Speculation: How many sellers will there be?

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Only thing the Leafs can sell are Barrie, Muzzin (sounds like he wants to stay) and Spezza.

The Leafs have several forwards for trade but they would want NHL ready players in return not picks and the return would most likely be defence.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Well who would Calgary sell? Hamonic? We're keeping One of Ham/Bro for next season, and i don't really see who else we can sell, maybe Talbot, Rinaldo, but the thing was mainly pointed at the teams points/6-10th in the west or east

Calgary can sell Hamonic, Brodie, Talbot, Jankowski. And Calgary should be listening on Gaudreau, Monahan and Backlund(these are more of off season trades) but get the word out there. This core needs a shake up.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
They shouldn't be selling anyone at this point. They're in a wild card spot and a team should only sell if they are at least 8 points or so out.

The Flames should be in sellers mode, they are not good enough to do anything in the playoffs and they are not good enough to get a high pick, they are stuck in no man's land.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
The Flames should be in sellers mode, they are not good enough to do anything in the playoffs and they are not good enough to get a high pick, they are stuck in no man's land.

Agreed that the Flames aren't constructed well enough to do damage in the playoffs but there's a reason why 20-25 teams aren't sellers.

Plenty of low seed teams can do well (Blues, Kings, Hurricanes most recently) and at this stage of the season we're looking at a difference between 15th pick and 10th pick. That's not worth missing out on the playoffs for.

I despise this mentality that the only things worth working towards are a top 3 draft pick or a guaranteed Stanley Cup, especially since neither is ever guaranteed no matter how well or poorly your roster is constructed. The time to tank is the summer, when we're mid season and in a playoff spot that's the worst time to do it.

Reactions: hn777

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If MN doesn't have a winning record in the next 6 games they should be judicious( as opposed to fire) sellers. At least one Dman out of Pateryn, Dumba and Brodin, and at least one wing out of Donato, Zucker, and...well, just about anyone but Fiala, but the return would be have to be very good to net Kunin or Greenway.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Agreed that the Flames aren't constructed well enough to do damage in the playoffs but there's a reason why 20-25 teams aren't sellers.

Plenty of low seed teams can do well (Blues, Kings, Hurricanes most recently) and at this stage of the season we're looking at a difference between 15th pick and 10th pick. That's not worth missing out on the playoffs for.

I despise this mentality that the only things worth working towards are a top 3 draft pick or a guaranteed Stanley Cup, especially since neither is ever guaranteed no matter how well or poorly your roster is constructed. The time to tank is the summer, when we're mid season and in a playoff spot that's the worst time to do it.

The Flames have been stuck in no man's land for far too long, it is time to make the hard decisions.

I think it better for the team long term to miss the playoffs, get a good pick(they also have a chance to win the draft), missing the playoffs puts real pressure on management to make changes to the core of this team and get a really good coach.

Right now this team is mentally fragile, it would not surprise me if they lost the playoff spot(if they do, I think it good for the long term.)

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I agree but Treliving doesn't seem to be the type to think this way. He seems bullish enough to keep going into the playoffs and get some money from the 2-3 home dates they'll get. If he sells they don't get that money. The Leafs were caught in a spiral of mediocrity like this before people came on board who could manage a rebuild with some competence.

Reactions: viper0220

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
If MN doesn't have a winning record in the next 6 games they should be judicious( as opposed to fire) sellers. At least one Dman out of Pateryn, Dumba and Brodin, and at least one wing out of Donato, Zucker, and...well, just about anyone but Fiala, but the return would be have to be very good to net Kunin or Greenway.

Minnesota will never be sellers . It's crazy to think wild should trade greenway or Luke kunin.

Also wild don't have to be in a hurry to trade brodin unless it's overpayment.

Wild are already tanking naturalna because Dubnyk sucks

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
The Flames have been stuck in no man's land for far too long, it is time to make the hard decisions.

I think it better for the team long term to miss the playoffs, get a good pick(they also have a chance to win the draft), missing the playoffs puts real pressure on management to make changes to the core of this team and get a really good coach.

Right now this team is mentally fragile, it would not surprise me if they lost the playoff spot(if they do, I think it good for the long term.)

Except you can easily make sweeping changes like firing the coach, GM and blowing up the core with a first round exit. Those actions are not mutually exclusive with missing the playoffs. We already know that the way Calgary fell apart in the playoffs was enough to tick off management and shorten the leash the team has with regards to this core of players. That's why there's so much more trade chatter with the likes of Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie, Hamonic etc. this year compared to last year at this same time. Another massive failure in the playoffs and we can guarantee that at least 2 members of the core group are gone one way or another.

The only advantageous action you can only perform while missing the playoffs (that you can't do making the playoffs) is win the lottery and move up in the draft. At this point there's at best a minuscule shot at a top 10 spot in the draft. So you are sacrificing a lot of trust, reputation, prestige and straight cash for at best a 9.8% chance at landing a top 3 draft pick.

The playoff money is one thing, but when you as an organization lose the belief among players, agents and other teams that you are capable of acting in good faith for the people in your circle, that is hard to get back and can actually cost you. This isn't a team in the bottom 5 trying to secure a higher pick Sam Hinkie style, you're advocating a team, CURRENTLY IN THE PLAYOFFS, to give up and blow it up as if they were a bottom feeder for a very creaky lottery ticket. You'd be blacklisted from the league for lack of compete before you came close to seeing tangible results.

It's like a guy who says he's gonna start a podcast, but who always waits to actually start until after he's got a perfect, million dollar setup. Most big, modern internet entertainers started small, worked up because they had a good base (they're interesting) even without a perfect setup, and slowly added what was needed technically until they have those big fancy setups with all the tech that people salivate over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chadstudsky

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What makes them different in your mind ? With your team so young as a core they would be the perfect team to sell off what is leaving as an UFA .

Well first off, there isn't really much to sell, it sounds like Muzzin is going to be extended so you would basically be selling Barrie, I guess you could count Ceci but Barrie is the guy, I don't count Kapanen, Johnsson and Kerfoot because they wouldn't be sold, they go for defense.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I agree but Treliving doesn't seem to be the type to think this way. He seems bullish enough to keep going into the playoffs and get some money from the 2-3 home dates they'll get. If he sells they don't get that money. The Leafs were caught in a spiral of mediocrity like this before people came on board who could manage a rebuild with some competence.
And it might not be all on treliving, ownership could be pushing for the extra revenue. Really thought you guys were gonna be good this year.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
And it might not be all on treliving, ownership could be pushing for the extra revenue. Really thought you guys were gonna be good this year.
This bunch preferred Lucic over Neal so no, they were never going to amount to much. The team is pretty much in the same state they were when Feaster was denying reality and refusing to enter a rebuild. They should sell and start over but those 2-3 playoff dates must be dancing in the owners' faces.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Sellers:
West : Ana, SJ, LA
MIN should but does not seem enclined to do so.
East: NJ, Ottawa, Detroit, NYR
BUF, MTL should be until the TDL but there is still hope and BUF as well as MTL want to make the playoffs so you never know

Buyers:
AZ will need to buy more, they won't risk trading for Hall and missing the playoffs
Basically all playoffs teams need either Defense (WPG, VGK, EDM...) or offensive depths like every year. I know mister obvious ;)

If they play the next ten like the last ten they will be trading Hall

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Sellers: DET, OTT, NYR, NJ, CHI, MIN, LA, SJ, ANA
Moderate sellers: MTL, BUF
Moderate buyers: FLA, TOR, CAR, PHI, CBJ, NYI, WIN, NSH, VAN, ARI
Buyers: BOS, TB, WSH, PIT, COL, DAL, STL, EDM, VEG, CGY

Reactions: MasterMatt25

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Sellers: DET, OTT, NYR, NJ, CHI, MIN, LA, SJ, ANA
Moderate sellers: MTL, BUF
Moderate buyers: FLA, TOR, CAR, PHI, CBJ, NYI, WIN, NSH, VAN, ARI
Buyers: BOS, TB, WSH, PIT, COL, DAL, STL, EDM, VEG, CGY
This. Only Habs I see being sold are Kovalchuk and maybe Thompson

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Montreal should definitely trade Petry and Tatar retained at 50%. They both have an extra year at under 2,75mil and 2.165mil. Petry is 14 amongst dmen in ice time and on pace for 50 points, while Tatar is on pace for 70+ points. I believe those 2 are the best deal you can find at this trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad