How much do we miss Prust?

WeWillWinTonight

Apr 2, 2008
NY
I mean, I'd take Prust too. Not arguing there, but that is because Prust is that full package guy. Personally, I don't put as much stock into toughness/fighting so Powe/Halpern's PK and defensive abilities make up for his loss just fine to me.

I'm not even looking at fighting though. Hockey player wise you got to take Prust just looking at the game vs MTL Prust can stand out make a difference. Those others cannot do that.

Skill wise whatever they are all probably more close than I am making it seem but basically my point was ill take Prust over the rest.

The Lone Ranger

Dec 10, 2011
Aw hell!!! After watching McD getting plastered on the boards by Pacioretty and the rest of the team letting it go,.... I've changed my mind on this topic.

**** the conventional wisdom that says $2.5 mil. is too much to pay Prust. **** the notion that Asham or anybody else on the current roster has filled Prust's role as enforcer.

Let's face reality. This team's identity has changed w/o Pruster, and not for the better. In one season, we've evolved from the toughest and grittiest squad in the NHL into a team that has become one of the league's softest..... physically and mentally speaking.

If he was still on our side, Prust would not have let that crap with McD go unpunished. Without a doubt, he would have led the charge for immediate payback. We might have still have lost the game, but Prust would have made sure that Montreal walks away from the arena with more bruises and bloody noses.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Habs fan dropping in.

Does Prust decline as the season wears on usually? Right now he does everything. He skates hard, hits hard, chips in offensively, kills penalties, wins board battles, jumps in to defend any teammates, and will fight anyone.

So far he's been worth every penny and then some. I'm just worried he can't sustain this level of play for 50 games straight. Or is he a what you see is what you always get type of player?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
We do not miss Prust, unless you think his cheerleading is better than Powe's.

Powe was providing everything we needed from that role until he went down. I actually liked his hockey game a little better than Prust's, although he obviously doesn't bring the same skill when he drops the gloves.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
We do not miss Prust, unless you think his cheerleading is better than Powe's.

Powe was providing everything we needed from that role until he went down. I actually liked his hockey game a little better than Prust's, although he obviously doesn't bring the same skill when he drops the gloves.

These two are Definately different.

Powe is not a stand up guy for his teammates. He does his talking in his play. Great penalty killer. Good shot blocker. Etc. Great asset.

This team 100% misses Prusts ability to provide that tougher aspect no mater who comes calling. Powe doesn't.

Both are great assets though

Badko

Jan 9, 2007
Aw hell!!! After watching McD getting plastered on the boards by Pacioretty and the rest of the team letting it go,.... I've changed my mind on this topic.

**** the conventional wisdom that says $2.5 mil. is too much to pay Prust. **** the notion that Asham or anybody else on the current roster has filled Prust's role as enforcer.

Let's face reality. This team's identity has changed w/o Pruster, and not for the better. In one season, we've evolved from the toughest and grittiest squad in the NHL into a team that has become one of the league's softest..... physically and mentally speaking.

If he was still on our side, Prust would not have let that crap with McD go unpunished. Without a doubt, he would have led the charge for immediate payback. We might have still have lost the game, but Prust would have made sure that Montreal walks away from the arena with more bruises and bloody noses.

Couldn't agree more. In retrospect, Prust is worth every penny of the $2.5MM he's getting annually from Montreal. We blew it not keeping him. Our team is getting abused. I'm getting a little tired of teams roughing up Hagelin.

Pruster isn't the biggest or toughest dude around, but that is exactly what makes him so valuable. He can (and will) go after ANYBODY because he's the same size or smaller than most of the players who are getting abusive with our guys. With Prust on the team, I think other players think twice before they give that extra shove in a scrum, or put that extra effort into a hit, making it border line dirty. He also has a good sense of when the timing for retribution is right.

The loss of Prust has definitely hurt this team.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
These two are Definately different.

Powe is not a stand up guy for his teammates. He does his talking in his play. Great penalty killer. Good shot blocker. Etc. Great asset.

This team 100% misses Prusts ability to provide that tougher aspect no mater who comes calling. Powe doesn't.

Both are great assets though

Wasn't an issue when Powe and Nash were playing and Boyle was sitting.

Badko

Jan 9, 2007
Habs fan dropping in.

Does Prust decline as the season wears on usually? Right now he does everything. He skates hard, hits hard, chips in offensively, kills penalties, wins board battles, jumps in to defend any teammates, and will fight anyone.

So far he's been worth every penny and then some. I'm just worried he can't sustain this level of play for 50 games straight. Or is he a what you see is what you always get type of player?

IMHO, Prust's hard nosed, never lay down style, also works against him as the season wears on and probably as his carreer continues. He gives 100% every shift, but with his style of play, it's wearing on a human body.

All I can say is enjoy having him on your team for as long as he lasts. I, for one, miss having him as a NY Ranger. You can't put a price tag on the heart and spirit this guy brings to a team and its fans.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Well yeah that too . Lol.. I meant even with mcd and girardi and dz back though

Yes. Gilroy gets a ceremonial shift to start the third and is benched there under normal circumstances, and doesn't kill penalties. Little Mac brings more to the table then that. It will be a challenge for Torts, Sully, and Shoeny to fast track him, but he was called a need pick, and we all see the need.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Habs fan dropping in.

I'm pretty sure that last season, Prust missed some time due to hand injury. I can only guess it was related to fighting but I cannot say for sure. I am not a doctor.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Habs fan dropping in.

Sure, rub it in. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad