How much are we going to have to pay Garland.

How much AAV?

• Total voters

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Honestly Garland takes a beating every game. And the refs are not giving him any breaks. Long-term i have durability concerns if this continues. But in terms of dollars. $5.5 per is close.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Honestly Garland takes a beating every game. And the refs are not giving him any breaks. Long-term i have durability concerns if this continues. But in terms of dollars. $5.5 per is close.
I have major issues with how the officials have handled his physical safety. They are allowed every single kind of cheap shot and dangerous play against him.

I’m hoping he gets sent to the All Star game for us. I’m hoping he continues to get a lot of love from the media like he’s starting to. I think it’s possible for him to score and charm his way into a protected status. Anyone who farts in the general direction of Johnny Hockey gets a game misconduct. If Garland can get there, we’re gonna be okay.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You know what would get the officials' and NHL office's attention, extreme retaliation. And if the officials don't put a stop to it, that same retaliation might be the only thing that does. That's where a Kyle Clifford type of player would be huge for this team. It's also another reason I'd like to see a Crouse Dvo Garland line. Crouse isn't much like Cliffor but at least he'd have Garland's back without being a huge liability offensively. The Keller Schmaltz Garland line will continue to be targeted imo. Would love to see them together on the PP but as a line I have a hard time seeing them doing anything against a Dallas/Vegas opponent.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You know what would get the officials' and NHL office's attention, extreme retaliation. And if the officials don't put a stop to it, that same retaliation might be the only thing that does. That's where a Kyle Clifford type of player would be huge for this team. It's also another reason I'd like to see a Crouse Dvo Garland line. Crouse isn't much like Cliffor but at least he'd have Garland's back without being a huge liability offensively. The Keller Schmaltz Garland line will continue to be targeted imo. Would love to see them together on the PP but as a line I have a hard time seeing them doing anything against a Dallas/Vegas opponent.
We have Hayden. Do we need to upgrade to Reeves?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We have Hayden. Do we need to upgrade to Reeves?
tenor.gif

Reactions: Summer Rose

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I have major issues with how the officials have handled his physical safety. They are allowed every single kind of cheap shot and dangerous play against him.

I’m hoping he gets sent to the All Star game for us. I’m hoping he continues to get a lot of love from the media like he’s starting to. I think it’s possible for him to score and charm his way into a protected status. Anyone who farts in the general direction of Johnny Hockey gets a game misconduct. If Garland can get there, we’re gonna be okay.

I have major issues with how his teammates have handled his physical safety. Nobody ever does anything about it when Garland gets pounded.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have major issues with how his teammates have handled his physical safety. Nobody ever does anything about it when Garland gets pounded.
It’s a touch situation. When it’s Krug and Dunn doing it, it’s almost like he should handle it. Or like, not Hayden. But when it was Bortuzzo, that’s fair game for Hayden. Unfortunately they were tight games that were important. Tough timing to jump a guy three shifts later.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
It’s a touch situation. When it’s Krug and Dunn doing it, it’s almost like he should handle it. Or like, not Hayden. But when it was Bortuzzo, that’s fair game for Hayden. Unfortunately they were tight games that were important. Tough timing to jump a guy three shifts later.

Agreed. And as much as I understand the role Reeves plays on the Knights' roster, he's a waste of space. The Coyotes could use some toughness, but I wouldn't want to see a player like that on the roster.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix

The difference is Johnny never goes to the tough places on the ice, Garland needs to understand that Kane has survived by being smart while he plays more like Gallagher.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Its not how his teammates respond when he get cheap shot, its the refs and Bill Armstrong. Each cheap shot Bill should be on the phone to the NHL. If the NHL won't do anything then the fans need to.

This crap needs to be removed from the NHL. Call the rules or the fans should stop watching.

Reactions: Yandover

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Its not how his teammates respond when he get cheap shot, its the refs and Bill Armstrong. Each cheap shot Bill should be on the phone to the NHL. If the NHL won't do anything then the fans need to.

This crap needs to be removed from the NHL. Call the rules or the fans should stop watching.

From Craig's article today.... Tocchet on how Garland needs to deal with the abuse.

“I think right now people are starting to notice Gars like, ‘Who is this kid?’” Tocchet said. “He’s a really good hockey player and he’s coming into his own so the scouting report now is, ‘He’s a little guy, let’s hit him. After whistles let’s agitate him.’

Tocchet still thinks there’s a balance to be struck.

“He’s got to start getting calls,” he said. “I told Gars, ‘You can’t be animated. You can't show the refs up and lift your arms in the air and scream for a call.’ Refs are human, too, and you’ve got to respect them. I think he’s going to have to win the refs over on the ice to get some calls. When you get hit, get up and continue the play, don’t dive, don’t look at the ref and put your hands in the air. I’m not saying he has done that much but at the same time I would get it if he did. There were four or five infractions (against the Blues) where he never got a call.

“You have to have a relationship with a ref. You have to say, ‘Listen, I’m not going to dive or show you up but you’ve got to protect me sometimes. I can't get sticks in the face by the bench or get punched in the head in a scrum.’ I think there’s a give and take and most of these referees are good guys who will listen and don’t take things personally, but again you’ve got to develop a relationship with them.”

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
1 million salary and a 30 million insurance policy, he will get more that way.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Anyone who farts in the general direction of Johnny Hockey gets a game misconduct. If Garland can get there, we’re gonna be okay.
Except during playoffs. Little guys gotta find a way, or they’re toast. Makes StLoius’ career all the more meaningful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad