

Even if it meant a cup it would've been won with an extremely unfair advantage

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
The people who say they would pay nothing are lying.

:laugh:

I have a life outside of being a hockey fan. I already spend enough money being a fan to even consider putting up even MORE money so a certain player would play for the Kings.

Come to think of it, we already got Gretzky without any fans forking out any extra $$$ from their own pocket.

The fact that some of you would even consider paying extra money to get a star player on your team is quite telling... I can't believe any of you are serious.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
For the entertainment value it would give me of making the Devils at minimum a playoff team even for a cap hit of reasonable amount I'd probably give $500 of my own money. I think that's how much I'm willing to part with for the added value a winning team would give my regular hockey viewing.

:laugh:

I have a life outside of being a hockey fan. I already spend enough money being a fan to even consider putting up even MORE money so a certain player would play for the Kings.

Come to think of it, we already got Gretzky without any fans forking out any extra $$$ from their own pocket.

The fact that some of you would even consider paying extra money to get a star player on your team is quite telling... I can't believe any of you are serious.

Its not like its ever actually going to happen where a magic genie demands money to make it happen. Its a theoretical exercise in how much value you place on your team being that much better for the near future

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
$20 bucks is basically the same as saying $0. Do you really people are going to think long and hard about this and throw out a number like $32.14?

It's easier to just say $0.

For the record I would also pay $0. Or $20 if it makes you feel better.

Next time i go to the grocery store and my groceries cost 20$ im going to offer the cashier a blank paper with 0.00 on it. Thanks for the advice!

Seriously why post in this thread at all if you can't be bothered to think how much you'd pay lol

It's a hypothetical question.. Also maybe a bit fun too.

McDavid without any cap hit at all would improve a team so much that it's not even fair. I can't believe hockey fans don't want that, and would rather pay a lot more money to go see their team play a game that's not guaranteed to be entertaining, with McDavid your games get a lot more exciting.

Some people take this thread way too seriously. It's just a simple question of how much you'd pay for the entertainment factor McDavid brings. People spend money on entertainment all the time.

I pay to get better seats on a plane for a 10 hour flight. Because i feel more comfortable and got the money to spend. Why wouldn't i pay for McDavid to see my team get to new heights for the 82 games i watch during the regular season.

Last edited:

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011

It's an unfair advantage. I don't think some fans want their to win because they paid it for happen. Would you be happy if Jets won the Stanley Cup because and only because you paid for it to happen? It wouldn't feel right.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's an unfair advantage. I don't think some fans want their to win because they paid it for happen. Would you be happy if Jets won the Stanley Cup because and only because you paid for it to happen? It wouldn't feel right.

I'd definitely be more happy that way than if after passing on him some fan from my rival team yells "i'll pay that".

I'd consider myself lucky if it was me buying im.

Can you imagine if JR offered your GM Crosby for a 2nd round pick. Would the GM say "nah.. that would be too unfair". He'd think he got lucky and take it.

This is sports, you do everything you can to win.

But i guess each to their own. Can't judge.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad