Speculation: How much is Schenn going to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Schenn was never bad defensively and last season he was really good. Not only that but the I can't remember a dumb penalty that he took. I am sure did but the guy was solid all around last season.

People who are getting bent because he will make more than Coots need to face realty. He is going to make much more than Coots. Free agency is about timing and risk. Coots decided to take the long term deal and security. Schenn bet on himself and had a breakout year after steadily improving each season prior.

If Hextall thinks he can keep Schenn without paying him more than Coots that would be dumb. He is waiting to see if Schenn will blink on some items but hopefully the framework is pretty much set.

5.5MM X 5 or 6

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
the Rags arbitration offer to Kreider was $3.2m. Hextall didn't low ball Schenn, this is just how NHL arbitration works.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Although some aspects of his play improved over last season, there are defensive deficiencies in Schenn's game. When the Flyers drafted Couturier and Schenn to go along with Giroux, the plan looked to be that these three would be the first, second and third line centers for the organization and hopefully they would be set at that position for a decade. That hasn't worked out. Schenn is on the wing because he can't handle middle ice in the NHL as the Flyers need it played. The jury is still out as to whether he can handle LW although last season gave some indication that he might be able to do that.
One thing is becoming abundantly apparent regarding Hextall. He is a man of his word and absolutely does what he says. In the past, he has indicated that he would not give Schenn a contract that overshadowed the one the Couturier has. By the looks of his offer to Schenn, he meant exactly that. If the arbitrator gives the Schenn camp what they want, I would expect that there will be a trade coming soon. I can't believe that Hextall will allow outside forces to dictate to the club what the value of their players are. That's not the way the Flyers organization has ever operated.

...what?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think both sides are playing it right. Just not sure why a deal could be done without arbitration unless schenn wants more term than the team is giving him. I like that hextall is not willing to throw a long contract on a guy that has had one year worth 5 or so million. No need to pay a guy that much unless we know he can repeat it considering he has two RFA years left. I'd like a one year show me deal at sub 5. Then a 5 year good job deal at 5.25 if he meets or beats last years number.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
the Rags arbitration offer to Kreider was $3.2m. Hextall didn't low ball Schenn, this is just how NHL arbitration works.

Well, I'd imagine these offers are what they were offering prior to arbitration, otherwise why would they be going to arbitration?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think both sides are playing it right. Just not sure why a deal could be done without arbitration unless schenn wants more term than the team is giving him. I like that hextall is not willing to throw a long contract on a guy that has had one year worth 5 or so million. No need to pay a guy that much unless we know he can repeat it considering he has two RFA years left. I'd like a one year show me deal at sub 5. Then a 5 year good job deal at 5.25 if he meets or beats last years number.

If he meets or beats last years point totals, Schenn would be worth close to 6 milion. Back to back 59/60+ point seasons puts him in that range.

If Hextall believes Schenn can be a 55 point guys, getting him NOW for 5.25 is the right move. Wait another year, and then Schenn is closer to UFA and any deal buys more UFA years vs RFA years.

Signing him now gets 2 RFA years. Hextall will be trying to sign him IMO.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I don't care little man about that ****in link of ********. Schenn is a true flyer and he is being g ****ed with. I

:laugh:

Tell me more about how you feel. Its been a while since the last time you were talking about physical confrontation with me. I missed you, little man

A true flyer gets whatever he wants! Not like all these false flyers!!!:shakehead edit: You really have no idea how contracts are negotiated, do you?

No he does not.

On the one and only serious note - when is the hearing?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I do know but he should have been treated the same as coots.core player.

Maybe he was offered the same deal as Couts last summer and said no.

Schenn has been paid more than Couts despite not being as important to our team. He has been treated fine.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
:laugh:

Tell me more about how you feel. Its been a while since the last time you were talking about physical confrontation with me. I missed you, little man

No he does not.

On the one and only serious note - when is the hearing?

I'm surprised you don't have hatcher blocked like most of us do hahaha, dude doesn't know anything, just likes to complain

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
A lot of players seem to have hearings and agree to a deal after the fact, for what it's worth.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Maybe he was offered the same deal as Couts last summer and said no.

Schenn has been paid more than Couts despite not being as important to our team. He has been treated fine.

So, let's say you are employed by company x and your salary is just slightly below what it should be based on the average salary for your position and education.
One of your colleagues joined your department at around the same time you did and he has the same level of position and and a very comparable educational background. You know he is making significantly less than you do.
In the last calender year, both your colleague and you performed really well and

had some major projects which turned out really good. It is time for your annual salary negotiation (your colleague won't have an annual because his contract sets a fixed salary for the first three years).
You obviously want more money because a) you've been slightly underpaid and b) you performed very well.
Your company tells you you won't be getting a raise because you are already getting more than your colleague.

Do you think that is a valid argument?

Hint: It is not.

Just because Couturier's contract is a steal doesn't mean that everybody else has to negotiate their contracts based on Couturier's.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
A lot of players seem to have hearings and agree to a deal after the fact, for what it's worth.

Is this accurate? Pretty sure once the arbitrator makes his decision that's the deal. I think if the team rejects it then Schenn is a UFA. Not sure I want to risk that.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Agree, if it gets to arbitration, the deal is the deal. Don't think it can be altered in any way.

Have to hope something gets done. The odd part is, I'm pretty sure he's gonna end up around 5MM, maybe a hair over. Why not just sign that for 4-5 years.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Is this accurate? Pretty sure once the arbitrator makes his decision that's the deal. I think if the team rejects it then Schenn is a UFA. Not sure I want to risk that.

I see this reported all over the place and I believe it to be false. In player-elected arbitration, subsection 12.10.b of the CBA:

(b) If a Club has elected to arbitrate a two-year SPC and the award issued is for $3,500,000 or more per annum, then the Club may, within forty-eight (48) hours after the award of the Salary Arbitrator is issued (or, if a Club has any other Player still eligible for salary arbitration at that time and for whom a decision has not been rendered by a Salary Arbitrator at that time, and the Club still has a walk-away right available to it in such League Year pursuant to paragraph (c) below, forty-eight (48) hours after the award of the Salary Arbitrator for such other Player is issued or that salary arbitration case is settled), notify the Player or his Certified Agent, if any, the NHLPA and the NHL in writing, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof, that it does not intend to tender to the Player a two-year SPC based on the award as determined by the Salary Arbitrator. Upon receipt of that notice, the Player and the Club shall enter into a one-year SPC providing for the compensation set forth in the award and the Player will automatically be deemed to be an Unrestricted Free Agent at the conclusion of that one-year SPC, subject to the provisions of paragraph (c) below.

So he would seemingly be a UFA after the year, not now. It still wouldn't make any sense to do so, but he's locked here for the year now that the club has chosen a 2 year SPC, barring trade.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
If he meets or beats last years point totals, Schenn would be worth close to 6 milion. Back to back 59/60+ point seasons puts him in that range.

If Hextall believes Schenn can be a 55 point guys, getting him NOW for 5.25 is the right move. Wait another year, and then Schenn is closer to UFA and any deal buys more UFA years vs RFA years.

Signing him now gets 2 RFA years. Hextall will be trying to sign him IMO.

Yep, that is the smart move.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So, let's say you are employed by company x and your salary is just slightly below what it should be based on the average salary for your position and education.
One of your colleagues joined your department at around the same time you did and he has the same level of position and and a very comparable educational background. You know he is making significantly less than you do.
In the last calender year, both your colleague and you performed really well and

had some major projects which turned out really good. It is time for your annual salary negotiation (your colleague won't have an annual because his contract sets a fixed salary for the first three years).
You obviously want more money because a) you've been slightly underpaid and b) you performed very well.
Your company tells you you won't be getting a raise because you are already getting more than your colleague.

Do you think that is a valid argument?

Hint: It is not.

Just because Couturier's contract is a steal doesn't mean that everybody else has to negotiate their contracts based on Couturier's.

Except everything you just said, is invalid. Look to what I actually said and what I was responding to.

I responded to someone saying the Flyers dicked around Schenn. I used the example that for all we know, Schenn has been offered contracts and he said no. We all know Couts is the more valuable player to the Flyers vs Schenn, yet Schenn was paid more on the bridge contract...and will be in this one.

Pretty hard to say you are ******* around a guy when you are willing to pay him more for points, even though he is less valuable than a similar aged core player.

That was the point I was making.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
How much a player makes is as much to do with timing as his importance to the team.
What a player makes has nothing to do with how the team handled his development.

One player excelled as a center in the minors and was a top ten pick. He is played as a center from day one and given a singular focus for his first couple of seasons. Play a defensive shut down role. Ridiculously tough minutes but a defined role. He isn't expected to stepped up his offensive production for several seasons.

Another player excelled as a center in the minors and was a top ten pick. He never is given a shot to play center. He is bounced around between lines and linemmates. He is asked to play a style he isn't comfortable with and takes time for him to find a niche. Despite this his production increased each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad