How Many Points Will Brandon Sutter Get In The 2015/2016 Season?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Pierre McGuire on TSN1040 said he is getting 5x5, but a better number for him is 4.6

As for point totals I can't see more than 40.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'd say he'll end up with 19g-16a for 35p.

He'll get more offensive opportunity initially but Horvat is clearly the better talent and deserves to be on the 2nd PP unit.

I'd have:

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Hamhuis-Corrado

Assuming that the 1st unit is:

Sedins-Burrows
Edler-Weber

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
I think he'll split his time between 2nd and 3rd lines depending on his and Horvat's play. Lots of opportunity and motivation for both players. I think 36-40 is only a tiny bit optimistic.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Pierre McGuire on TSN1040 said he is getting 5x5, but a better number for him is 4.6

As for point totals I can't see more than 40.

It he wants that 5x5 contact he better put up 40+. Even at $4.6m I would expect 40+. All this with an elite defensive game.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Below 35. I think if he's pushing past 40 it's a case of Brian "well someone has to score" Bradley syndrome. Which means complete misuse or injury to Hank.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
35-40pts.

A lot will depend on how he ends up being used - which of Sutter/Bo gets the more offensive role and which gets the more defensive role, but i think he'll be given more opportunity than he was in Pittsburgh either way. And we're talking about a guy like Bonino who potted 39pts last year - largely on the strength of a brief hot-streak to kick off the year and then huge stretches of nothing at all and being completely invisible. I really don't think that's an unreachable benchmark for a guy like Sutter (who did it in his 2nd season in an opportunity more like the one he's walking into here). If he can notch 20g like he did last year, picking up an extra 6 or 7 assists just by virtue of playing with "more skilled" players than he did in Pittsburgh hardly seems out of the question (even if they end up secondary assists).

I think Sutter may end up being a pretty natural fit with WillieD's system. A similar-ish guy like Matthias had his big "break out" goal-scoring year working off-the-rush time and again with this system, and while he was a winger and Sutter will be in the middle...i think that combination of attributes along with a much better shot and "finish" on odd man rushes/breakaways ought to fit Sutter's skillset quite nicely. And he's going to get opportunity to play minutes here.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He'll be money for 40+ and 25 goals if he plays with some talent and decent PP minutes. Hes very good off the rush. Get him the puck with speed in those situations and hes gonna produce. Playing with 4th liners isnt real ideal for him.

He wanted a bigger role. You got the best player in the deal.

Yeah. I tend to think this may be the case. Sutter has a skillset that may really fit WillieD's system well...in concert with an increased role and PP opportunity he'll surely get as one of the only real RH shooters on our team.

I think his totals are likely to be very "goal-driven" based on the player he is...much like Matthias was here last year (and Sutter is better at quite literally everything...yet Shawn potted 18g last year here). But just playing with guys like Higgins/Burrows/Baertschi/Vrbata potentially, rather than the notoriously lackluster "depth players" of the Penguins, a few collateral points ought to end up on his scoring tally over the course of a season.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Looking forward to seeing how the predictions pan out when we resurrect this thread. :laugh:

No kidding.
People here have waaaaaaay too high expectations out of Sutter. He scored 33 points last year and played some with Evgeny Malkin.
When a player gets 21 goals and 12 assists...experience tells me the assist total is much more likely to repeat than the goal number is.
He was never a big scorer, even in junior.
I predict 21-25 points and people will be calling for Benning"s head, based on the contract numbers being rumoured for this guy. If this stump gets $4.4 million/year for 5 years, that will make the Sbisa contact look like sound financial management, in comparison.
I really think Benning has gone off the rails and a very dark period of Canucks history is beginning.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I think he'll split his time between 2nd and 3rd lines depending on his and Horvat's play. Lots of opportunity and motivation for both players. I think 36-40 is only a tiny bit optimistic.

This is exactly how it's going to be. The internal competition with drive them both and when one slows down, the other takes over.

Neither one of these guys are going to spend even 80% of the season on the second line imo.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Of this I have no doubt.

It really is ****ing depressing.

I used to legitimately feel bad for the fans of piss poorly run teams. Now we're one of them.
Have you seen our drafting record over the past decade? Christ himself couldn't save this franchise from the inevitable down cycle we're going through.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
2nd-3rd line minutes aren't really relevant under 1-2-3-4 willie and even if he sees 2nd unit pp time it's hard to envision sutter making last year's historically bad 2nd unit pp any better

i'll go with 15 - 15 - 30 pts at 4.5 million / 5 years

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
2nd-3rd line minutes aren't really relevant under 1-2-3-4 willie and even if he sees 2nd unit pp time it's hard to envision sutter making last year's historically bad 2nd unit pp any better

i'll go with 15 - 15 - 30 pts at 4.5 million / 5 years

If Sven "the passer" can take control of that 2nd Unit PP this year anything like he showed capable of in Utica...that's a big step up from what we had on the afterthought crew last year that lacked a "quarterback" all season long. Add in a guy like Sutter who is not only a RH shot which fits well with that, but can "really wire the puck" as a legitimate shooting threat (which we also never had on that unit last year)...plus, potentially you've got Tanev finally on the PP as he started to be post-extension signing to at least distribute the puck around a bit...and i think there are some ingredients for a potentially actually useful 2nd Unit Powerplay this year.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This is exactly how it's going to be. The internal competition with drive them both and when one slows down, the other takes over.

Neither one of these guys are going to spend even 80% of the season on the second line imo.

I'd agree. And in the end the team will still be "stop the Sedins and you stop the canucks" just as it always has been except worse. I love Horvat, but the only way this team keep its head above water in goal scoring is if he approaches 55 points and that is far too much pressure. And given I think the blueline and goaltending is going to be substantially worse even if he hit 55 and Sutter hit 45 I'm not sure it matters.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd agree. And in the end the team will still be "stop the Sedins and you stop the canucks" just as it always has been except worse. I love Horvat, but the only way this team keep its head above water in goal scoring is if he approaches 55 points and that is far too much pressure. And given I think the blueline and goaltending is going to be substantially worse even if he hit 55 and Sutter hit 45 I'm not sure it matters.

If the Sedins can keep close to pace from last year, Bo comes anywhere near 55pts, and Sutter is in the 45pts ballpark...the Canucks are likely an offensive dynamo in this day and age. That's effectively 2 second lines better than what we had last year...and if these guys are putting up points like that on almost certainly separate lines, there are going to be 3 lines (Sedin/Bo/Sutter lines) worth of players putting up significant offensive numbers.

I really doubt that happens, but if it did...i think it would most certainly matter. That'd put us among the elites in the West in terms of scoring depth.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think he's as offensively inclined as Bonino and Bonino produced 42points/82.

I would expect him to be in the 30-35 point range if he can find chemistry with some linemates. Could be lower if saddled with Dorsett's and Prust's in a checking role.

Voted 36-40 points, but the real question is whether he gets outscored by Bonino, who's set to earn $2.6m a year less....but at least we can now stop those odious Bonino-Kesler comparisons.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Voted 26-30
I just don't see how a guy who has already played 17 mins a game on one of the higher scoring teams in the NHL, spending over 100mins of his overall ice time with Geno Malkin (Top 3 player in the world). His matchups will be guys like Ryan Kesler, Anze Kopitar, Logan Couture and Marty Hanzel, against these types of players I just fail to see how a guy at the age of 26 is suddenly going to increase his overall point totals when he's spent 7 seasons in the NHL already and is widely known as an ineffective playmaking centre.

When the Canucks have 1 centre with more assists than goals by the end of the season it'll become much more widely accepted how piss poor this trade was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad