How Many Points Will The Leafs Get Next Season?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
At this point in time, we're going into next season mainly without: Kessel, Franson, Clarkson, Santorelli, and Booth.

Otherwise, the team at this point looks basically the same.

We have added: Marincin, Hunwick, Harrington, Parenteau, Spaling, Arcobello, Hyman, Bailey, Soshnikov

We obviously have Babcock instead of Carlyle/Horachek

Note: Trevor Smith also played in 54 games for us last year and I count Bailey as a new player because he only played 6 games for us last year.

Last year's record: 30-44-8 (68 points)

Post below the number of points you think the Leafs will get next season.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
70 to 80. I think that's being optimistic. This team is awful on paper. I kinda wouldn't be surprised if they overachieve, though, and blow us away by actually being in a playoff race.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
70 to 80. I think that's being optimistic. This team is awful on paper. I kinda wouldn't be surprised if they overachieve, though, and blow us away by actually being in a playoff race.

Who are the Leafs better than in the East? Last year it was only Buffalo.
Carolina was close.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Who are the Leafs better than in the East? Last year it was only Buffalo.
Carolina was close.

Who knows? There is always teams who underachieve and overachieve. Who knows what kind of effect Babcock is going to have? Who knows what kind of effect subtracting Kessel from the equation is going to have?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Leafs won't be nearly as bad as people think next year, but they still won't be turning heads either.

Funny thing is, even without Kessel, the team likely still should get around the same amount of points if not more next season.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
I don't think people realize how bad we were on the road in 2015. We had a single win against Florida in which both goalies were hurt. I just don't see this happening again.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think people realize how bad we were on the road in 2015. We had a single win against Florida in which both goalies were hurt. I just don't see this happening again.

That's what happens to BAD teams.. This is a BAD team. I don't see that happening again either, but this season they will be bad from start to finish. Not good for a half a season then suck ass the second half. If they are bad for the whole season, they will still finish with around the same points they had last season

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Last year 68 points this year around 85 points.

So far its the same roster as last year minus only Kessel and with Babcock their should be noticeable improvement.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Who knows? There is always teams who underachieve and overachieve. Who knows what kind of effect Babcock is going to have? Who knows what kind of effect subtracting Kessel from the equation is going to have?

Yes a Babcock coached team is an unknown.
We could be a hard working team that can't score. We could be a better team but one that still loses currently on skill. We could take teams by surprise that don't work hard on any given night. Hard to say.
All in all, you would think we should be in line for another top 5 pick.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That's what happens to BAD teams.. This is a BAD team. I don't see that happening again either, but this season they will be bad from start to finish. Not good for a half a season then suck ass the second half. If they are bad for the whole season, they will still finish with around the same points they had last season

No more collapse because we shouldn't be to high or to low. Just steady average to not so great.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yes a Babcock coached team is an unknown.
We could be a hard working team that can't score. We could be a better team but one that still loses currently on skill. We could take teams by surprise that don't work hard on any given night. Hard to say.
All in all, you would think we should be in line for another top 5 pick.

Babcock is never going to accept losing. This team is going to play hard every game. He will coach to win every game, he will not coach to lose. They will probably still lose because of lack of talent, but they will be hard to play against. It's not going to be an easy 2 points for the opposition.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We were horrendous on the road. 1 win in 2015. (and that was because we broke both goalies, and Florida didn't press hard enough).

As of today, I'd argue that

Arizona
Toronto
Carolina
New Jersey

will be the worst 4 teams.
New Jersey due to no goal scoring (again)
We don't have enough offensive talent and our defensive talent is meh
Arizona hasn't made a lot of changes, and who knows what goes on in Mike Smith's head
and Carolina is basically the same team, but is running with Ward this season so who knows how that will work out.

There is the Babcock factor, but truly I think anyone with a 1 year contract, is pick fodder. play well, get traded. (ahh. all the 2nd through 4th round picks, on the roster makes me giddy!) we'll take back not so good contracts in return and down down down we go.

I'd say the worst team number will be around 70. (I just simply don't see teams pulling sub 60 point totals this season. Buffalo (2 years in a row) & Arizona)

I think the Worst Team Total looking back the last few years, will be a mean of 65 (give or take some points)

I think we'll clock in around 67 to 75 points
Decent at home, brutal on the road - but more road points than we had this season and that is with the Babcock factor applied by the way.

So I think ultimately, this is how it will break down

Arizona
Toronto
Carolina
New Jersey

with Buffalo finishing 5th.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What are you basis Mess? that's pretty optimistic, they are not going to be .500, probably 10-15 games below .500

I'm a realist. :wg:

We now have one of the best coaches in the game and he up-coaches players, and we will have a veteran lineup next year with just a sprinkle of inexperienced youth mostly as injury replacements.

As of now this is the roster and .500 is minimum I would expect and with a few breaks even flirting with a WC spot.

JVR -- Bozak -- Parenteau
Lupul -- Kadri -- Panik
Komorov -- Spalding - Winnik
Frattin/Carrick-- Holland -- Arcobello

Hunwick --- Phaneuf
Gardner --- Rielly
Polak ------ Robidas
Marincin

Bernier
Reimer

*If Bozak and Lupul are still traded or Phaneuf the results will vary.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I'm a realist. :wg:

We now have one of the best coaches in the game and he up-coaches players, and we will have a veteran lineup next year with just a sprinkle of inexperienced youth mostly as injury replacements.

As of now this is the roster and .500 is minimum I would expect and with a few breaks even flirting with a WC spot.

JVR -- Bozak -- Parenteau
Lupul -- Kadri -- Panik
Komorov -- Spalding - Winnik
Frattin/Carrick-- Holland -- Arcobello

Hunwick --- Phaneuf
Gardner --- Rielly
Polak ------ Robidas
Marincin

Bernier
Reimer

.500 is the minimum you expect with this trash heap? .500 is the maximum I would expect.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Borderline playoff team. So... 85-95 points is my prediction.

Babcock will be an improvement over Carlyle/Horachek and losing Kessel is addition by subtraction as well. Bernier will keep this team in most games and will bounce back similar to his 2013/14 season and with a little luck, they might squeak in the playoffs.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I want to say 0 points

But Babcock is going to make this team win somehow

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
My guess is 97 points.

I think we'll be a better team without Kessel, Clarkson and Franson.

Our last two coaches talked about rolling 4 lines, but they never really iced a quality 4th line (we really should have put Komorov or Winnik as a 4th line center instead of Trevor Smith and brought up Frattin instead). With Babcock rolling 4 lines and better defensive pairings, I think we'll find ways to win games.

I think Bernier will be a top 10 NHL goalie next year too (and I think Reimer is a great back up).

Anyways, I'm a lot more optimistic about next season. If we end up trading Phaneuf, I would probably have to adjust my guess... but if this is roughly our team going into next year, I'm cautiously optimistic.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
My guess is 97 points.

I think we'll be a better team without Kessel, Clarkson and Franson.

Our last two coaches talked about rolling 4 lines, but they never really iced a quality 4th line (we really should have put Komorov or Winnik as a 4th line center instead of Trevor Smith and brought up Frattin instead). With Babcock rolling 4 lines and better defensive pairings, I think we'll find ways to win games.

I think Bernier will be a top 10 NHL goalie next year too (and I think Reimer is a great back up).

Anyways, I'm a lot more optimistic about next season. If we end up trading Phaneuf, I would probably have to adjust my guess... but if this is roughly our team going into next year, I'm cautiously optimistic.

I don't agree with the point total at the top, but I agree with the boldface. Not running 4 line hockey was so primitive.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
.500 is the minimum you expect with this trash heap? .500 is the maximum I would expect.

I saw Babcock coach an injury ravished Wings which lead the league in man games lost (including Zetts & Dats) to injury, and 1/2 a AHL line-up to a playoff spot 2 years ago. I don't think are giving him enough credit for the impact he has on players and the results.

The Babcock factor = ~ +15 points improvement.

68 points last year + Babcock factor variable quotient inflator ~ +15 = ~ 83 points (= over .500). Error margin +/- 5 points.

** If the Leafs squeaked into the playoffs as WC #8 team I wouldn't be surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00