Salary Cap: How much is too much for McAvoy?

How much is too much for Charlie M assuming term 7+ years?

• Total voters

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He had better become better than he is right now because he is not worth the numbers being thrown around right now! Just because he in the #1 Dman on the Bruins doesn't make him a #1 Dman same as Carlo being Boston's #1 Shut down Dman doesn't make him a #1 SD Dman league wide. If the B's give MacAvoy over 8 million it will haunt them for the life of the contract!

5th place in Norris voting. He’s not a #1D league wide?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
He had better become better than he is right now because he is not worth the numbers being thrown around right now! Just because he in the #1 Dman on the Bruins doesn't make him a #1 Dman same as Carlo being Boston's #1 Shut down Dman doesn't make him a #1 SD Dman league wide. If the B's give MacAvoy over 8 million it will haunt them for the life of the contract!

Genuinely among the worst held opinions on this forum. I'm in awe and in love. Keep it coming please.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
Current day, I'd hope he came in under 10M. I have a feeling, however, that Charlie may be a Norris winner next season. If that is the case, I'll need to reconsider.

Reactions: wintersej

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'm hoping for 9.5
Anywhere under 9 is a steal. 9-10 is probably market value. Over 10 is reasonable, but approaching the non-team friendly. 11+ is where we start having regrettable contracts around the league if they don't live up to expectations, which is more common than not for the duration of the contract.

Reactions: BTO

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Wow.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Charlie McAvoy right now is a top 10 d-man in the NHL, he's also 23 years old.

Reactions: BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m not here to say McAvoy is the second coming of Christ, but if a few of these posters claiming things about how he is overrated are looking for more “objective” opinions, they should talk to some other fanbases and see what they’d be willing to give to have Mac. And also, maybe take a step back from what you “want” that contract to come in at versus what the market value is for bonafide #1D in today’s NHL.

He’s not a perfect player, but if you can’t see the fact that he’s a top tier #1 D-man (as others have pointed out, it’s the hardest position to find and fill in the league), then I am sorry but you’ve lost the plot.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Boston Bruins Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Logic says they can go $80/8 but to moi that’s not helping the cause lol

they are locked in all their key guys 3-6 years so there is certainty
Carlo 4.1 M
Grzelcyk 3.675
Forbort 3
Reilly 3

They are $20.5 M with McAvoy at $4.9 M

you increase him to $9 M and your at $25 M

The cap would go up as Lyle Lohrei Zboril whoever improves and gets paid and Forbort & Grzelcyk & Reilly expire

I would tell cousin Donny we can do $10 M but $9 M works very well under the insaneness dealing with

McAvoy takes 9M 8/72 I think Bruins and McAvoy both winners

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Seguin 9.850 M
Hamilton 9 M

total $18.850 M

replaced by Pastrnak & McAvoy

do we come in under or over ?

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
As long as we can keep it under $10 mil/year I will be cool with it, I'm a huge fan of McAvoy, he deserves to get paid.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Reactions: kjpm

SyZyGY

Jun 13, 2021
Would be a STEAL as he hits his prime as the cap starts to open up.

I just think folks are forgetting that McAvoy, while only a year older than Makar is a full contract ahead of him. Makar's contract is McAvoy's FLOOR. Why? Because far more of McAvoy's contract will be UFA years.
10 M wouldn't be a steal at all.

Reactions: JOKER 192

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
As it stands now Charlie is a top 10 d-man, closer to 10 than 1. He gets a little overrated compared to other top-flight d-men around these parts, but that's to be expected. However, with a long contract you need to look at where he will likely be for the majority of his contract. I firmly believe that Charlie will be a top 5 d-man for the majority of years on a long-term contract, certainly a few years from now, maybe sooner best case scenario. Right now somewhere in the ballpark of 9 million, give or take some, would be fair for both parties. Anything under $8.5 is a huge win for the Bs. Anything over $9.5 is a an overpay, one that the Bs might want to do anyway. There aren't a whole lot of sure bets when it comes to long contracts in the NHL. Charlie on a long deal is about as close to one as it gets.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
He and his agent have all the leverage. The team is getting older and doesn’t have much in the pipeline. I’d be surprised if it’s under $9M/year.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Boston Bruins Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Logic says they can go $80/8 but to moi that’s not helping the cause lol

they are locked in all their key guys 3-6 years so there is certainty
Carlo 4.1 M
Grzelcyk 3.675
Forbort 3
Reilly 3

They are $20.5 M with McAvoy at $4.9 M

you increase him to $9 M and your at $25 M

The cap would go up as Lyle Lohrei Zboril whoever improves and gets paid and Forbort & Grzelcyk & Reilly expire

I would tell cousin Donny we can do $10 M but $9 M works very well under the insaneness dealing with

McAvoy takes 9M 8/72 I think Bruins and McAvoy both winners

I'll be stunned if the deal ends up at 8 years. I think the most he'd take is 6 years. That makes him a UFA at 30 and gives him a chance to cash in big again.

We're going to have all this discussion and he'll end up just signing the same deal as Werenski, just like he did last time.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

5th last year in Norris voting, 10th the year before in Norris voting. Two years in a row regarded as a top 10 defender in the NHL at age 22 and 23. Still 2-3 years away from entering his prime.

It’s not outrageous at all to assume he should be paid as a top 10 defender in the league. Hell even if you do, in a few years when the cap increases again his contract will cost less and less against the cap. Lock him up for the full 8 years.

Who cares if we overpay now. In two years we will be in a full rebuild. By the times he’s 27-28 and this team is hopefully good again his contract will look like a steal.

Reactions: wintersej

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
It's always amazing to me that the fans are okay with the front office overpaying for garbage like Moore, but willingly enable them to nickel and dime their actual key players.
Show me one fan who is happy with Moore’s contract?

Reactions: Thirty Seven

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
8 or under is a steal
9 is a good deal
10 is fair
11 is okay and once the flat cap is over, the cap will rocket up
12 getting too high
13 maybe think of a trade, hard to build a team with that much cap tied up in one player.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Everyone saying Mac is a top 10 defender in the league should go have a look at what the top 10 defenderz in the league are making . Now keep in mind we're looking for the top 10 defenders not the highest paid mistakes.

You will find two players,
Karlsson @ 11.5M Among the worst contracts in the league right now.
Doughty @ 11M.

Now let's look at why they are paid what they are paid. Karlsson dragged the Sentors to the conference finals on a broken foot and was easily the most dominant player in the PO's in 2017 plus 2 Norris trophies. Doughty lead his team to two SC victories plus 1 Norris.

Everyone else is making 9.5M or less. Mostly on contracts that were signed in the last two years . The cap hasn't gone up 1 cent since and will not be going up significantly for a few more years to come.

If Mac gets paid anything more than anyone less excluding Karlsson and Doughty it's overpay.

So for all of you who have him in the 11-13M range I fail to understand where you're getting that number. Where are the comparables? Where are the exploits?

Last edited:

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Here is a prime example of a scenario where base pay + incentives would solve the problem. I’m not talking something paltry like $1 million base. I’m saying pay the man $8 million base, and allow him to climb to the $10-$11 million range each year assuming he is able to contribute offensively (on par with expectations of a Norris-type candidate) while not suffering in his own end (something he hasn’t shown signs of), and assuming he hits “x amount of games played”.

The guaranteed money is what kills teams. Nobody minds paying a guy that plays. What pisses people off is paying with hopes that the money suddenly makes a guy better than he is, and 3 years into an 8-year deal, realizing it’s trashola.

Reactions: Spooner st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad