Marlies Discussion: How many current Marlies will make the Leafs roster in 2018-2019

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Summer trades and/or UFA signings will change the calculations but for the moment this is how I see it. These are more or less in order of probability.

Dermott and Kapanen have basically already made the team. (My spelling corrector tried to change Dermott to Dermatologist!) Johnsson is very close to a lock.

Grundstrom is a gritty guy with an NHL calibre shot. He has a very good chance.

Rosen is rising fast, IMO, but the depth chart is tough for LHD. A couple of great goals last night!

Borgmann has a better frame and speaking about great goals, he may have had the goal of the year in the AHL. But his injury has cost valuable development time.

Somebody will have to play centre for the Leafs. A UFA? Lindholm? Aaltonen? Who knows. This is why they have training camp.

Holl is a NHL level combination of size and skating and has a clearer path to the NHL as a RHD. But I agree that he has had a lot of mental errors in the playoffs.

Moore plays a game Babcock will love. I could see him as a cheap fourth liner.

Goalies are voodoo but both Sparks and Pickard could have a shot

Edit: and I’m one of the few on the board who thinks Freddie the Goat might still have a chance at the 4th line centre slot

With Dermott's success and Rosen ascending, Gardiner seems less and less a need and should probably be traded.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Smith is gone. The rest they can qualify at the drop of a hat. The team will still have plenty of contract slots.
You're probably right with Smith. I think he's been a pretty good captain for these young guys and I wonder who they'll give the C to next. Maybe Greening? But he needs a new contract too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Or they make a deal, like Minnesota, The Islanders, Anaheim etc. did. Why do you people think so one-dimensionally?

Yeah the expansions draft is the least of my worries.

They either lose a depth player who they give up a pick to lose the player they want

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
[QUOTE="nuck, post: 146738691, member: 29001"
If it is pushed to 2021 then they add Grundy and Engval to the list. I don't think Grundstrom can make the big club next year except to get yanked around like Kapy, and I don't think there is a big developmental different for a year in the SHL vs the AHL. If I was sure the draft was 2020 I agree he needs to stay here because he is exempt and he is already half transitioned to the NHL game.

Hyman was started as rookie with Matthews and Nylander. My thoughts that Grundstrom could start at LW with Matthews and Marner. Nylander goes to centre. One reason that Kapanen was "yanked around" is that there so few injuries to wingers and a spot wasn't available.
With JVR, Komarov and if Nylander moves to centre, that's three winger spots available to be filled. I don't know if have seen Grundstrom with the Marlies, he seems NHL good. This thought of holding. back players and hurting your team just because of unknown NHL expansion draft seems.....well crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad