Salary Cap: How much is too much for McAvoy?

How much is too much for Charlie M assuming term 7+ years?

• Total voters

MarbleMist

May 17, 2021
Before the recent flurry of deals happened (Werenski for $9.5m etc.), I would've expected him to sign for $8m/yr, but there's zero chance of that happening now. I think it's remarkable how easily a new standard can be set.

Doesn't matter what they pay him though - prime years McAvoy will be a beast.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Whatever it is, the important thing is not not turn into Toronto with 4 players eating up half the salary cap
It’s going to have to

Rsngers example
Panarin $11.5 M
Fox $11.5 M
Kreider 6.5 M
Trouba 8 M
Shestyorkin 5.5 M
Goodrow 3.6 M
Lindgren 3 M

that’s 50 M

all 4-7 years if Fox gets rumored

7 guys need another 16 and oh by the way doesn’t include Kravtsov Lafreniere Kakko Miller Strome Zibanejad and 9 other guys

How’s it work

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'd go to $11M if it's an 8 year deal. I wouldn't love it, but you basically can't afford to lose him, unless people really want Brandon Carlo or Matt Grzelcyk as the #1 D on this team, because you're not finding a bargain on the free agent market. McAvoy's a top 5 defenseman in the league at 23 years old. You don't let that player walk away, and you're never going to get a trade package of equal value.

He's going to get at least $9.5M. Werenski just got $9.6M for 6 years. I don't know why McAvoy would take a cent less than that. Maybe Sweeney argues that Columbus had to bribe Werenski to stay, which is true, but McAvoy's agent won't care. The price is also just going to keep going up if they wait. My opinion is they should have had a deal ready to sign at 12:01 on July 28th, but I know there might be some cap considerations there.

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
Before the recent flurry of deals happened (Werenski for $9.5m etc.), I would've expected him to sign for $8m/yr, but there's zero chance of that happening now. I think it's remarkable how easily a new standard can be set.

Doesn't matter what they pay him though - prime years McAvoy will be a beast.
This pay him what he wants. He is literally amazing

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Whatever it is, the important thing is not not turn into Toronto with 4 players eating up half the salary cap

Not sure why this is such a fear. Toronto is one of the best teams in the league. They don't lose in the playoffs because they pay for elite talent, they lose because their elite talent hasn't been able to get the job done, IMO.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Not sure why this is such a fear. Toronto is one of the best teams in the league. They don't lose in the playoffs because they pay for elite talent, they lose because their elite talent hasn't been able to get the job done, IMO.

The elite players are creating havoc on the cap preventing the leafs from making decent moves, weakening the rest of the line up, etc.... It's simply mindless paying 3 players over 11 million each.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
A franchise defenseman is probably the most valuable asset on an NHL Hockey Team.

The Bruins have had some of the best of all time, but I’ll always be scarred by the years post Bourque, pre-Chara.

They lucked out big time when Z fell into their lap. That doesn’t happen.

You find a way to keep McAvoy in the fold and build around him.

I’m in favor of drawing lines in the sand in a lot of areas when it comes to roster building.

This ain’t one of them.

BBBruins

Apr 24, 2017
Many do not see the problem of paying Pastrnak 9.5-10.5 million. And the same people are wondering if 9-10 million (EVEN less than 9 m) is too much for McAvoy. Personally i see a much lower risk of paying McAvoy 10 million than Pastrnak. And I’d much rather pay that amount and more to Chuckie if you had to choose between the two. And I like Pastrnak a lot.

Reactions: wintersej

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
It’s going to have to

Rsngers example
Panarin $11.5 M
Fox $11.5 M
Kreider 6.5 M
Trouba 8 M
Shestyorkin 5.5 M
Goodrow 3.6 M
Lindgren 3 M

that’s 50 M

all 4-7 years if Fox gets rumored

7 guys need another 16 and oh by the way doesn’t include Kravtsov Lafreniere Kakko Miller Strome Zibanejad and 9 other guys

How’s it work

not too well.....welcome to the middle of the pack every year

Reactions: DKH

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

They are one of the best teams during the regular season when they play inferior teams that they can out talent....that approach clearly hasn't worked for playoff hockey

Reactions: BMC and Blowfish

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Reactions: PlayMakers

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Went as high as 13M. I think that or over, Charlie just doesn’t really want to be here and an ask like that would give me that impression.

11-12M, eh… oh well.

10-11M, top of the market value

-9.1-9.99M- fair deal

8-9M, STEAL

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Ok, so then what package is everyone dealing him for if you’re not in favor of ponying up?

(And you might as well blow the whole thing up and start over at that point)

So you're willing to pay Charlie what he wants (let's say 12 mil) with no regard to the cap and the impact this will have on building the rest of the team?

The only time I saw this work was the Blackhawks. I don't ever see it happening again.

Reactions: shelbysdad

Richard Lather

Jan 28, 2020
Yeah, I can't believe this is up for debate.

I really, really don't want to go to top pairing by committee

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
So you're willing to pay Charlie what he wants (let's say 12 mil) with no regard to the cap and the impact this will have on building the rest of the team?

The only time I saw this work was the Blackhawks. I don't ever see it happening again.
So balk at $12m if it comes to it, and deal him for what then?

Then rebuild and hope to find another franchise caliber defenseman (and then not pay him market value)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad