How many points will the Sens get this year?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
But it's still way better than what we had in 2014-15. Back then, Turris was our only bonafide top 6 forward, and he wasn't even a 1st liner. Unless you count Ryan as a top 6 player, which mean you have to count him this year too.

Exactly the same as in 2014-15, except they were both younger and worse.

Our lineup this season is better than the lineup we had in:
2012-13 (due to Karlsson and Spezza being hurt the whole season. JIM O'BRIEN was our top scorer for most of the season)
2014-15 (as explained earlier)
2015-16 (Turris was hurt most of the season, Smith-Pageau-Stone was our 1st line)

Yet we made the playoffs in two of those seasons, and the other was nowhere near as bad as everyone is making out this one to be.

Instead of saying "I don't have to explain", present an argument and facts. I've presented some that prove you wrong.
In 2015 we had 7 forwards playing at a >40 point pace, including 3 of them over 50.

We had a Norris trophy winner, and a legit top 4 d-man as his partner.

We had one of the most improbable runs by a goalie ever.

What kind of explanation are you looking for? This is basic stuff. The rosters weren’t even close.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
In 2015 we had 7 forwards playing at a >40 point pace, including 3 of them over 50.

What kind of explanation are you looking for? This is basic stuff. The rosters weren’t even close.

But you're citing this AFTER THE SEASON. I'm talking about at the beginning of the season, which is where we are now. At the beginning of the season we had exactly one top 6 forward, Turris, and he wasn't even considered a 1st line player. Hoffman and Stone were complete unknowns. We had no idea they would have fantastic seasons, especially not calder worth like Stone's. As it stands today, we're in a far far better position than we were at the beginning of the 2014-15 season.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
But you're citing this AFTER THE SEASON. I'm talking about at the beginning of the season, which is where we are now. At the beginning of the season we had exactly one top 6 forward, Turris, and he wasn't even considered a 1st line player. Hoffman and Stone were complete unknowns. We had no idea they would have fantastic seasons, especially not calder worth like Stone's. As it stands today, we're in a far far better position than we were at the beginning of the 2014-15 season.
Ryan and Macarthur were top-6 forwards at the time, Zib was developing as one from the previous season. The offence also had a lot of help with Karlsson feeding them pucks and transitioning the puck.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Ryan and Macarthur were top-6 forwards at the time, Zib was developing as one from the previous season. The offence also had a lot of help with Karlsson feeding them pucks and transitioning the puck.

If this is your standard for top 6 forwards, then Ryan and Dzingel are top 6 forwards too. Ryan is the same player, and Dzingel was our leading scorer last season (and had more points that Zib ever had at the time).

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If this is your standard for top 6 forwards, then Ryan and Dzingel are top 6 forwards too. Ryan is the same player, and Dzingel was our leading scorer last season.
Dzingel is borderline atm, could easily change this year. Wait he’s a UFA too and could be gone before the deadline as well...

And lol at Ryan being the same player.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

*****ing bandwagoner. Chabot-Ceci can totally be Methot-Karlsson bro.

Reactions: solidprospect

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
56 Points. Boucher wins coach of the year.

Points is mostly based on my belief that Anderson and bottom 4 D will have a real tough time keeping the puck out of the net.

The other big question mark to me is Boucher. The roster that parlayed his strict system to the Eastern finals was full of experienced vets, or at least players that had 2-3 years experience. If the youth has to learn his system I believe it will be a really hard first half of the year. Can he adapt and let the youth run/grow/learn in a system that doesn't have him chastising them every time they come off the ice?

Further, there is no new leadership in the room/organisation, and the leadership there might be traded...any day, and the team just got a lot younger, and it's going to be a pretty bad year on the score sheets, and the owner is going to be pissed off all the time, and the national media will continue to be circling the carcas, and we don't know if last years drama has truly been settled, etc. etc.

If Boucher can navigate all this and come out of the season with all of the young players having developed and being relatively happy then he should get coach of the year...even with 56 points.

SENSability

Oct 13, 2017
Gee . . . you guys are giving them a lot of points. My first thought was 25 but seeing's as most of you think they'll do much better than that, I'll raise it to 45-50 points. I just don't see this team doing anything at all this year . . . or maybe I'm still too upset about Karlson and am not thinking straight. :(

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
wow..tough call. We lost one of our best goal scorers and the best defensmen in the league....hard to say if the locker room is even fixed as a result of those players leaving so there's that as well. Apparently the plan is to play the kids...and most likely loose a veteran or two again at the trade deadline. Unless Boucher can pull of some kind of miracle I really can't see them winning more than 30 games. So perhaps in the 60-70 point range.

A realistic and likely accurate outlook. I honestly dont mind the forward group, its not elite or anything but its not horrible. The D core though is hands down the worst in the NHL. Hoping Anderson has a bounce back year or this will get ugly.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't understand why people think this season is going to be that bad.

When we traded Spezza away, everyone had it as a slam dunk that we would finish last or 2nd last in the conference. We didn't have a single first line player. Going into the season, our top 6 was Turris, Ryan, Zibanejad, MacArthur, Michalek and one of the 3rd/4th liners like Legwand or Condra. Our D was garbage too. Our bottom 4 D were Gryba, Weircioch, Boro and Cowen. Methot was injured half the season. Hoffman and Stone had good rookie seasons, and we made the playoffs.

This year we have two legit 1st line players, and we have more rookies with the potential to break out. Our forward core is deeper. Way deeper than it's ever been in a long time.

The season hasn't even started yet and people are throwing the towel. Good lord.... That's pathetic. ****ing bandwagoners.

Simply for the fact that Karlsson was traded not only for futures but FORWARDS.

DeMelo doesn't bring much more than any of Harpur, Boro, Englund and even Bergman can do, bottom pairing D. Tierney wasn't needed until Pageau went down in injury. Balcers is a nice prospect but he is a forward, something the team has already a ton of (good forward prospects close to making the team). Norris is still in college. 1st round pick, 2nd round pick and conditionals won't help for a few years.

So basically, for our best D-man and player, we got a Pageau replacement, a young forward who has a chance to crack the line-up (like many others), a D-man who is going to compete for a bottom spot and futures.

If the Karlsson trade (even if we didn't want that) was for Miller/Theodore, Brannstrom, Haula and a 1st, then maybe I'd be more optimistic for our chances this season. I'm not sure why Dorion was not able to get that. Karlsson didn't want to extend in Vegas?

=========================================

Anyway, I still have them doing a little bit better than last year because many factors can go their way this year :

- Boucher reinventing himself (it's been proven that his much too complicated system doesn't work anymore in the NHL)
- Andy and Condon providing much better goaltending (they were arguably the worst tandem last season)
- the youth impact (I'm expecting Chabot, Wolanin, Tkachuk, Chlapik, White and Paul to make the team right away or eventually)
- Stone and Ryan staying healthy, hopefully no other significant injury than Pageau (but we've been screwed by injuries every year since can't remember when)
- team chemistry is the key

This is how I envision it (or hope it shapes us like this). Lines could be different but that's my top-9 and top-4 :

Dzingel-Duchene-Ryan
Tkachuk-Tierney-Stone
Boedker-Chlapik-White
Paajarvi-Paul-Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot-Wideman
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-DeMelo
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

* traded Zack Smith for a pick, so Paul can have the 4th line C spot (and Melnyk saves more money)

** I have Wideman with Chabot, because I believe he's one of the few that could outplay his depth for a short period of time. If he succeeds, we could actually get a good return for him at the deadline, so PLEASE Boucher do this. It's been proven that Ceci can't outplay his depth, he should be your 4th best D-man max.

I would agree that this line-up will be massively underrated but even if many things go right, I still can't see them making the playoffs. Everything would need to go 99% right for them to make the playoffs. Don't like those odds

But it's still way better than what we had in 2014-15. Back then, Turris was our only bonafide top 6 forward, and he wasn't even a 1st liner. Unless you count Ryan as a top 6 player, which mean you have to count him this year too.

2014-15 was BEFORE Ryan started to have recurrent injuries though. He was still a 0.7 PPG forward then (which is mid/low end 1st line production). Last 2 seasons, he had 0.40 (plus that exceptional playoffs run) and 0.53 (which is good 3rd line production and low end 2nd line production). It's like we have traded first liner Ryan for middle-sixer Ryan since then. Exactly like Hoffman for Boedker.

No you're right in principle, things could go better than expected but you need several breakouts like 2 young forwards breaking into top-6 scorers (and/or Ryan and Boedker bouncing back significantly), Chabot breaking out as a legit top pairing D-man and Wolanin breaking out as a legit 2nd pairing D-man (plus other factors like goaltending bouncing back, Boucher bouncing back, health not being a problem and team chemistry being much better than last season)

If all those things happen then yeah, they could have a much better season than we expect.

Gee . . . you guys are giving them a lot of points. My first thought was 25 but seeing's as most of you think they'll do much better than that, I'll raise it to 45-50 points. I just don't see this team doing anything at all this year . . . or maybe I'm still too upset about Karlson and am not thinking straight. :(

Youth excitement and absolutely no pressure will help them this season. If they were expected to make the playoffs, they would fail horribly.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
A realistic and likely accurate outlook. I honestly dont mind the forward group, its not elite or anything but its not horrible. The D core though is hands down the worst in the NHL. Hoping Anderson has a bounce back year or this will get ugly.
Agree if JGP was there its even a bit better....At least we have some depth now...But that defense specially the right side......Yeah we gonna get lit up

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agree if JGP was there its even a bit better....At least we have some depth now...But that defense specially the right side......Yeah we gonna get lit up

Yeah losing JGP is really tough, especially after watching Tierney he is not anywhere close to being a 2nd line centerman. I cant believe he was the best player they got back in the deal but that's a different discussion all together.

Duchene Pageau Tierney Smith isnt great or anything but it could have competed. Still pissed they didnt bring Pius Suter to camp he would be huge right now for the depth.

Anyways the most concerning thing for me is the D core and the PK. Who is going to PK on D? Ben Harpur is not an NHL player.

Wolanin, Chabot and Wideman belong no where close to a PK. So are they going to run 3 with Ceci, Boro and Demelo? Does Demelo PK? Man they really needed to get Braun back instead. Good grief that trade sucks so much.

Reactions: topshelf15

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah losing JGP is really tough, especially after watching Tierney he is not anywhere close to being a 2nd line centerman. I cant believe he was the best player they got back in the deal but that's a different discussion all together.

Duchene Pageau Tierney Smith isnt great or anything but it could have competed. Still pissed they didnt bring Pius Suter to camp he would be huge right now for the depth.

Anyways the most concerning thing for me is the D core and the PK. Who is going to PK on D? Ben Harpur is not an NHL player.

Wolanin, Chabot and Wideman belong no where close to a PK. So are they going to run 3 with Ceci, Boro and Demelo? Does Demelo PK? Man they really needed to get Braun back instead. Good grief that trade sucks so much.

Dorion to Melnyk :

PD : "yeah, got all those young pieces for Karlsson + Justin Braun who I believe will help offset EK loss a bit."

Melnyk looks at Braun salary (3.8 for next 2 years) and age (31) :

EM : "hmmm, could you find somebody with less salary owed?"

PD : "yeah I guess there's Dylan DeMelo"..........

:rant:

Chabot-Braun
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman
Harpur

would have been a much more acceptable defense. Braun is a bit similar to what Methot was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad