Speculation: How many sellers will there be?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As I see it these teams should 100% Sellers
Wings
Sens
Devils
NYR
Sharks
Ducks
Kings
Wild

There are a lot of bubble teams, we have three weeks still and if one team goes on a heater while others fall apart will dictate where they stand.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Toronto wasn't included for the same reason Florida isn't included I don't tnink either team sells, I don't think they can.

Well who would Calgary sell? Hamonic? We're keeping One of Ham/Bro for next season, and i don't really see who else we can sell, maybe Talbot, Rinaldo, but the thing was mainly pointed at the teams points/6-10th in the west or east

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Was going to post this, Leafs are as much a bubble team as the rest.

Like im not trying to put down the leafs here, but even Van isnt guaranteed a spot rn, any of the Pacific team loses 4+ games in a row, they're pretty much giving up their season, i only see the bottom 5-8 teams really "selling"

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I mean we aready have a few sellers, we got Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit, NYR, LA, SJ Ducks, Devils.

But then there are teams right on the bubble, teeams thatt depending on how the next 10 days go, could be buyers or sellers.

Carolina, NYI, Philadelphia, Columbus, Arizona maybe even Calgary. and Chicago.

I don't remember the last time there were this money potential sellers is this the year there are more sellers than buyers?

WHY IS TORONTO NOT ON THIS LIST ? Leafs fans are a trip for sure

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I mean we aready have a few sellers, we got Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit, NYR, LA, SJ Ducks, Devils.

But then there are teams right on the bubble, teeams thatt depending on how the next 10 days go, could be buyers or sellers.

Carolina, NYI, Philadelphia, Columbus, Arizona maybe even Calgary. and Chicago.

I don't remember the last time there were this money potential sellers is this the year there are more sellers than buyers?

There were more sellers than buyers last year. It's why top-6 rental winger prices were down. You left out Winnipeg, Nashville and Minnesota as teams that could potentially sell. But even if there are a bunch of teams selling, there's not really a ton out there available to rent. That's what I think will make this a buyer's market.

Let's look at a list of potential significant rentals available What I'm counting preliminarily as significant is under-35, top-6 forward or top-4 D for their team in ES TOI/G. This is based on previous TDLs. Some of the players on these lists aren't going to end up being significant in the end.

Pending UFAs this year
Forwards: Hall (ARI), Frolik (BUF), Toffoli (LAK), Simmonds (NJD), Krieder (NYR), Fast (NYR), Pageau (OTT)
Defensemen: Green (DET), Edmundson (CAR), Scandella (MON), Vatanen (NJD), DeMelo (OTT), Dillon (SJS)

I think we can reasonably say that some of those guys don't have the full value of a significant rental. Fast, for example. Once you remove those players and teams that will end up not selling, the list is pretty small. For context, the 7 forwards on that list is fewer than the 8 who met the same criteria and were dealt last year.

Pending UFAs for 2021-22 (2-year rentals)
Forwards: Stepan (ARI), Johansson (BUF), Saad (CHI), Foligno (CBJ), Iafalo (LAK), Tatar (MON), Gallagher (MON), Danault (MON), Palmieri (NJD), Zajac (NJD), Coleman (NJD)
Defensemen: Goligoski (ARI), Demers (ARI), Gudbranson (ANA), McCabe (BUF), Brodie (CGY), Hamonic (CGY), Savard (CBJ), Nemeth (DET), Martinez (LAK), Brodin (MIN), Petry (MON), Niskanen (PHI), Kulikov (WPG)

Once you remove the same players as mentioned above and the guys that will probably end up re-signed, this list is pretty small too.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wild don't have any pending UFA's that they would need to sell, so while I could see pieces like Zucker, Brodin, Dumba, Donato, maybe Foligno moved, it's also not necessary that we do so, and Guerin might hang on to them until the summer. Especially the guys like Zucker, Brodin and Dumba, where he's far more likely to find a "hockey trade" for them.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Oh they could, any of Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen/Spezza/Ceci could be offered depending on the direction Dubas wants to go.

Leafs are not going to be selling. They are going all in. If anybody will be traded it will be for someone who can help now, as well as the following years. Dubas is not selling.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Leafs are not going to be selling. They are going all in. If anybody will be traded it will be for someone who can help now, as well as the following years. Dubas is not selling.
Because they are not going to be selling. They will probably be going all in. I can't speak for those other teams as I don't follow them closely.

So even though the Leafs are grouped right with the other teams they are not considered the same . The OP said the next 10 days will make a difference . If the leafs fail in the next 10 days they should still be buying ? No high picks to offer ? How do they buy? Stop offering the same 3 pieces to every team. I can't wait for the Metro to send 5 teams to the playoffs and Toronto to be in the lottery with no first round pick. Why wouldn't any or all of the teams grouped together be buyers or at least not sellers?

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I think if you're going to count teams like Carolina, Calgary, Philly, Arizona as bubble teams, you better add Toronto, Edmonton, LV etc...
I think of those teams the Oilers are most desperate to make the playoffs and will most likely add not sell. They cant keep wasting Mcdavids prime years

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
WHY IS TORONTO NOT ON THIS LIST ? Leafs fans are a trip for sure

For the same reason Florida isn't they can't. sell right now.

But Beyond that it sounds like Muzzin is going to stay so even if they were sellers, Barrie is basically it.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Buffalo won’t be a seller. They have nothing to sell. Giveaway maybe. But nothing that anyone sane gm would want.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So even though the Leafs are grouped right with the other teams they are not considered the same . The OP said the next 10 days will make a difference . If the leafs fail in the next 10 days they should still be buying ? No high picks to offer ? How do they buy? Stop offering the same 3 pieces to every team. I can't wait for the Metro to send 5 teams to the playoffs and Toronto to be in the lottery with no first round pick. Why wouldn't any or all of the teams grouped together be buyers or at least not sellers?

If the Leafs did enter the lottery and somehow won they'd keep the pick it's top 10 protected.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I think of those teams the Oilers are most desperate to make the playoffs and will most likely add not sell. They cant keep wasting Mcdavids prime years

Its more so that the Pacific is tight and any team can fall out if they lose 4 or more games straight, i don't believe any of the Pacific teams are set yet

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
my sellers right now

Wings
Kings
Sharks
Devils
Sens
Ducks
Wild (sorry)
Sabres
Rangers
Montreal (sorry you guys in the hole)

All other teams are in strking distance of the wild card spot

the next two weeks will cause other teams to become sellers--but for me that is the list right now

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Well who would Calgary sell? Hamonic? We're keeping One of Ham/Bro for next season, and i don't really see who else we can sell, maybe Talbot, Rinaldo, but the thing was mainly pointed at the teams points/6-10th in the west or east
They shouldn't be selling anyone at this point. They're in a wild card spot and a team should only sell if they are at least 8 points or so out.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Pacific 3 teams
Atlantic 3 or 4
Metro 2
Central 1 or 2

So 30% of the league. Sellers market?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
They shouldn't be selling anyone at this point. They're in a wild card spot and a team should only sell if they are at least 8 points or so out.

Im not saying Calgary should sell, i was asking who we would cause the OP listed Calgary as a bubble team but didn't name all the bubbles

Reactions: Mike Jones

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
my sellers right now

Wings
Kings
Sharks
Devils
Sens
Ducks
Wild (sorry)
Sabres
Rangers
Montreal (sorry you guys in the hole)

All other teams are in strking distance of the wild card spot

the next two weeks will cause other teams to become sellers--but for me that is the list right now

What's there to be sorry about? Most Wild fans understand the position the team is in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad