How many points will the Sens get this year?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
My argument for why they might surprise this season:

Last season, complacency was a real issue. Nobody on the team was a pending UFA. On top of that, the roster was basically on lockdown from day 1. There weren't really any spots open in training camp. None of the kids really "made the team" out of camp. It was easy for players to relax a bit, and in a Guy Boucher system, that's a death sentence.

This season? The polar opposite. There's fierce competition from the kids and plenty of open spots. If any of the "settled" vets underperform, like Smith, Pyatt, Paajarvi, etc, they're guaranteed to get shipped out or send down to make room for the kids. On top of that, most of the key top players are pending UFAs. Everybody is going to be ultra motivated.

I know it's easy to say "they're NHLers, they should try all the time", but in reality parity is so tight that these tiniest edges can make a big difference.

Reactions: Engineer

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'll go with 68 in honor of my favorite player shipped off for nothing.

I think the bottom falls out and we have a really terrible season.

Goaltending and offense are both concerning, but our defense in particular looks awful on paper.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I'll say somewhere in the high 50's to low 60's. Most likely the worst team in the league.

Where are the goals going to come from? We only have 4 players in the entire organization that have had a 50 point season in the NHL, and two of those guys [Ryan and Boedker] will probably never reach that plateau again.

How is the team going to prevent goals? How are Chabot, Ceci, Wideman, Narc Borowiecki, Harpur and DeMelo going to prevent the likes of Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnak from scoring at will against us?

Will Anderson/Condon make any saves this season? Who knows.

Happy to be wrong here, but even Dorion himself could only muster a half-hearted "we're a team" when asked what he's optimistic about.

Reactions: Alex1234

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
68 points 26 - 44 - 12

Defending and Goaltending will be an issue. I think the team will play hard and with enthusiasm.

TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

Andy or Condo will have to play out of their minds

Stone will have to have an MVP like season, 90 points +. And another player will have to rise into that elite territory (Tkachuk, Duch, Ryan)

Someone on the team will have to score 20 PP goals

Chabot will need 50 points. Another Dman will need to get 40 points.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Man this season is going to really hurt. We know we gonna do poorly and we don't even have our 1st while still recovering from losing the best player to ever play for our team... at his peak. Not as bad as when Toronto had to suck for two whole seasons and watch a top 2-5 pick go to another team but we are going to be the punching bag for the entire league for the next 8-10 months.

The only hope we have to putting this misery behind us is if Menlyk sells and we retain Stone and EK comes back. Otherwise... if there's a lock-out... damn, we'll have 2 of the most gruesome years to re-call as Sens fans and our only shining light would be a chance at Laferniere thats a whole 2 years from now. 2 years is long time boys, Im likely to finish my thesis, have a wife and kid that time, damn bro I wanted to see EK lift a cup before life got too real. Amazing how one man's greed can impact an enjoyable pastime/escape for thousands. I wish all the best to Melnyk and hope he comes to realization instead of burn himself and his image to the ground.

I recommend y'all find another hobby or investment cause this season gonna be terrible emotional rollercoaster down spiral.

Last edited:

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Man this season is going to really hurt. We know we gonna do poorly and we don't even have our 1st while still recovering from losing the best player to ever play for our team... at his peak. Not as bad as when Toronto had to suck for two whole seasons and watch a top 2-5 pick go to another team but we are going to be the punching bag for the entire league for the next 8-10 months.

The only hope we have to putting this misery behind us is if Menlyk sells and we retain Stone and EK comes back. Otherwise... if there's a lock-out... damn, we'll have 2 of the most gruesome years to re-call as Sens fans and our only shining light would be a chance at Laferniere thats a whole 2 years from now. 2 years is long time boys, Im likely to finish my thesis, have a wife and kid that time, damn bro I wanted to see EK lift a cup before life got too real. Amazing how one man's greed can impact an enjoyable pastime/escape for thousands. I wish all the best to Melnyk and hope he comes to realization instead of burn himself and his image to the ground.

I recommend y'all find another hobby or investment cause this season gonna be terrible emotional rollercoaster down spiral.
Lol no kidding. Season hasn't even started yet and I already want it over with.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sad part is that it sounds like if there's any chance we keep Stone and/or Duchene, it will depend on how our season goes. Feels like they're gone already.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I don't understand why people think this season is going to be that bad.

When we traded Spezza away, everyone had it as a slam dunk that we would finish last or 2nd last in the conference. We didn't have a single first line player. Going into the season, our top 6 was Turris, Ryan, Zibanejad, MacArthur, Michalek and one of the 3rd/4th liners like Legwand or Condra. Our D was garbage too. Our bottom 4 D were Gryba, Weircioch, Boro and Cowen. Methot was injured half the season. Hoffman and Stone had good rookie seasons, and we made the playoffs.

This year we have two legit 1st line players, and we have more rookies with the potential to break out. Our forward core is deeper. Way deeper than it's ever been in a long time.

The season hasn't even started yet and people are throwing the towel. Good lord.... That's pathetic. f***ing bandwagoners.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I don't understand why people think this season is going to be that bad.

When we traded Spezza away, everyone had it as a slam dunk that we would finish last or 2nd last in the conference. We didn't have a single first line player. Going into the season, our top 6 was Turris, Ryan, Zibanejad, MacArthur, Michalek and one of the 3rd/4th liners like Legwand or Condra. Our D was garbage too. Our bottom 4 D were Gryba, Weircioch, Boro and Cowen. Methot was injured half the season. Hoffman and Stone had good rookie seasons, and we made the playoffs.

This year we have two legit 1st line players, and we have more rookies with the potential to break out. Our forward core is deeper. Way deeper than it's ever been in a long time.

The season hasn't even started yet and people are throwing the towel. Good lord.... That's pathetic. ****ing bandwagoners.
Let’s see...

Worst offence in the league, worst d-corps in the league, goaltending is questionable, and no 1st rounder. Also a good chance our two best forwards will be gone by season’s end.

You can’t honestly be dumbfounded by this sentiment.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's just going to have to play out for those expecing good things.

I just don't see much of an argument that we aren't terrible on paper, especially our D and G.

It's all hope and so much has to go right that it just doesn't sem realistic. We have unproven players and vets we need to bounce back all over the lineup, including both goalies.

Our best two D haven't played in the roles they're about to be thrust in to and are the only potential D that have played top 4 somewhat effectively. If anything, our bottom pair of Narky B and Wideman are our most well known commodity. If Ceci remains Ceci and Chabot doesn't break out as expected, we're hooped and out of options.

We also have to consider that even if we're playing well at the deadline, we 110% have to trade any of Stone, Duchene and Dzingel if they are still not signed because the risk is not an option for a team trying to convinve their fans they're rebuilding.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Based on what?

Based on what?

Probably right

Irrelevant. Having a 1st does not help us this season. What are you going to do? Write 1st round pick on a piece of paper and throw it on the ice?
For the offence, there’s only two players that are bonafide top-6 forwards, and both could be gone soon. I really don’t need to explain this point.

We have the least experienced D in the league and Boro and Ceci are in our top 4 as the “vets”.

The lack of a 1st rounder hurts because it will seem like there is no silver lining throughout this gruelling season.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
For the offence, there’s only two players that are bonafide top-6 forwards, and both could be gone soon. I really don’t need to explain this point.

But it's still way better than what we had in 2014-15. Back then, Turris was our only bonafide top 6 forward, and he wasn't even a 1st liner. Unless you count Ryan as a top 6 player, which mean you have to count him this year too.

We have the least experienced D in the league and Boro and Ceci are in our top 4 as the “vets”.

Exactly the same as in 2014-15, except they were both younger and worse.

Our lineup this season is better than the lineup we had in:
2012-13 (due to Karlsson and Spezza being hurt the whole season. JIM O'BRIEN was our top scorer for most of the season)
2014-15 (as explained earlier)
2015-16 (Turris was hurt most of the season, Smith-Pageau-Stone was our 1st line)

Yet we made the playoffs in two of those seasons, and the other was nowhere near as bad as everyone is making out this one to be.

Instead of saying "I don't have to explain", present an argument and facts. I've presented some that prove you wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad