Marlies Discussion: How many current Marlies will make the Leafs roster in 2018-2019

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'm guessing not a lot of people watch or follow the Marlies because Rosen has been the best Dman this season and will probably be on the Leafs if he continues his good play into camp and pre season.

I'm sure the org is looking ahead at a potential Gardiner replacement, so it would be a good idea to give Rosen some reps given his skillset. He's not likely our Gardiner replacement (that would be Dermott), but he might be able to slide into Dermott's place in the lineup when Dermott gets promoted into Gardiner's.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Slam dunks: Johnsson, Dermott
Good chance: Grundstrom
Good chance (if Leafs trade): Sparks
Outside shot: Altonen, Holl
Long shot but if impresses: Liljegren

Basically how I see it
I think Liljegren will be brought up for a few games at the end of the year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Dermott, Johnsson, Gauthier (if you count depth forwards as making the Leafs; also if he's not traded) and maybe Sparks/Aaltonen if they beat out their competition.

That's it.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
For Sure: Johnsson, Dermott
Maybe: Borgman, Grundstrom, Aaltonen, Sparks, Pickard, Rosen, Holl, Gauthier
Long Shot: Moore, Timashov, Engvall, Greening, Liljegren

I would guess 5 or 6. The 2 locks, and I think 0 or 1 goalies(depending on what we do with that situation), 1 or 2 forwards(depending on free agency), and 1 or 2 D(depending on if we roll with 7 or 8 D).

Dermott, Johnsson, Borgman, Aaltonen, Holl, Sparks

Gonna guess they run with 8 D(Borgman, and Holl as extras rotating in to start, D acquired to play with Rielly, Hainsey, Gards, Dermott, Zaitsev as the normal 6), and Grundstrom goes the Dermott route next year where he's possibly ready to start the year but comes up halfway through.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
i really think that engvall will make it. he's like a cheaper version of jvr money wise

Engvall is a lot more versitile than JVR. He's probably in line to be the Marleau replacement. Actually, if the teams wants an immediate and supercheap JVR replacement, they should sign Brandon Pirri. Given the same kind of extremely sheltered setting, he'd likely be able to produce similar numbers, and be about as effective defensively (plus, he can play center!).

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think both Rosen and Borgman are in the final year of the current contract with the Leafs. If you dont give them a solid chance to earn the spot they will leave. Same for Aalt

It very much depends on what the Leafs do with their next contracts. Aaltonen needs to be resigned now. If the Leafs offer him a one-way contract, which they should considering his performance over the last half of the season, the playoffs and his chemistry with whatever Swede they put on his wings, that's likely to be as much as he'd get paid to play in Europe or the KHL, with the opportunity to get NHL bucks. Same with Rosen and Borgman next year. But yes, if the leafs go cheap, they'll look at other options. Anyone would. And anyone in the minors who's in a similar boat would as well.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Dermott has the same chance of being on this team as someone like nylander or marner(he is guaranteed a spot).

Johnsson will make it barring Babcock making a mistake and playing any vets we get in f/a over him(99% sure Babcock is too smart to do this and is done with gifting/handing spots to underwhelming guys like komo, moore, martin, now that he has more freedom and choice to play the youth)

Dubas if he is smart wont yo after a 4th line center and overpay for some grinder who has limited value. B/c ot this he will give Babcock option like aaltonen to be the 4th line center and Babcock will see his hustle+skill and have him center the 4th line

I have marchment aa a dark horse to make the team as the 4th line winger next season he reminds me kind of hyman in his work ethic and drive. It's a longshot but I think Babcock will love this player and the leafs will benefit from him.

Also think Justin holl gets a look in the season. Not out of training camp but later when/if inkurotes occur.

Besides these 4 I would love to see grundstrom make the team but I think we give him a year in the ahl until marlena is ready moved in the offseason.

Bracco, Grundstrom, Brooks, Tymo, Engvall, will get big roles next season in the ahl and hopefully have great seasons.

Leafs roster I'm going with(not considering any f/a ot trades

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-nylander-kapanen
Marchment -aaltonen-leivo

Rielly-Gardiner/Gardiner trade
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-ufa(hopefully ian cole)

Ian Cole's going to get around $4.5 million as a UFA. No chance Toronto pays that to a borderline 2nd pairing defenceman.

AM34WN29MM16

Nov 4, 2017
Just a question, why aren't people mentioning, Borgman or Rosen? How have they played in the Ahl, I would have thought they'd be ready for a consistent Nhl position by now.

I like both. It's just that on the left side there's Rielly, Gardiner and Dermott ahead of them. Both have played RD in their careers but that seems unlikely given that Hainsey is already playing his offside.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Just a question, why aren't people mentioning, Borgman or Rosen? How have they played in the Ahl, I would have thought they'd be ready for a consistent Nhl position by now.

Too many GUD PROS in their way. With Polak on the squad, there was no chance of Borgman to develop his PK game, so when Dermot ascended, he was sent down. Keefe has called Rosen his most reliable defenceman, but again, Carrick and Hainsey have seniority, with Carrick having a similar style to Rosen, so the main block in front of him. Carrick is a RFA and arbitration eligible, so we'll see what happens there. Hopefully both will get a good look in September and have a chance to show how well they've developed.

Reactions: ToMaLe

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I like both. It's just that on the left side there's Rielly, Gardiner and Dermott ahead of them. Both have played RD in their careers but that seems unlikely given that Hainsey is already playing his offside.

I do not remember Borgman playing RD? I know Rosen has (including on the Marlies for long stretches), but Borgman has only played LD since coming to Toronto.

His best shot is to win the 3LD job from Dermott, or that it opens up after Gardiner leaves. He's got a lot of work to do first though.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Kapanen, Dermott, and Johnsson

Grundstrom depending on off season moves, have been impressed with him since last training camp & pre season, has absolutely torn it up in the playoffs this season aswell

Possibly Borgman, I really liked the physical element he brought to our back end last year, and the guy can skate

Lily and Holl May get some looks

Reactions: saffronleaf

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

As mentioned, there's a logjam at LD. Better to have them playing with the Marlies than sitting with the Leafs. Imagine they're near the top of the list when a recall is needed. Don't see why either wouldn't still be very much in the not too distant future plans.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
You're right, they should get an extended look in camp as well. If Gardiner gets moved in the offseason then I think their chances improve considerably (for reasons already stated), barring a signing like de Haan.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I'm guessing not a lot of people watch or follow the Marlies because Rosen has been the best Dman this season and will probably be on the Leafs if he continues his good play into camp and pre season.

I'm guessing you don't watch the Marlies because this isn't true. He struggled big time at the start of the season. Start to finish it has been Marincin/Holl so far.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm guessing you don't watch the Marlies because this isn't true. He struggled big time at the start of the season. Start to finish it has been Marincin/Holl so far.
Nah. He had a slow start but since then he's been the best. Ever since Dermott went up, Rosens workload and responsibilities have increased and he's succeeded. Sheldon Keefe shared the same thoughts when he got called up in March.

Reactions: ToMaLe

HC7

May 2, 2018
Nah. He had a slow start but since then he's been the best. Ever since Dermott went up, Rosens workload and responsibilities have increased and he's succeeded. Sheldon Keefe shared the same thoughts when he got called up in March.

So that means Dermott has been better to when in the AHL, which isn't really a surprise, but still another player that has been better than Rosen.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Hey all! I've just been a casual fan watching some solid AHL playoff hockey. The Toronto Marlies have really been something else this spring and I wonder how many are ready to make the big club this September. I'd love to hear your opinion, as I have just been blown away by the Leaf's prospect depth. Here's out look at the possible break-out stars on this stacked Marlies roster: Maple Leafs Rising: The Future of the Maple Leafs - Scrimmage and Stats

Cheers!
I'm confused by your post and link.

Are you a "casual fan", or a "hockey expert" with a blog just laying some clickbait?

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
So that means Dermott has been better to when in the AHL, which isn't really a surprise, but still another player that has been better than Rosen.
Yea Dermott was better, that's why he played on the Leafs... Rosen except for the first month or so has been the best. Marincin/Holl were more consistent but not as good as Rosen overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad