Marlies Discussion: How many current Marlies will make the Leafs roster in 2018-2019

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Wich team could Toronto trade Timashov to so he got a chance to play in NHL?

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Wich team could Toronto trade Timashov to so he got a chance to play in NHL?
No point getting a chance in the NHL when you aren't good enough to play there. Tima needs playing time to improve, he will get that with the Marlies.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
No point getting a chance in the NHL when you aren't good enough to play there. Tima needs playing time to improve, he will get that with the Marlies.

I belive some players are better in NHL then in AHL. If thats true for Timashov i dont know. I think its true for A Nylander. And specially them togther. So Buffalo then... :) Tima for Rasmus Asplund

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I think people give borgman the edge because of his strength and grit. Combined with decent speed and ok-ish talent. Especially with Polak maybe not returning.

Johnsson and Dermott basically make the team, maybe even sparks, besides those 4, i think Grundstrum, Aaltonen, rosen and Lilly get looks. Maybe 1 of them squeek in

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Slam dunks: Johnsson, Dermott
Good chance: Grundstrom
Good chance (if Leafs trade): Sparks
Outside shot: Altonen, Holl
Long shot but if impresses: Liljegren

Basically how I see it
I pretty much agree.

I'd amend as such:

Good chance: Sparks/Pickard

Good chance: Holl (not waiver expempt and big supporter in Duby)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't know why folks think Grundstrom has to stay a Marlie. He's had two full years in the SHL.
There are spots at LW with JVR and Komarov gone....so Grundstrom and Johnson almost locks. Gee Grundstrom would good at LW with Matthews, remember Hyman came in as a rookie. I say that as Hyman could go to RW is Nylander plays centre
Aaltonen should be a centre with the Leafs. Dermot of course. Maybe Dermot even goes to the right side opening up a spot for Borgman. Sparks given a spot to show if he NHL good.
Might be a real year of development for the Leafs.
Timashov and Liljegren in 2019/20. And Brooks has played AHL good late in this season.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Timashov in my books has been the best Marlie in playoffs. I have seen every playoff game live except last game in Texas which i watched on a tsn stream at home. He is a solid 2 way player. Not afraid to take a hit to make a play. Amazing hands and great lateral skater. I like Brooks too but think he may need 1 more year. Holl and Johansson are ready now. Dermott of course. Lilegren is just not ready too soft on puck and man but he is so young it is not surprising at all. Borgman just does not look good in playoffs lots of mistakes. Rosen looks better but again Leafs have too many of his type of player. My guess is Leafs will sign 2 or 3 guys or make a couple trades. Gauthier is not fast enough. Grundstrom is ok but not sure he is nhl ready. Altonen is a player that can blend into a game and not be noticed but then he has some games where he looks like best guy on the ice hands down. My guess is he makes it only if Nylander stays on the wing.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Timashov in my books has been the best Marlie in playoffs. I have seen every playoff game live except last game in Texas which i watched on a tsn stream at home. He is a solid 2 way player. Not afraid to take a hit to make a play. Amazing hands and great lateral skater. I like Brooks too but think he may need 1 more year. Holl and Johansson are ready now. Dermott of course. Lilegren is just not ready too soft on puck and man but he is so young it is not surprising at all. Borgman just does not look good in playoffs lots of mistakes. Rosen looks better but again Leafs have too many of his type of player. My guess is Leafs will sign 2 or 3 guys or make a couple trades. Gauthier is not fast enough. Grundstrom is ok but not sure he is nhl ready. Altonen is a player that can blend into a game and not be noticed but then he has some games where he looks like best guy on the ice hands down. My guess is he makes it only if Nylander stays on the wing.
I have a hard time imagining someone watching the playoffs in it's entirety saying Holl looks ready. He's been arguably the worst defenseman this playoffs for the Marlies. Missed assignments and bad puck handling and movement.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
People are really sleeping on Trevor Moore

Yeah Hyman 2.0 but I mean that in a good way. Many of us hate Hyman beside Matthews because we feel he stifles AMs offense but he has a pro work ethic every night and a will to win and the Golden Knights have shown that bringing some desperation overcomes pure skill on a regular basis. Not saying Moore is on the big club next year but there are players that peak at 19 and there are other guys who aren't content to give up on it in their early 20s. You want your bottom 3 forwards to have that heart and desire and it rubs off on the other guys.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Don't know why folks think Grundstrom has to stay a Marlie. He's had two full years in the SHL.
There are spots at LW with JVR and Komarov gone....so Grundstrom and Johnson almost locks. Gee Grundstrom would good at LW with Matthews, remember Hyman came in as a rookie. I say that as Hyman could go to RW is Nylander plays centre
Aaltonen should be a centre with the Leafs. Dermot of course. Maybe Dermot even goes to the right side opening up a spot for Borgman. Sparks given a spot to show if he NHL good.
Might be a real year of development for the Leafs.
Timashov and Liljegren in 2019/20. And Brooks has played AHL good late in this season.

One more year in the SHL and Grundy avoids exposure in the next x draft. His 20 year old season in the SHL is similar to Johnsson's. Johnsson needed another SHL season and two in the AHL to get to where he is today. Why would they want to push Grundstrom just to add him to a protected list? He definitely hasn't outgrown the SHL yet.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I could see Johnsson and Matthews forming a really great pair. He's has a great work ethic, high-skill and would allow Nylander to move to center. While that may push Hyman down, I'd have him play with Nylander and be that hard worker on that line.

The top line could be completed with Brown as the righty and Kapanen would be the third linemate on Nylander's line.

For that we have to launch Babcock from here to Saskatoon first.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
One more year in the SHL and Grundy avoids exposure in the next x draft. His 20 year old season in the SHL is similar to Johnsson's. Johnsson needed another SHL season and two in the AHL to get to where he is today. Why would they want to push Grundstrom just to add him to a protected list? He definitely hasn't outgrown the SHL yet.

Gee watching him, he might have outgrown the AHL. Teams have draft players and develop them not to keep them in the minors but the sole purpose is make their NHL team better. I not pushing him, but if he good enough we wouldn't he be on the NHL roster?
God, are folks worried about who gets drafted in the next expansion draft. I must have missed it, when is this expansion happening?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
People are really sleeping on Trevor Moore

He's been fun to watch, but I don't see his game translating very well. He relies too much on out-skilling defenders, and forces plays a lot, I think he'll get shut down real quick at the NHL level. His zone entrance ability is amazing though. I think he just needs another year in the AHL to learn how to pick his spots better offensively.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Summer trades and/or UFA signings will change the calculations but for the moment this is how I see it. These are more or less in order of probability.

Dermott and Kapanen have basically already made the team. (My spelling corrector tried to change Dermott to Dermatologist!) Johnsson is very close to a lock.

Grundstrom is a gritty guy with an NHL calibre shot. He has a very good chance.

Rosen is rising fast, IMO, but the depth chart is tough for LHD. A couple of great goals last night!

Borgmann has a better frame and speaking about great goals, he may have had the goal of the year in the AHL. But his injury has cost valuable development time.

Somebody will have to play centre for the Leafs. A UFA? Lindholm? Aaltonen? Who knows. This is why they have training camp.

Holl is a NHL level combination of size and skating and has a clearer path to the NHL as a RHD. But I agree that he has had a lot of mental errors in the playoffs.

Moore plays a game Babcock will love. I could see him as a cheap fourth liner.

Goalies are voodoo but both Sparks and Pickard could have a shot

Edit: and I’m one of the few on the board who thinks Freddie the Goat might still have a chance at the 4th line centre slot

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Do they still count as Marlies?: Dermott and Kapanen.
Locks: Johnsson and a (back up) goalie.
Likely: Grundstrom.
Good chance: Rosen and Holl.
Future: Engvall, Liljegren, Marchment, Bracco and maybe Brooks or Moore.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
T.Moore is a bit older at 23 and needs a new contract after this last year of his ELC. Maybe he makes the team over Leivo on the 4th line or something? I could see that happening. Marchmant is in a similar boat being 23 but has 2 years left still and this has been his first "full" year in the AHL so maybe he gets another year in the AHL before he gets a shot.
The younger guys with a couple years left on their ELC I could see getting overcooked in the AHL. Guys like Grundstrom, Engvall, Timoshov, Bracco and Brooks. They can carry the offense on the Marlies next year.

Aaltonen, Holl, Smith, Gauthier and Marincin all need new contracts. Interested to see who they keep around out of those guys.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Gee watching him, he might have outgrown the AHL. Teams have draft players and develop them not to keep them in the minors but the sole purpose is make their NHL team better. I not pushing him, but if he good enough we wouldn't he be on the NHL roster?
God, are folks worried about who gets drafted in the next expansion draft. I must have missed it, when is this expansion happening?

The draft sounds like 2020 or 2021. Bettman's last word was "a lot of things have still got to be worked out" which I assume is the arena refit. The same rules as Vegas so likely 7 forwards, 3 D and a goalie.
Matthews, Kapanen, Nylander, Dermott, Hyman, Marner, Johnsson and Zaitsev were all exempt but aren't now. If they add Kadri and Reilly that's it, so Gards/his RD replacement, Tavares:) :) Brown, new 4th line center, Leivo, Rosen , Borgman Carrick, Tyma, Bracco, Aaltonen, Moore, Marchment and any other vets they add in the next two years are up for grabs. Not sure if this includes Liljegren but I think so as he would be 3 years under NHL contract by then.

Re: Vegas
"Prospects: All players with less than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt. That means young stars like Edmonton's Connor McDavid and Toronto's Auston Matthews don't need to be protected to remain with their teams. This provision also includes unsigned draft picks and signed players that have yet to appear in a NHL game. A year of professional experience is 10 pro games played under an NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs."

If it is pushed to 2021 then they add Grundy and Engval to the list. I don't think Grundstrom can make the big club next year except to get yanked around like Kapy, and I don't think there is a big developmental different for a year in the SHL vs the AHL. If I was sure the draft was 2020 I agree he needs to stay here because he is exempt and he is already half transitioned to the NHL game.

They won't get away with Brendan Leipsic this time around. They will likely lose their #4 D whoever that is, or Kapy/Hyman if they did sign a big FA forward.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
They won't get away with Brendan Leipsic this time around. They will likely lose their #4 D whoever that is, or Kapy/Hyman if they did sign a big FA forward.

Or they make a deal, like Minnesota, The Islanders, Anaheim etc. did. Why do you people think so one-dimensionally?

Reactions: Menzinger

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
T.Moore is a bit older at 23 and needs a new contract after this last year of his ELC. Maybe he makes the team over Leivo on the 4th line or something? I could see that happening. Marchmant is in a similar boat being 23 but has 2 years left still and this has been his first "full" year in the AHL so maybe he gets another year in the AHL before he gets a shot.
The younger guys with a couple years left on their ELC I could see getting overcooked in the AHL. Guys like Grundstrom, Engvall, Timoshov, Bracco and Brooks. They can carry the offense on the Marlies next year.

Aaltonen, Holl, Smith, Gauthier and Marincin all need new contracts. Interested to see who they keep around out of those guys.

Smith is gone. The rest they can qualify at the drop of a hat. The team will still have plenty of contract slots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->