How much is Grigorenko worth?

chessgoon

Aug 20, 2010
I suppose he's needed for depth, at the very least. But what a disappointing player. He is clearly skilled offensively, but won't fight for the puck, and is maddeningly inconsistent. I guess it doesn't hurt to make him a low offer, and see if he develops. He's still young. But it would be a mistake to expect him to contribute much next season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He has to go as part of the culture change that needs to happen to this team.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Almost 25-30 points, not far off where most predicted he'd be. That's much better than most 3rd or 4th liners. I was hard on him to start the season, but given line-mates, thought he acclomished improvement and growth.

I hope he's back. Young, developing and would fit right in.

1.5M per for maybe 2-3 years?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Needs to play centre to succeed. Needs to play in the top 6 to succeed. I don't think he's capable of being a top 6 centre therefore I see less and less space for him on the roster as every day passes.

Pretty much everybody on the team has produced more with Grigorenko (per 60 minutes) than they did away from him since he became an Av but he just doesn't have enough drive to make that reason enough to get hard minutes. If Duchene is traded in the offseason and no other centre is brought in I think it's worth it to play him as our 2c all year as it's likely a growth year anyway. I don't want to see him there long term but if he can produce some points and inflate his trade value maybe we can ship him off next summer for a draft pick and hope one of Compher/Jost can fill that 2C void the following year.

I do think he's the most intelligent player on our roster aside from Rantanen.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
He'll be signed for 2-3 years, 1.5-3M per year....

....paid in rubles, because that's where he's headed.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
He'll be signed for 2-3 years, 1.5-3M per year....

....paid in rubles, because that's where he's headed.

damn, I was ready to make a joke about him receiving some stupid money in rubles... :rant:

but seriously, Grigorenko has all the makings of being a superstar in some european league. in the NHL though, he is just... disposable.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Almost 25-30 points, not far off where most predicted he'd be. That's much better than most 3rd or 4th liners. I was hard on him to start the season, but given line-mates, thought he acclomished improvement and growth.

I hope he's back. Young, developing and would fit right in.

1.5M per for maybe 2-3 years?

What?

He and Colborne are the perfect example of everything that's wrong with the team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Outright, Grigo is probably worth ~1.5m... but he isn't a player you really desire to have on your team. I really don't even want him back as a stop gap, I'd rather move on. I do understand CE's reasoning about keeping him around as a center, and there isn't anything wrong with that idea... the team should just move in a different direction.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Almost 25-30 points, not far off where most predicted he'd be. That's much better than most 3rd or 4th liners.

2x06-Afternoon-Delight-Animated-gif-Michael-What-No-no-no-no-arrested-development-7915781-300-167.gif

Lol that's a convoluted way of saying "he scored 23 points". He underwhelmed in every way he possibly could, and he's nowhere near better than most 3rd or 4th liners. He's closer to a liability than an asset.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't even bother qualifying him. It's not worth it. He can't play bottom-6, he's not nearly good enough to play top-6, and he's a floater who doesn't get involved in the play.

This team needs to get faster, more skilled, and harder working. Sure, Grigorenko has one of those three things but he isn't fast and he damn sure isn't going to work hard. Just let him go.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
My views on him are known. I actually think he's trying, in his own way. He's just a player that doesn't have it in him to fight.

He just needs to go somewhere else. Don't care where. Don't care if we get anything in return. I fully acknowledge that he might figure things out eventually, if some sort of desperation creeps in. But Avs, as it currently stands, can't offer him that chance. Too many flaws on the current team that we can't keep players that perpetuate the cycle of non-competing and being easy to play against.

He's 6'3 and 210lbs and wins 20% of puck battles.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Man I love Grigo and want him to succeed, but I don't think he has it in him. Those few games he has where he looks like he's "turned that corner" are awesome and he looks like he could be a legit top 6 player. Unfortunately that only happens a couple games a year and if the Avs do want to resign him it shouldn't be more than 1 year.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
He has to go as part of the culture change that needs to happen to this team.

I strongly agree with this but my concern is that mgmt doesn't realize this. They probably think it's just a matter of better defence and an extra 30 goal scorer.

That's not enough, you need to be buying out and shipping out guys and placing guys on waiver (and actually sending them down) and telling guys not to report when you have a historically bad season like this on the heels of two poor seasons prior.

I don't think they recognize the need to change the locker room. That's why I don't think they have the same urgency in moving a Duchene or Landeskog and why they don't mind bringing back a guy like Beuchemin or possibly a Comeau next year.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I prefer him to the next Rene Bourque they'd bring in. But only a one year deal. He's not a long term solution.

I absolutely agree with this...the Avs should only bring him back for 1 year and then cut him loose.

I wouldn't even care if they don't qualify him as long as we get Zads signed long-term first...lol

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I prefer him to the next Rene Bourque they'd bring in. But only a one year deal. He's not a long term solution.

I'd much rather have new blood and someone with a better attitude. Things need to change and it's not going to happen if we keep the same players, even for one year.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
So much potential just pissed away. It's a damn shame. I was super high on the guy when we acquired him.

But off to the KHL and good riddance. He will do well in Europe.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I mean, I don't think he's as super talented as you guys make him up to be. Looks a lot to me like a 55-60 ceiling guy. Obviously those guys have a lot of value in today's league, but I don't think he has star potential or anything

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad