How many Harts & Art Ross’s for McDavid?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If I had to guess based on the kind of competition he is likely to have. If healthy he should land one every single year his speed is still there. No one can keep up with him at this point and he isn't in his peak until around 22 likely. Really talented guys seem to peak a bit earlier then most. Gretz peaked at 21, Lemieux 23, Ovechkin 22.

Offensive peak is usually 20-26 iirc. So Mcdavid should have some monster seasons left in him if he doesn't get hurt like Sid did.

The Oilers suck too. If they can properly build around him we could see some special seasons.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Offensive peak is usually 20-26 iirc. So Mcdavid should have some monster seasons left in him if he doesn't get hurt like Sid did.

The Oilers suck too. If they can properly build around him we could see some special seasons.

Most high end players peak offensively by 22. Everyone else is around 26.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
A lot depends on injuries. Everyone was ready to hand Sid the next 10 art rosses after 06-7 and look how that turned out. In fairness, had he stayed healthy he probably gets at least 2 more. But so it goes.

What Mcdavid has going for him in his favor is there is no clear generational player he's gonna be battling with for scoring titles. Crosby had Ovechkin to contend with who was every bit as good as he was for most of his prime. I don't see a young guy out there right now likely to match or better Mcdavid season after season like OV did with Sid. Laine is sick but doesn't have the point potential OV had. Mackinnon is great but who knows if he can sustain this moving forward. Kucherov is 3 years older than Connor. Sid/Geno are moving out of their primes. etc.

He's got a very favorable set of conditions for winning scoring titles. So if he stays healthy and another phenom doesn't enter the league soon, he's in good shape.

:huh: Ovechkin only took 1 Art Ross from Crosby.

There are many good players who can challenge McDavid for the Art Ross... Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Marchand, Kucherov, MacKinnon, Matthews, Eichel, Barkov...

If McDavid wins multiple Art Ross trophies, it will be a testament to his domination and legacy as a generational player. So far he has won one AR, leading again this year... and all that with only one highly offensively talented teammate to play with (Draisaitl) and zero truly offensive Dmen to support his production.

If he wins his 2nd Art Ross in 3 years... you have to give him full marks... there are a lot of good players in today`s NHL. For any one person to win 2 in a row at the age of 21 would be incredible.

Last edited:
Reactions: deckercky

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
McDavid relies primarily upon his breathtaking speed to generate offense. How long he could continue to dominate the league will depend on how long he maintains that incredible ability.
He also has maybe the best hands. Unbelievable passing ability, elite finishing skills and the best defensive stick in the game. Generally fast players stay good the longest like Selanne. You can lose a step and still be a superstar when you have that much talent.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

There are many good players who can challenge McDavid for the Art Ross... Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Marchand, Kucherov, MacKinnon, Matthews, Eichel, Barkov...

If McDavid wins multiple Art Ross trophies, it will be a testament to his domination and legacy as a generational player. So far he has won one AR, leading again this year... and all that with only one highly offensively talented teammate to play with (Draisaitl) and zero truly offensive Dmen to support his production.

If he wins his 2nd Art Ross in 3 years... you have to give him full marks... there are a lot of good players in today`s NHL. For any one person to win 2 in a row at the age of 21 would be incredible.

It’s been like 17 years since someone has won two in a row I think.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
If McDavid stays healthy, his drive and skill will propel him to a bunch more in his career. The keyword is "healthy" though.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Somewhere along the lines of Jagr, maybe same for Hart's.
Now he will of course still be ranked way above Jagr, because reasons.

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
I am not going to put a number on it but he will be in the discussion every year for the next decade.

At his peak, I see McDavid scoring 50 goals and 130-140 points. He is that good. If the Oilers can find a serviceable RW to play/gel with McDavid and Nugent-Hopkins next year, maybe Puljujärvi or Yamamoto, they sky is the limit.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I am not going to put a number on it but he will be in the discussion every year for the next decade.

At his peak, I see McDavid scoring 50 goals and 130-140 points. He is that good. If the Oilers can find a serviceable RW to play/gel with McDavid and Nugent-Hopkins next year, maybe Puljujärvi or Yamamoto, they sky is the limit.

I highly doubt that he hits 130-140 points. That's insane. Not happening unless they start calling a lot more penalties. He's really good but he's not *that* good.

120 seems like a more reasonable target.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

True enough but for his first 5-6 years OV was about as much a threat to win one as Sid.

So far there just doesn't seem to be that many guys capable of putting up the 100 points that Mcdavid figures to average moving forward. Malkin is doing it this year but is getting older. Kucherov might be a good bet to do it. Mackinnon is hard to get a read on since he's never had a season like this. Can he keep it up? Dunno. Giroux will be around there but is older. Mcdavid doesn't have any obvious peers in terms of talent level whereas Crosby had Malkin/Ovechkin and for a brief period the Sedins as well.

Maybe Kucherov/Mackinnon can develop into consistent 100 point threats and probably other guys will emerge (Barzal? etc) but for now at least Mcdavid is clearly a step above the competition. That bodes well for his chances to put this trophy on lockdown if he can stay durable.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I highly doubt that he hits 130-140 points. That's insane. Not happening unless they start calling a lot more penalties. He's really good but he's not *that* good.

120 seems like a more reasonable target.

I’m not so sure. When Lemieux returned from his 3 year hiatus he scored 1.77 points per game (145 point pace) although for a shortened season. The offense that year was about equal to 2018. That was an old Lemieux who couldn’t tie his own skates.

McDavid is entering his prime years and is likely even more capable than Lemieux was when he returned to the NHL. McDavid could very likely pull it off.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I’m not so sure. When Lemieux returned from his 3 year hiatus he scored 1.77 points per game (145 point pace) although for a shortened season. The offense that year was about equal to 2018. That was an old Lemieux who couldn’t tie his own skates.

McDavid is entering his prime years and is likely even more capable than Lemieux was when he returned to the NHL. McDavid could very likely pull it off.

All due respect to Mcdavid, but Lemieux is Lemieux. Old Lemieux who couldn't tie his skates still > Mcdavid. That's not a slight on Mcdavid either. Lemieux was other worldly. Far better than Crosby. Far better than Ovechkin.

I'd be shocked if Mcdavid puts up a 1.77 PPG in a season. That would be other worldly.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
McDavid is going to own the Art Ross for a while, barring injuries. If you're a fan of hockey just sit back and enjoy it. Special players like him only come along once in a while.
finally someone with an ounce of decency to admit the obvious. So much salt in these threads otherwise.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I also like that McDavids started shooting more. I think he probably could have won the Rocket if he'd done that from the beginning of the year. Who knows he may still catch Ovie and Laine if he keeps scoring at his recent rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad