Marlies Discussion: How many current Marlies will make the Leafs roster in 2018-2019

member 300185

Hey all! I've just been a casual fan watching some solid AHL playoff hockey. The Toronto Marlies have really been something else this spring and I wonder how many are ready to make the big club this September. I'd love to hear your opinion, as I have just been blown away by the Leaf's prospect depth. Here's out look at the possible break-out stars on this stacked Marlies roster: Maple Leafs Rising: The Future of the Maple Leafs - Scrimmage and Stats

Cheers!
Mark my words. Steve, Kevin and Phil all make the team for sure. Anton is close.

I wonder who has gone to check to see if there is a Steve, Kevin, Phil and Anton on the team.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Yea Dermott was better, that's why he played on the Leafs... Rosen except for the first month or so has been the best. Marincin/Holl were more consistent but not as good as Rosen overall.

I think Marincin/Rosen have a better shot at making it than Borgman for next season. I'd rather keep Borgman in the AHL for one more year to let him carry the AHL D with Lilijegren just like Dermott did.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

borjesalming

Aug 6, 2007
That's pretty much my list as well - Johnsson and (in particular) Dermott have already basically guaranteed spots on next year's roster, with Grundstrom and Aaltonen being guys that, I would imagine, will prove very difficult to send down once training camp opens up in the fall, and I expect them to make up 2/3 of our 4th line next year. I'm also in the camp that would like to see Sparks given a shot as backup next year, with McElhinney moved at the Draft.

I think a lot of it will depend on what kinds of moves our management staff decides to make during Free Agency - We're losing a few mainstays from our past few seasons' roster this summer, and it will be really interesting to see if Dubas and Co. decide to replace them with some of the other UFAs or if they, feeling confident in the development system they've put in place over the last 3-4 years, decide to simply promote from within and see what their kids are made of.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dubas moved on from Gardiner this off-season, believing Dermott to be ready for a larger role, and also could see Liljegren being a much harder decision for them than some might expect (though, were I a betting man, would probably count on him starting the year with the Marlies).

There's a lot of room for turnover this year, and it should be really exciting to see how we look moving forward.

*One little editing note regarding the article, though - Matthews missed 20 games this season, rather than 10.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
In order of probability:

Dermott
Johnsson
Borgman
Aaltonen
Grundstrom

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
In order of probability:

Dermott
Johnsson
Borgman
Aaltonen
Grundstrom
Agree, and I would do the probability:

Dermott 100%
Johnsson 99%
Borgman 50%
Aaltonen 50%
Grundstrom 33%

These are out of camp, I believe all will be playing next year with the big club.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Dermot, Johnson, Grunstrom, Aaltonen, Sparks and I think Borgman should October Leafs .

It is possible that the Leafs don't get as many points as last year with JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Moore, Plekanec, Mcillerney, Polak and maybe Carrick not with the Leafs next season. Another year of development but long term maybe even 2019/20, Leafs can be even better.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Dermot, Johnson, Grunstrom, Aaltonen, Sparks and I think Borgman should October Leafs .

It is possible that the Leafs don't get as many points as last year with JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Moore, Plekanec, Mcillerney, Polak and maybe Carrick not with the Leafs next season. Another year of development but long term maybe even 2019/20, Leafs can be even better.

Only a couple of those players contributed offensively to the team. Only a couple of them contributed defensively to the team. The players coming in have both contributed offensively and defensively to the Leafs and the Marlies success. While it is possible the leafs don't get as many points (although this has as much to do with other teams as it does with the leafs. They stink less, its harder to earn points) adding players who contribute both offensively and defensively makes our team more balanced and therefore more likely to do even better than last year in the regular season and in the playoffs. I certainly prefer a team with no passengers on it.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I don't see Borgman making this team next year. He has missed a lot of time since going down to the Marlies and may need a year to truly settle and learn to PK. Dermott and Rosen should both see NHL time, with Dermott being a regular. Marincin and Holl have been great down there, but are already in their primes. To think they can provide anything more than spot duty is wishful thinking imo.

Summary:

Lock: Dermott
Tweener: Rosen
Spot Duty: Marincin, Holl
Developing: Borgman, Liljegren, Nielsen

To me, Johnsson and Aaltonen are locks for this team and both will play on the wing. I see Grumdstrom and Moore being top callups, with Grundstrom having the possibility to stick. Timashov and Engvall are guys I'd be comfortable using if we got hit hard with injuries.

Summary:

Lock: Johnsson, Aaltonen
Tweener: Grundstrom, Moore
Spot Duty: Timashov, Engvall
Developing: Bracco, Brooks, Marchment, Gauthier

Sparks should be our backup.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Agree, and I would do the probability:

Dermott 100%
Johnsson 99%
Borgman 50%
Aaltonen 50%
Grundstrom 33%

These are out of camp, I believe all will be playing next year with the big club.

I mostly agree with your assessment but: of this group, Grundstrom is the only one they can protect from the next expansion draft by returning him to Sweden for one more year, so i really think he goes back home. Dermott and Johnsson are pretty much guaranteed to make the club, and Borgman and Aaltonen have good chances, but as others have said, Rosen's star has been rising in the AHL and Borg has stalled out, looking worse in the minors than in the show, so as both are LD I think one gets promoted and the other gets another year in the AHL. If Gards is moved I don't see it making a spot for another AHL player as he has to be replaced with another top 4 RD which means one of the ten or so RD targets bandied about in the trade thread.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Most are forgetting Par Lindholm is going to get a fair shake at the leafs team too.

Dermott and Johnson are 100%
Aaltonen has come so far this year and I think is 75% chance (likely starts as a winger)
I like the idea of sending Grudstrom to Sweden to potentially have him ineligible for the expansion draft.
Borgman or Rosen probably makes it as a 6/7 D.
Moore and Engvall are call ups for injuries.
Sparks I would 100% love to see as a backup.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Marlie Depth Chart Order
LW C RW
Johnsson Aaltonen Bracco
Grundstrom Lindholm Dzierkals
Moore Gauthier
Marchment Brooks
Engval
Timashov

That being said...Some of these LWers are playing the right side for obvious reasons. Dont see any of those RWers making the team next year. That order isnt going by order of ceiling and potential but just where they sit for now in terms of making the leafs.

Leafs do need some size and strength up front. To me this gives the edge to a guy like Marchment who is heavy and wins battles downlow. Marchment could be a great fit on the 4th line. Grundstrom and Johnsson should be on scoring lines if they do get a spot on the team. They should play with talented players like Marner, Matthews, Nylander or Kapanen.

Last edited:

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Why do people think Borgman will make the team... kinda ridiculous to even suggest it considering Rosen has been far superior and Borgman has been struggling

Reactions: ToMaLe

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Why do people think Borgman will make the team... kinda ridiculous to even suggest it considering Rosen has been far superior and Borgman has been struggling
Borgman is younger and i think they see him having higher potential. He is a big physical player which is something we lack, we dont need puckmovers. We need guys who can play PK and be hard on opponents.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Rosen has been playing under Keefe all year, Borgman is injured, and its hard to tell when he got injured and what finally put him out of the game and how long it affected him before he was put on IR. We'll know better in September what shakes out.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I could see Johnsson and Matthews forming a really great pair. He's has a great work ethic, high-skill and would allow Nylander to move to center. While that may push Hyman down, I'd have him play with Nylander and be that hard worker on that line.

The top line could be completed with Brown as the righty and Kapanen would be the third linemate on Nylander's line.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
We need goals with JVR on his way out. Grundstrom is a goal scorer. I don't see how you keep him out of the lineup. I predict he has an excellent camp and makes the team comfortably.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Yea Dermott was better, that's why he played on the Leafs... Rosen except for the first month or so has been the best. Marincin/Holl were more consistent but not as good as Rosen overall.

I would agree with this, though I’ll add that in his brief stint, Borgman impressed me the most. Was the total two-way package down in the AHL, too bad about his injuries.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Dermott and Johnsson are pretty much guaranteed to make the club, and Borgman and Aaltonen have good chances, but as others have said, Rosen's star has been rising in the AHL and Borg has stalled out, looking worse in the minors than in the show, so as both are LD I think one gets promoted and the other gets another year in the AHL.

I’d say Borgman looked terrific for a short span in the AHL, but the injuries did him in. The fact that he beat Rosen for an NHL spot, and has already looked good in the NHL at his young age, speaks volumes.

Reactions: Boutette

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Dermott and Johnsson are there for sure and get good minutes I think. Aaltonen and Lindholm I would say both have inside tracks on the 4C job, free agency could change that.

Grundstrom could make it with a strong camp, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him next year.

Sparks should make it as a backup... But part of me feels he gets put in a package for someone.

I doubt Marincin ever suits up for us again, but I think Borgman and Rosen make appearances.

Liljegren is 6 months away from being a year away (or more), Bracco I see as a redundancy unless he evolves his game.

So who 100% makes it? Dermott, Johnsson and one of Aaltonen or Lindholm.

We're extremely lucky that other than a fairly large hole on the right side, the Marlies are just mostly taking depth roles.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I'm guessing not a lot of people watch or follow the Marlies because Rosen has been the best Dman this season and will probably be on the Leafs if he continues his good play into camp and pre season.
I have watched a few Marlies games this year and have been saying the exact same thing, something really wrong if Calle Rosen is not on the Leafs next season. He was the best dman on the Marlies all season and the same thing was also said by Keefe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->