How much do the Leafs regret trading Connor Brown?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If the leafs ever do win a cup we will hear about how random third liners are better fits or whatever than perennial all stars. Lots of homers.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I would like to add:
Alex Barabanov was one of San Jose’s best forwards at the end of the season, definitely grew into a leader for Ottawa South and a legit top-6 scorer. He played for Russia in the world championships and is a leader on that team.

A guy like Barabanob is exactly what the Leafs could’ve used in the playoffs for better secondary scoring. Instead they traded him off with Zaitsev who has been solid in Ottawa also to get some cap space. The Leafs wound up replacing Barabanov with Kerfoot who has been disappointing in his tenure as a Leaf.

How much do the Leafs regret trading Alex Barabanov?

like zero? For both? The whole point of doing that was to keep the pipeline going. The same agent gets them all the payers. If it isn’t working they agree to move them.

then the next year it’s the same. They are trading Barbabanov for the UFA who comes next year.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Of all the whining and crying and outrage over the past week. I don’t think a single person has ever even mentioned or thought of Connor brown.

Kerry fraiser and sylvan lefevbre have been mentioned more

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Connor brown wouldn’t have gotten the ice time he has on the leafs due to depth. They should have never waived Boyd and vessey. That’s their biggest lost.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Both Marleau and Zaitsevs contracts were f***ing awful from day 1 and really cost us big time having to dump them.

Lou Lamoriello everyone!

Na your GM dumped all the depth up front leaving your D to play with zero help from the forwards Z's contract is fine. Signing the 11 million dollar redundant center is what cost everything

Checks roster "well we don't need a center better spend 11 million on one"
"Hmm we are a poor defensive team better bring in Barrie"
"wow we struggle in the playoffs better bring in Jumbo joe he is known to elevate his game in the playoffs"
I wonder what the problem is?

You think Lou is the issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremy2020

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
What has that to do with being the most complete and hardest working team?

Who said anything about hardest working? What a non-sequitor.

I'm not sure why you would need explanation for why its easier to build a team when the best players are on their ELCs rather than their second contracts, its pretty self evident. Despite that this was the most complete Leafs team of the Matthews era.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Who said anything about hardest working? What a non-sequitor.

I'm not sure why you would need explanation for why its easier to build a team when the best players are on their ELCs rather than their second contracts, its pretty self evident. Despite that this was the most complete Leafs team of the Matthews era.
:huh:
Isn't this the partial post you quoted in your response?
There is a reason the most complete and hardest working team was during Matthews and Marner's rookie years.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I’m seeing a lot of posts from people who I doubt watched Brown very closely.

Hes getting a ton of ice time and opportunity but his production this season is 100% effort based and a fallout of his defensive prowess.

Very little PP production, good even strength and excellent short handed production. There’s a reason he’s way up there in takewaways.

I’ve seen some chirps about his early goal output but I’d argue that was just a snake bitten player. The last time I saw a guy muff that many scoring chances and breakaways was Bill Muckalt’s season in Ottawa.

I think his ideal role would be 3RW. Hopefully he shows some consistency and demonstrates another gear next year to solidify a top 6 role.

He's not replacing Marner or Nylander.

Brown has grown on me a lot but I agree with this. I can’t see a world where he would supplant one of the leafs top two RW.

I also don’t see this as a disaster for the leafs, would be nice for them to have him but he’s not the reason they haven’t passed the 1st round.

When did he hit is prime, right at the end of March? Because he had 6 goals through like 35 games to start the season..

I hate that I sound like I'm ******* on the player when I really like what he brings to the table. Great effort, PK ability and offensive instincts, but his skating prevents him from becoming what you think he is. He's purrfect for a tweener role on a competitive team. That said, he could slot into a top-line role when necessitated but competitive teams generally have better options on their top-line.

What’s wrong with Brown’s skating?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Brown, Kadri and Kapanen would have looked really good in support roles.

Toronto messed up signing an $11 million Tavares and not a D. Had to move Kapanen for a pick, dumped Brown, the Kadri for Barrie trade. Nothing from that has worked out.

The management still is married to the idea of keeping the big 4 upfront even though most reasonable opinions know 1 so be moved to balance out the roster.

Reactions: GordieHoweHatTrick

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Should have just traded another 1st instead of wasting it on the likes of Nick Foligno.

There is a reason the most complete and hardest working team was during Matthews and Marner's rookie years.

Giving away Brown for nothing as a cap dump is the worst move Dubas made.

Lou set him up soooo pretty and he managed to ruin it all within one two years.

Yea he helped him big time with those Zaitsev and Marleau contracts.....

Scorlov

May 17, 2021
Uhh probably not at all? The number of Connor Browns traded every year is staggering. There's much bigger things for them to regret, like trying to contend with and doubling down on a fundamentally misconstructed team

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
The hilarity of the Leafs fans trying to convince themselves that Lou Lamoriello is the source of their problems is too much.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the Leafs had a better cap structure, Connor Brown would definitely be the kind of player who would be part of that prime age depth. No doubt he would help. That said, I probably miss him less than what the OP would be looking for.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Na your GM dumped all the depth up front leaving your D to play with zero help from the forwards Z's contract is fine. Signing the 11 million dollar redundant center is what cost everything

Checks roster "well we don't need a center better spend 11 million on one"
"Hmm we are a poor defensive team better bring in Barrie"
"wow we struggle in the playoffs better bring in Jumbo joe he is known to elevate his game in the playoffs"
I wonder what the problem is?

You think Lou is the issue?
so you're basically saying we should have just stuck with Nikita Zaitsev and told John Tavares to kick rocks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad