How much do the Leafs regret trading Connor Brown?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Connor Brown was Ottawa’s best forward throughout the season, definitely grew into a leader for Ottawa and a legit top-6 scorer. He’s now leading the world championships in points and is a leader on that team

A guy like Brown is exactly what the Leafs could’ve used in the playoffs for better secondary scoring. Instead they traded him off with Zaitsev who has been solid in Ottawa also to get some cap space. The Leafs wound up replacing Brown with Kerfoot who has been disappointing in his tenure as a Leaf.

How much do the Leafs regret trading Connor Brown?

Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

member 298589

It was an unfortunate cost of dumping Zaitsev's cap hit and fixing the previous management's mistake.

He had stone hands for a large portion of his tenure on the Leafs, but a lot of that was usage being 3rd/4th line based on forward depth. He was an excellent scorer in the AHL, so it's not a big surprise how well he's doing.

Honestly, the general sentiment I see is that he is still well liked by Toronto fans and there's only happiness that he's doing well for himself and Ottawa.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
I just can't help myself but wonder if Brown is yet another average player scoring way above expectations on a bad team. Don't get me wrong, those points don't just appear out of thin air, but going forward with Jimmy Stu, Tkachuk, Norris, Formenton, Batherson, maybe an UFA signing or two or a late blooming Logan Brown, is Connor really the guy Ottawa fans and other people around the league see as a core top-6 guy?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Literally not at all. I would have paid twice as much to dump Zaitsevs terrible deal.

Should have just traded another 1st instead of wasting it on the likes of Nick Foligno.

There is a reason the most complete and hardest working team was during Matthews and Marner's rookie years.

Giving away Brown for nothing as a cap dump is the worst move Dubas made.

Lou set him up soooo pretty and he managed to ruin it all within one two years.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
TBH, Connor Brown hasn't changed, he's always been this good and everyone has known it. When you have cap issues theres not much you can do... We had to get Zaitsev off the books and at that time we were still loaded with Kapanen, Johnsson etc.

We miss him so much, he has the heart and the instinct, I'd want him over marner at this point lol

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
We couldnt afford to pay him $4.5 for the next half decade. This trade freed up $6.6 long term which was huge during our cap crunch.

But could afford to pay Alex Kerfoot $3.5 million in the midst of said cap crunch.

Or if you know a cap crunch is coming don't unnecessarily add to that by signing Tavares... or better yet more like don't create a cap crunch by unnecessarily signing Tavares in the first place

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Should have just traded another 1st instead of wasting it on the likes of Nick Foligno.

There is a reason the most complete and hardest working team was during Matthews and Marner's rookie years.
Dont see how these trades correlate.

I would much much much rather have traded Brown and his cap hit over a 1st.

our 2019 1st was used to acquire Muzzin, and our 2020 1st was used to dump Marleau, an even worse contract. So not sure what 1st you are talking about.

Reactions: Rob Brown

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

Giving away Brown for nothing as a cap dump is the worst move Dubas made.

Lou set him up soooo pretty and he managed to ruin it all within one two years.
Brown was the sweetener in the deal to dump the actual cap dump. Not even close to being the worst move.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Dont see how these trades correlate.

I would much much much rather have traded Brown and his cap hit over a 1st.

our 2019 1st was used to acquire Muzzin, and our 2020 1st was used to dump Marleau, an even worse contract. So not sure what 1st you are talking about.

My point is Dubas is flying by the seat of his pants with zero long term planning if he is just going to throw a 1st at an older worse broken down version of Brown to replace that lost grit

Reactions: sparxx87

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Nope, all dubas, giving out trash deals to everyone. Not sure how he hasn't been fired with the mismanagement of assets.

Zaitsev deal was given by Lou I believe

I must say...he's done his fair share of video game GMing if he's the one who decided Tavares was the right was to spend 11 million.

Reactions: bh53 and sparxx87

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Those teams were always bad defensively, this years team was more complete. But yeah, it helps to have your best players on ELC's, very shrewd observation.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I would like to add:
Alex Barabanov was one of San Jose’s best forwards at the end of the season, definitely grew into a leader for Ottawa South and a legit top-6 scorer. He played for Russia in the world championships and is a leader on that team.

A guy like Barabanob is exactly what the Leafs could’ve used in the playoffs for better secondary scoring. Instead they traded him off with Zaitsev who has been solid in Ottawa also to get some cap space. The Leafs wound up replacing Barabanov with Kerfoot who has been disappointing in his tenure as a Leaf.

How much do the Leafs regret trading Alex Barabanov?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad