How much is Grigorenko worth?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
By all accounts, he's well-liked in the locker room, so I don't buy the "culture change" narrative. On ice though, he's too much of a tease. I wish he had a bit longer leash sometimes, but he is what he is. if they find a place for him on the third line next year, give him his QO. If he doesn't take it and goes to the KHL, that's just the way it is. Wish him the best because he seems like a great guy, but he has had chances to be an impact NHL player now.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I mean, I don't think he's as super talented as you guys make him up to be. Looks a lot to me like a 55-60 ceiling guy. Obviously those guys have a lot of value in today's league, but I don't think he has star potential or anything

Obviously not but a 50 point guy would be a hell of a lot better than whatever Grigorenko is now.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
By all accounts, he's well-liked in the locker room, so I don't buy the "culture change" narrative. On ice though, he's too much of a tease. I wish he had a bit longer leash sometimes, but he is what he is. if they find a place for him on the third line next year, give him his QO. If he doesn't take it and goes to the KHL, that's just the way it is. Wish him the best because he seems like a great guy, but he has had chances to be an impact NHL player now.

Yeah, this is pretty much the way I look at it

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
By all accounts, he's well-liked in the locker room, so I don't buy the "culture change" narrative.

I don't think anyone's implying that he's a bad person in the locker room or is a troublemaker. The implication is that he's just one of those guys that has don'tgivea****itis and you don't want players getting by on that little effort in your lineup when you have a rebuilding team with prospects coming up. Changing the culture part also implies that certain guys are maybe too comfortable and the team needs roster turnover or there may be absolutely nothing wrong but these just aren't the guys and the longer they stick around, the longer we fail.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I always got the vibe everyone was happy to see Grigo do well but culture change in the sense of getting rid of as many reminants of this disaster as possible, the losing culture and mentality.

Don't think he's going to the KHL. He has a Canadian wife and wasn't it already reported he wasn't very interested? I don't know what option that leaves him though.

I'm fine with it either way but I don't want him replaced by another deadweight plug. Grigo will provide nothing more than a warm body on the 4th line but if he has to play up at some point he doesn't hurt the talent.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
At this point, I'm less concerned about whether we sign him or not than I am about how there's been no changes anywhere since the season ended. No firing Army, no re-signing anyone of importance. I mean, Chicago has one bad playoff series and they immediately fire an assistant coach. But so far, nothing has changed after we had the worst team in the NHL in 20 years.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
By all accounts, he's well-liked in the locker room, so I don't buy the "culture change" narrative.

I'd suggest that the culture which exists around the Avalanche currently should be dismantled as thoroughly as possible.

You know what, I was going to make some snide post about firing Grigorenko into the sun where he belongs but this notion of the culture around a team, no, it's much worse than that. Look at the horror we were served up this year. Appalling in every possible way. There's lots of individual moments we can pick out but if you're talking about a culture we go much deeper than that.

There was talk on here throughout the season that management was happy to 'lose' the year, to not have any realistic expectations about competing, signing the assorted Colbornes and Tyutins to fill out the roster. And while you can accept this to varying extents and make allowances for the other problems faced over the year (ie getting a coach in last minute) there's still no way to accept what happened this season. We all know that. Different people have different judgements too of who played well, who wants to be here and who shouldn't be here. You know what I saw in this 'culture' this year? I saw a bench on its feet cheering when Joe Colborne scored his fourth goal of the year in his 50-somethingth game. The same for John Mitchell when he scored his first. The same reactions to Cody McLeod in his last fight and last Avalanche game, someone who gave much more for the Avalanche every night than anyone else did this year. I heard Peter McNab try to justify Blake Comeau passing on a breakaway. I saw MacKinnon justifying that A he was given crying when he lost a faceoff. I saw this thread's subject react to the revolving door of the press box by scoring a goal when he came back in one game then spending the next ten waving at people with his stick like an elephant does with its tail at flies. I saw MacKinnon say the coaching wasn't a problem, they all wanted to win for "Bedsy." I saw Duchene say time and time again it was a good group and that there wasn't any animosity in the dressing room. I saw Beauchemin - Beauchemin - put in consistent 20+ minute a night performances combining all the worst of Hunwick and Zanon yet still play those ****ing minutes, and still be the only one at practice the next day to seem to give a **** that we were playing ECHL-level hockey. I saw Tim Army continue to be employed by this hockey team with no apparent amount of failure to attach to him to make him go away. I saw waiver pick-ups outplay and outwork people who have been Avalanche and NHL players for hundreds of games. I do not think any of this should be celebrated or accepted.

And if Grigorenko is a significant part of this 'culture,' then he should be sent to a gulag never mind the KHL. Just get him as far away from my hockey team as possible.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'd suggest that the culture which exists around the Avalanche currently should be dismantled as thoroughly as possible.

You know what, I was going to make some snide post about firing Grigorenko into the sun where he belongs but this notion of the culture around a team, no, it's much worse than that. Look at the horror we were served up this year. Appalling in every possible way. There's lots of individual moments we can pick out but if you're talking about a culture we go much deeper than that.

There was talk on here throughout the season that management was happy to 'lose' the year, to not have any realistic expectations about competing, signing the assorted Colbornes and Tyutins to fill out the roster. And while you can accept this to varying extents and make allowances for the other problems faced over the year (ie getting a coach in last minute) there's still no way to accept what happened this season. We all know that. Different people have different judgements too of who played well, who wants to be here and who shouldn't be here. You know what I saw in this 'culture' this year? I saw a bench on its feet cheering when Joe Colborne scored his fourth goal of the year in his 50-somethingth game. The same for John Mitchell when he scored his first. The same reactions to Cody McLeod in his last fight and last Avalanche game, someone who gave much more for the Avalanche every night than anyone else did this year. I heard Peter McNab try to justify Blake Comeau passing on a breakaway. I saw MacKinnon justifying that A he was given crying when he lost a faceoff. I saw this thread's subject react to the revolving door of the press box by scoring a goal when he came back in one game then spending the next ten waving at people with his stick like an elephant does with its tail at flies. I saw MacKinnon say the coaching wasn't a problem, they all wanted to win for "Bedsy." I saw Duchene say time and time again it was a good group and that there wasn't any animosity in the dressing room. I saw Beauchemin - Beauchemin - put in consistent 20+ minute a night performances combining all the worst of Hunwick and Zanon yet still play those ****ing minutes, and still be the only one at practice the next day to seem to give a **** that we were playing ECHL-level hockey. I saw Tim Army continue to be employed by this hockey team with no apparent amount of failure to attach to him to make him go away. I saw waiver pick-ups outplay and outwork people who have been Avalanche and NHL players for hundreds of games. I do not think any of this should be celebrated or accepted.

And if Grigorenko is a significant part of this 'culture,' then he should be sent to a gulag never mind the KHL. Just get him as far away from my hockey team as possible.

The two bolded above don't add up to me, if the Avs were actually trying to win.

Now people can say "well, who ELSE was going to play those minutes then"....how about anyone one else?? Give more minutes to Zadorov and/or EJ before/after their injuries and we've also seen Barrie play well when given 24-25 mins of ice time per game. There's 3 guys right there you can lean on more heavily if one guy is crapping the bed. That's what any coach at any level would do.

People can think what they want but there was no time during this season when 32's minutes were cut to bottom pairing level...not even close. When the guy is playing like complete crap for most of the year...AND EVERYONE CAN SEE IT BOLD AS DAY...something doesn't add up.

As far as this whole culture of losing thing, well the guy in charge had done plenty of losing in his career before his first year in Colorado when he captained that team to that first Cup win. In fact, Sakic had been in the league 7 years and made the playoffs only twice (both time first round exits). So this is a guy who's been on some pretty dysfunctional teams with bad coaches...he knows what this is all about and maybe he just doesn't feel sorry for those players. He had to suck it up, so maybe they need to as well? (That's the general vibe I get from him anyways)

As far as Grigorenko goes, like I said it doesn't really matter to me if he stays as long as it's a 1 year deal (for lack of a ton of better options on the market) or if he leaves. They can give him a one year deal, tell him to work on faceoffs this summer and give him Mitchell's spot in the lineup on the 4th line. Or they can cut him loose.

He's certainly NOT a significant part of this 'culture' so it doesn't matter in that regard but even if the Avs are going to swap out almost 50% of their team this summer, they likely won't be able to change or replace all the parts they'd like to in one off-season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Likely means what many here have assumed. The Avs aren't qualifying him.

Or that he has decided under his own power that he is going to start a career gardening in Canada. He will of course wear very good sunscreen and one of those bumble bee masks to make sure he doesn't get stung.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The two bolded above don't add up to me, if the Avs were actually trying to win.

Now people can say "well, who ELSE was going to play those minutes then"....how about anyone one else?? Give more minutes to Zadorov and/or EJ before/after their injuries and we've also seen Barrie play well when given 24-25 mins of ice time per game. There's 3 guys right there you can lean on more heavily if one guy is crapping the bed. That's what any coach at any level would do.

People can think what they want but there was no time during this season when 32's minutes were cut to bottom pairing level...not even close. When the guy is playing like complete crap for most of the year...AND EVERYONE CAN SEE IT BOLD AS DAY...something doesn't add up.

As far as this whole culture of losing thing, well the guy in charge had done plenty of losing in his career before his first year in Colorado when he captained that team to that first Cup win. In fact, Sakic had been in the league 7 years and made the playoffs only twice (both time first round exits). So this is a guy who's been on some pretty dysfunctional teams with bad coaches...he knows what this is all about and maybe he just doesn't feel sorry for those players. He had to suck it up, so maybe they need to as well? (That's the general vibe I get from him anyways)

As far as Grigorenko goes, like I said it doesn't really matter to me if he stays as long as it's a 1 year deal (for lack of a ton of better options on the market) or if he leaves. They can give him a one year deal, tell him to work on faceoffs this summer and give him Mitchell's spot in the lineup on the 4th line. Or they can cut him loose.

He's certainly NOT a significant part of this 'culture' so it doesn't matter in that regard but even if the Avs are going to swap out almost 50% of their team this summer, they likely won't be able to change or replace all the parts they'd like to in one off-season.

I'm as harsh a critic as anyone regarding Beauchemin but really... who would YOU have played? A top-4 requires 4 defensemen. We've got EJ and Barrie; Zadorov was brought along slowly to start the season. Surely we wouldn't have been playing Wiercioch/Tyutin/Goloubef/Gelinas in a top-4 role?

Then EJ goes down. Then Zadorov goes down. It never stopped. Even with Barberio brought in, there was always a need in the top-4.

Anyways, back to Grigo; just get him out of here. Seems like a really nice dude but I want players who hate losing more than they like winning. He seems like a guy who is ok with losing so long as things aren't too difficult for him.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Grigorenko goes into a board battle with no intention of winning it ever. That's the type of player he is lol. Grigorenko was prolly the kind of student who pretended to do work when teacher walked by but when teacher wasn't looking he was watching cat videos.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Grigs would be okay if the AVs had the kind of depth to have a great 1st line, a solid 2nd two-way line, a much better than average shut-down 3rd line...and then depth left over to allow young offensive kids an opportunity on the 4th with limited minutes, sheltered in an role with offensive zone starts. I'd like him as that 4th line center. Outside of that...not so much.

That being said, qualify him. If he signs great...maybe we can flip him at some point for a pick or as a plus in another trade. If not...no big deal.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I remember that pre-season game in Vegas where he was the best player on the ice. It was all downhill from there. I'd qualify him, he can be an ok cheap 13th forward. I don' t think anyone sees too much potential there anymore.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I don't really care if he is qualified or not, but I do think many of you are way too harsh on him.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I don't really care if he is qualified or not, but I do think many of you are way too harsh on him.

For some reason, a large portion of the fanbase think every player stinks, and there is no hope, or room for improvement whatsoever.

I don't get it.

Grigorenko is a 30 odd point scorer with lots of potential upside, who can float up and down lines, and who potentially could be had for 1.something odd million.

Even I was harsh on him last off season, but that was mainly because I felt some more development in the AHL to become a leader would have done him wonders.

Considering he spent time with players like Colborne, Soderberg & others, I'm very happy with his output.

For those who say he didn't try, come on......that's not fair.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Pretty remarkable to call a player a 30 point player... when he's never hit 30.

He's a worse version of Wolly. Doesn't deserve to wear the avs shirt.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO

Eh, he hit 23 with a **** team. Worse version of Wolly? Maybe/probably. He is still 22 though. And for real, is there any actual pride in wearing an Avs shirt nowadays? Doesn't deserve to wear an avs shirt? I can think of so many players that are less deserving that have. Some team will give him a chance if we don't.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
His 10 goals were good for sixth on the team. Obviously, it was a ****** team and nobody should be proud that 10 goals gets you in the "top six", but it was his best goal scoring season despite being in a historically bad offense under garbage coaches. His potential is still there. The older he gets, the less likely he has that breakout season, but there's no reason to not at least qualify him and trade him if Sakic really wants nothing to do with him.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012

27 points in 74 games is close to 30 points if you extrapolate
23 points in 75 games is not as close, but not too far distant.

He spent a whole lot of time getting those points with players like Colborne, Mcleod, Soderberg - so I think he's achieved pretty well considering.

I'm not homering it up, I was literally his toughest critic last season.

I really think having a player of his caliber, playing with guys like Compher, Greer, Nieto & others next year will elevate his game. Plus, we'd have him for 1.5M odd.

Think positive good sir.

Sakics Snowblower

Aug 16, 2011
Saint John, NB
There's thinking positive, and theres burying your head in the sand over a players performance. I like Grigs, really, but this is a guy who has the skill and potential for twice as many points as he gets, but underachieves for lack of effort basically.

There's nothing wrong with producing 30 points a year. Every team needs guys like that. Its when you should be a 40-50 point player that it becomes fair to critique. We are hard on him because we see his potential. Guys like him have been in the league for years. And having a guy like that in the room IS part of the problem in my opinion.

I don't mean to say he isn't well liked, or not a good team mate, because I'm sure he is. It's the message it sends to the rest of the team that a guy who is underachieving so badly, gets his contract re-upped and a secure spot in the line up. We had the season we had, I think, because it became ok to underachieve, or to not be as good as we CAN be. Everyone here knows how talented some of these guys can be.

For these reasons, I think Grigs should be let go as a part of a culture change for the team. We need high compete, high motor guys like Jost, Rants, Compher. The upper level guys like Mack and Landeskog will feed off their energy. I think they get dragged down by the lower end of the teams lack of caring/effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad