Speculation: How many sellers will there be?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean we aready have a few sellers, we got Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit, NYR, LA, SJ Ducks, Devils.

But then there are teams right on the bubble, teeams thatt depending on how the next 10 days go, could be buyers or sellers.

Carolina, NYI, Philadelphia, Columbus, Arizona maybe even Calgary. and Chicago.

I don't remember the last time there were this money potential sellers is this the year there are more sellers than buyers?

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Philly honestly probably doesn’t sell or buy. Small add if they go or Bruan might be the only one if they collapse.

nothing major I would guess.

I think they do their work in the Summer.

Reactions: Tripod

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Philly honestly probably doesn’t sell or buy. Small add

nothing major I would guess.

I think they do their work in the Summer.
I am expecting a similar situation with Lou,in his 2nd season with the isles.

Nothing major at the TDL, bring Sorokin over this summer and see if there is a trade that improves the forward group this summer.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Sellers:
West : Ana, SJ, LA
MIN should but does not seem enclined to do so.
East: NJ, Ottawa, Detroit, NYR
BUF, MTL should be until the TDL but there is still hope and BUF as well as MTL want to make the playoffs so you never know

Buyers:
AZ will need to buy more, they won't risk trading for Hall and missing the playoffs
Basically all playoffs teams need either Defense (WPG, VGK, EDM...) or offensive depths like every year. I know mister obvious ;)

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I mean we aready have a few sellers, we got Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit, NYR, LA, SJ Ducks, Devils.

But then there are teams right on the bubble, teeams thatt depending on how the next 10 days go, could be buyers or sellers.

I don't remember the last time there were this money potential sellers is this the year there are more sellers than buyers?
Chicago I think should sell but they are close enough to wait 2 weeks to decide. Arizona is an interesting case. Imagine Hall getting traded again. Philly after 3 points verses pens and avs aren't selling. Only trades Flyers make are 1) does Ghost get traded 2) smallish depth forward ie nate thompsons of the world.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets are sellers, no team can survive leading the NHL in injuries (including Buff), top D walking out/retiring in one season and it’s all unplanned.

Jets can start selling and taking on any terms deals that end this season as dumps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Troy

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But as I said to that poster I don't think Florida and Toronto can sell.
The Flyers didn't upgrade from Gudas to Niskanen, add Braun, and add Hayes to be sellers either though. None of the teams really close will be sellers unless something really bad goes wrong in the next 3 weeks....like go 2-8 from here to the deadline.

Reactions: dats81 and Rebels57

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Probably about 1/3rd of the league will be out of it enough to sell. That doesn't mean the other 2/3rds will be big time buyers though. Some teams on the fringe will probably not be comfortable enough to spend major assets, but will keep some of their own UFAs as "own-rentals".

Last year, roughly 1/3rd of the league actually paid out for a rental near the deadline. So maybe that points to the league being split into three roughly equal groups of buyers, sellers, and teams that are in limbo.

It would be an interesting project for someone to go back and see how many buyers and sellers there have been at each trade deadline in recent memory. We always hear buyers or sellers market, but nobody has actually done the work to quantify if and when that has been the case.

Reactions: neelynugs

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The Flyers will definitely NOT be sellers. They have a chance to finish top 3 in the division. If Patrick isn't coming back they may look to add but they also may just re-call Morgan Frost and let it ride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad