How much consideration should Dion Phaneuf get for the Norris Trophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When it comes to Dion Phaneuf's stats this season I think we can agree that so far this his best one during his time with the Leafs. As of today his stats is 6 goals, 20 assists for 26 points with a +19. So if he can keep up those stats how much consideration should he get for the Norris Trophy?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It's not so much his offensive stats that would give him consideration, IMO. Unfortunately the Norris typically goes to someone who puts up points.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
0 sorry, good player, nowhere in contention realistically probably 12-17th in votes

Strategy

Sep 8, 2013
He didn't even make team Canada, so I imagine he has 0 chance of winning it.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
0. The way people currently love Kessel for what he brings/ elite level, is indicative of the level Phaneuf would need to be to win the Norris imo. He isn't a game changer like several others. That is not to say he's not a quality dman

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Zero consideration. He's in the 10-15 range among best D-men. Guys like OEL,Keith and Weber are simply on another level.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
None. He is good but he is not playing at that high of a level. Hell Phil is 2nd in points and is proving he is indeed our MVP but yet people still don't see him in the Hart contention.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
None, hes a good defensemen... half the time. The guys looks lost sometimes

It's pretty evident that Dion is a much better player with lessened minutes which is pretty much a requirement to be the best in the league. When he's around or above 25 minutes he's awful

Baba Ganoush

Dec 8, 2009
solid season for sure but he won't get much/any consideration.

I don't like the idea of the Norris being split into two different awards (best OFF D and best DEF D) but I don't like the idea of it automatically going to the best OFF D either, considering it's supposed to go to the best "all around" player at the position.

hard to believe Chara has the same amount of trophies as Subban and Karlsson.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
None at all...he's been okay this year. Top 15 in votes but he hasn't done anything for the Leafs to put him in that conversation.

DP is being used in a defensive role and getting paid 7M. I really hope Nonis gets another good defenseman so we can get DP producing at a higher level offensively.

Baba Ganoush

Dec 8, 2009
DP is being used in a defensive role and getting paid 7M. I really hope Nonis gets another good defenseman so we can get DP producing at a higher level offensively.

I think it's a more all around ("$7mil") role. probably leads our D in PP and PK time, as he probably should.

I don't think adding a higher level D would change Phaneuf's role/game much at all (unless we're talking elite level), but I think it would definitely help the team.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
When it comes to Dion Phaneuf's stats this season I think we can agree that so far this his best one during his time with the Leafs. As of today his stats is 6 goals, 20 assists for 26 points with a +19. So if he can keep up those stats how much consideration should he get for the Norris Trophy?

Are you serious?

Phaneuf has been very good for us this season, but he's not getting a sniff at the Norris, this year anyway.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
the better question for leafs and awards is what type of shot does bernier have at a vezina.

But phaneuf literally has 0% chance at winning or even getting nominated

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Phaneuf has played like a top pairing dman all year. Best dman on a bad defensive team.

Doesn't bode well for Norris consideration. I would honestly rank Dion in the 20-25 range among NHL dmen

Jacques Trap*

Not much at all. I've argued with countless people who don't even feel he's a legit #1 which I do think he is. Still, middle of that pack at best though. Not in the top 5 or even 10 best d men that would garner serious consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad