How many Harts & Art Ross’s for McDavid?

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
2 Hart 2 Art Ross. The competition will be very tought with Matthews up there along with the other up&comers. But for the most part tt will be the battle of the Center Titans, of which I believe Matthews to have the edge

Matthews will have to learn how to crack the top 20-80 in scoring at some point if hes going to be any sort of threat to anyone. He's not even a top 20 player today but carry on bringing up a player that has no reason to be in this thread.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
That wasn't a joke, that was serious.

4 Art Ross trophies is a fair guess, based on including injuries, hot seasons for certain players and new upcoming talent. So you have probably 4 potential Hart seasons. He's not going to win the Hart this year, and if he misses the playoffs, it's another season out the window.
He will have more Harts and Art rosses than Crosby by age 24 let that sink in

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
Matthews has at least the same potential, but he just had rought time with injuries so far. I belive in the next season he should hit a new top level which could surpass even McDavid. But only time will tell.
Based on what? Are you seeing something no-one else? Look, Matthews is a fantastic player why can't you just enjoy that? There's no indication whatsoever we should consider him on that level. Let alone saying he would surpass what we already know McDavid is.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
It's hard to say. This time in 2007 people were saying Crosby could hit 160+ points and win the next 10 art rosses. As long as he maintains his speed advantage he should be the favorite. That said this league is constantly changing and evolving. Imo it won't be as many as people think. If i had to guess right now I'd say it'll be 4-5 art rosses. Between injuries, competition, decline, league dynamic changing, lots of things could affect it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
#99 finished with 10. The three best players from the generation before McDavid's have a total of 5 (but probably left 2-3 on the table due to injuries). I'm going to say in the 5-8 range. Lower end if he runs into injury trouble, upper end if he stays relatively healthy through his 20's. Kucherov is only 24; Matthews and Eichel could put themselves in the discussion at somepoint as well; Malkin and Crosby might have more throwback seasons in them too.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I don't think any other player can seriously challenge him for Art Rosses if he stays healthy and isn't held down by a coach like Tortorella, Hitchcock, Julien or Yeo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The bolded is why I added the part about it taking a career year out of a "lesser" player for McDavid not to win it. McDavid might lose this year to Kucherov, but over the next ten years I'd take McDavid winning over Kucherov 9 times out of 10.

Yeah, McDavid might beat Kucherov 9 out of 10 times, but he may lose 3 times in a row to guys that he'd beat 9 times out of 10. Those guys who beat him are just guys that are having 1 out of 10 seasons.

Benn's season also involved Crosby missing 5 games due to injury. He only finished 3 points back of Benn, in 5 less games. If McDavid can play 82 games every year, he won't ever have to worry about missing out like that Benn year due to playing less games.

But that may happen with McDavid, too, where he barely loses the Art Ross after missing 5-10 games. All of these are scenarios that should be considered. I think a fair guess for McDavid is 4 Art Rosses, which accounts for injuries and random hot seasons by guys like Kane and Sedin. Unless he misses a huge chunk of games in his prime like Crosby did, I think it's a fair guess for him. I think many more than 4 is optimistic, he'll have to stay healthier than most players and consistently beat the career seasons of other top end players in hockey.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
My guess is 5 Art Ross / 3 Hart.

I think that’s conservative. Crosby would have that number (or more) had he not battled so many injuries smack dead in his prime. One can hope for the game, McDavid doesn’t have the same fate.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
7 Art Ross (6 more)
2 Hart
2 Rockets

I'm an optimist - maybe 1 Stanley Cup

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Sky is the limit. But remember when Crosby started and he was a lock to win the Ross for the next 10 seasons? He only has 2.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
I dont think you understand what the Hart is, if anything winning it on Edmonton would be easier cause he is that much more important.
Not for the voters, they only vote for playoff players which makes zero sense because McDavid is not a goaltender.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I don't think any other player can seriously challenge him for Art Rosses if he stays healthy and isn't held down by a coach like Tortorella, Hitchcock, Julien or Yeo

I would agree with this. There is still elite talent in the league-.no doubt.
However, there are no young Crosby’s, Malkin’s or Ovechkins that will be there to challenge him. Maybe a player will be drafted yet who can but not on the horizon. Then again when Gretzky won the Hart and Art Ross is his second year by breaking the single season point record, none thought anyone could challenge the great one for the next decade. 3 years later, Mario Lemieux was drafted.
So, who knows!

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Connor is going to win all Arts that Malkin,Ovie and Sid won while battling against each other. So that makes it 5, with room to win 2-3 more (if we take into account the years Sid missed out).

Kudos to Kucherov,Mackinnon,Eichel,Stamkos,Laine,Matthews etc but this generation doesnt have same caliber of players like Connor,Geno,Sid and Ovie. Thats one major reason why I strongly believe that Connor is going to absolutely torch this league and could be quite close to Mario/Wayneish kind of domination in scoring titles.
Geno and Ovie are not generational

Reactions: VainGretzky

illpucks

May 26, 2011
A couple Harts and a couple Art Ross's. Zero Conne Smyth's and zero cups though imo.
Very low chance of that. If HF exists in 2030's, I wonder if there will be McDavid vs Marcel Dionne threads if that happens.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yes they are, I don't know how you can legitimately argue they're not. Well, I guess if you have absurdly high definitions for what a "generational" talent is, I guess you could say that.

If Malkin and Ovechkin don't qualify as generational, then basically the only players in NHL history who do are the Fab Four (Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe).

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Matthews has at least the same potential, but he just had rought time with injuries so far. I belive in the next season he should hit a new top level which could surpass even McDavid. But only time will tell.

See this year we were told by multiple Leafs fans that Matthews is superior to McDavid and that he’d win the Art Ross.

His pace isn’t close to McDavid. He’s not a generational player.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I think until 30 then it will come into question.

The state of the game, coaching tactics, injuries.

I actually think MORE offensive help would hurt his numbers (but help the Oilers), because it would take away his minutes, and possibly prime PP time.

A true #1 Dman capable of pinpoint outlet passing and one-timer (not a puck rushing ones like Karlsson/Subban), would help his numbers considerably.
This is why the Oilers should be praying that they land Bouchard this year. Possibly the best outlet pass in the draft, fantastic one timer.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It's hard to say. This time in 2007 people were saying Crosby could hit 160+ points and win the next 10 art rosses. As long as he maintains his speed advantage he should be the favorite. That said this league is constantly changing and evolving. Imo it won't be as many as people think. If i had to guess right now I'd say it'll be 4-5 art rosses. Between injuries, competition, decline, league dynamic changing, lots of things could affect it.

In 2005 no one thought anyone but Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin would win the Hart, Art Ross or Rocket for the next 15 years. - honestly. Those three have won a tonne of awards, had incredible historical careers and well-deserved accolades but not quite the yearly dominance people were expecting.
Would anyone be surprised if Marchand or Kucherov, etc. won the Art Ross the next few years or if Kopitar or Bergeron etc. won the Hart the next few years.

It's a tough league and there's a lot of great players. As amazing as McDavid is I don't think he's heads and tails above some of the other great players. At the moment he's in a run'n'gun offence with nothing to play for so it's a bit easier to put up points - no offence to him - but the Oil have been out of it for a long time and when you don't care you can try things that you otherwise wouldn't if every point was at a premium.

I think he'll top out at two, possibly three Hart trophies and 4-5 Art Ross's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad