How much consideration should Dion Phaneuf get for the Norris Trophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I think that everyone will be surprised to find him in the top 10 for votes this season. Book it.

RuggieriHabs76

Sep 13, 2013
I am one of the rare Habs fans who actually likes Dion and i find that theres been improvement to his game, especially in his own end and on the PP but everyone knows how the media hands out these awards.

mikebel111*

None, he was a better player last year for us.

This is a joke. Right?

DP has had his best season as a leaf. I though he struggled last year. This year he has been great for the most part

On to the topic, very little chance if any. Since NHL loves having big point total guys to win.

The award is a joke anyways now.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Sad to see him get o under-appreciated...

This dude is just as valuable to the team as Bernier or Kessel, I don't think people realize that. He holds more responsibility than anyone else on this team and without him, our D would be worse than the Oilers. VERY few defensemen in the Eastern Conference have played at his level defensively.

There's way too many beast defensemen in the league for Phaneuf to win a Norris in his career, but oh well, not like the award means much anyway.

Jacques Trap*

Fair enough, it's pretty safe. If I look a think of what the writers will likely put as their candidates:

Keith
Karlsson
Pietrangelo
Subban
Weber
Chara
Phaneuf?

So at the same time that you are suggesting the writers will have a biased to big scoring D and ignore all around play and importance to team, you don't mention Suter or Doughty ahead of Dion?

mikebel111*

Sad to see him get o under-appreciated...

This dude is just as valuable to the team as Bernier or Kessel, I don't think people realize that. He holds more responsibility than anyone else on this team and without him, our D would be worse than the Oilers.
If he isnt on this D core, our D is absolutely garbage and thats an understatement.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

Yeah, I'm not sure why I left him off to be honest.

Doughty, Bouwmeester and probably Suter will all receive more votes as well. Not saying its right or wrong, but that's how the media sees it.

Suter and Doughty yeah probably. Bouwmeester though, I don't think so. I think Pie gets the votes and Bouwmeester doesn't.

So at the same time that you are suggesting the writers will have a biased to big scoring D and ignore all around play and importance to team, you don't mention Suter or Doughty ahead of Dion?

I FORGOT THOSE TWO OKAY? :laugh:

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Suter
Karlsson
Doughty/Kieth.

That's how I see the top 3 unless someone goes beast mode for 20 games.

I think Phaneuf is a top 30 defensemen in the 10-20 range, he essentially rejuvinated Gunnarsson. Its also hard for Phaneuf whom plays on his wrong side, and plays a lot defensively and the fact his offensive skill set is what got him his first big pay day. Phaneuf is really good.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Suter
Karlsson
Doughty/Kieth.

That's how I see the top 3 unless someone goes beast mode for 20 games.

I think Phaneuf is a top 30 defensemen in the 10-20 range, he essentially rejuvinated Gunnarsson. Its also hard for Phaneuf whom plays on his wrong side, and plays a lot defensively and the fact his offensive skill set is what got him his first big pay day. Phaneuf is really good.

Karlsson shouldn't be anywhere near a Norris nomination this year.

Such a lazy defenseman in his own zone. World class talent but he costs his team many goals because of his half assed efforts.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
He might get like 10 votes out of the what, 100s available? Even then, he's at most a top 10 on his good days, but he still has tendencies to make bonehead mistakes so I'd say he's maybe a top 20 D man? Still a great #1, but not in the Norris trophy winning area simply because he's not consistent enough. We've seen him reach that level of play, but he doesn't keep it up all the time.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He might get like 10 votes out of the what, 100s available? Even then, he's at most a top 10 on his good days, but he still has tendencies to make bonehead mistakes so I'd say he's maybe a top 20 D man? Still a great #1, but not in the Norris trophy winning area simply because he's not consistent enough. We've seen him reach that level of play, but he doesn't keep it up all the time.

The Leafs and Phaneuf play a similar game.

Phaneuf doesn't seem to play all that good against **** teams but he competes 10x more when he's up against a guy like Crosby.

Phaneuf plays his best hockey when he's against Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos etc.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think Phaneuf's play has dropped a little bit the last few weeks. However, he's still been very good. He should be in the top 10, I'd say he's in the 8-10 range for defensemen this year (very good).

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He may be our best D this season, however, he's nowhere near the BEST D in all of the NHL!

Zero chance he gets anywhere near enough votes to win the Noris!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think Phaneuf's play has dropped a little bit the last few weeks. However, he's still been very good. He should be in the top 10, I'd say he's in the 8-10 range for defensemen this year (very good).

Canada took 7 dmen to the Olympics, Phaneuf wasn't one of them infact he wasn't even invited to camp. I'd say he is more like 20, ish...

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
So after last night's win i've seen discussions related to: Kessel for hart? Bernier for Veznina? and Phaneuf for norris? Am i missing anything else? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad