How many points could Matthews possibly score in a season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Don't see a way to hit even 100 points if Babcock keeps his minutes at check.
Babcock is the concern no doubt, not Matthews actual abilities. He is getting too few minutes as it is.
I said many times on this board, Marner's 69 points was quite astonishing last season if you look at his minutes and the amount of games in a btoom 6 role. Guys don't get the minutes under Babcock others do.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I think he can consistently be a 45-55 goal, 45-55 assist player. Just needs more ice time from Babcock.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
He was pacing for 83 in his sophomore season, so I'd say he's shown promise of a 90+ point ceiling. Whether he hits that or not, we'll see, but he's certainly a ~PPG level player at the moment.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Important to add this:

There was not a single player in the NHL that had a higher points per-game average than Matthews and played less than 2:10 seconds on the PP(Matthews average PP time). *these forwards played at least 50 games

Every single player that had a higher points per-game than Matthews played a lot more on the PP on average, with the vast majority of them getting over 3 minutes a game.

If he starts getting 3+ minutes on the PP next year with Marner, it has potential to be lights out.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I see a couple 90 point seasons if he can improve his playmaking. He’ll always be a good goal scorer with that shot. Anywhere between 85-90 points in most years. I’d still like to see him keep up a PPG for a full 82 game season though. I think he’ll do it as early as this year.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I see Matthews along the lines of a Sundin caliber production, aka a steady 75-85 point kinda guy with a handful of years where he dips into the 90's. But I think Matthews will be a much more prolific goal scorer than Sundin was.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
When your "logic" seems a little out in left field, expect people to question it.
A little out in left field ?

What's wrong with left field ? :huh:

More seriously, how is the original post which led to this exchange in any way wrong ?

A strong PP will NOT make the opponents more wary and lead to a more efficient 5 vs 5 ?

Less interference, less hooking, less big hits which may cross the line, more space and time for good offensive players is not a logical line of logic ?

Tough crowd...

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

More seriously, how is the original post which led to this exchange in any way wrong ?

A strong PP will NOT make the opponents more wary and lead to a more efficient 5 vs 5 ?

Less interference, less hooking, less big hits which may cross the line, more space and time for good offensive players is not a logical line of logic ?

Tough crowd...

Given what you are trying to argue against or disprove, your rebuttal is highly speculative.

The Leafs have one of the best PP in the league. Didn't seem to stop Marchand from constantly crossing the line at all.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017

Tough crowd...

It's flawed logic, though.

Toronto was already at the bottom of the league last year for PP Opportunities. Only Edmonton and Anaheim had fewer.

Toronto had the 2nd best power play in the league, with their best player playing less than half of that time.

What you're saying is that adding more ice time for Matthews on the powerplay will somehow make the overall powerplay better AND cause opponents to take even less penalties?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I see him more of a consistent 40/40 sort of player who should be able to elevate his defensive game to become one of the best two-way centres in the league. I would not be surprised if he has a career year with 50 goals/90ish points. I honestly think Marner has a better chance of putting up more points in the future.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Given what you are trying to argue against or disprove, your rebuttal is highly speculative.

The Leafs have one of the best PP in the league. Didn't seem to stop Marchand from constantly crossing the line at all.
First of all: Marchand ?

Great example of a player who once in a while doesn't use his brain.

Second, he got 2 minors, in the same game, against Toronto this season.

Constantly crossing the line ?

Very tough crowd...

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It's flawed logic, though.

Toronto was already at the bottom of the league last year for PP Opportunities. Only Edmonton and Anaheim had fewer.

Toronto had the 2nd best power play in the league, with their best player playing less than half of that time.

What you're saying is that adding more ice time for Matthews on the powerplay will somehow make the overall powerplay better AND cause opponents to take even less penalties?
:huh:

Where did I say that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad