How many Cups were Sid and Geno expected to win following the 07-08 Season

What were reasonable expectations for Cups following the 07-08 Season?

• 1 Cup

• 2 Cups

• 3 cups

• 4 Cups

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So the next 12 seasons in a 30 team comp (now 31) with a cap and draft.

You’d be shattered with zero, one is great but probably disappointed at the end of it all with 1, 2 in 12 years is pretty fantastic, one every four years seems like everything has to go right and 4 is just nuts.

We could still get 4 but will be difficult.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
So the next 12 seasons in a 30 team comp (now 31) with a cap and draft.

You’d be shattered with zero, one is great but probably disappointed at the end of it all with 1, 2 in 12 years is pretty fantastic, one every four years seems like everything has to go right and 4 is just nuts.

We could still get 4 but will be difficult.

Agreed. I think that expecting more than Mario and Jagr/Francis achieved and in a Cap Era no less, is quite bold. For any team

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
3 is appropriate given the talent.

2010 through 2015 was disappointment.

The back to backs were a complete shocker.

I think if we want a 4th, we need a game breaking youngster. If we snagged the 1OV and got Lafrenaire, I could have maybe seen it. 4 now will just be a blessing beyond measure.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Was stoked about 2 and said their legacies were secure. But with their talent, expected at least 3 back in 07/08.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's a difficult question because there is just so much that goes into winning ONE Stanley Cup. Much less multiple. No small amount of luck, too.

After Crosby was drafted I think fans had a pretty good notion that a core consisting of Crosby, Malkin, MAF and whatever they had pulled from their previous drafts (Whitney, Orpik etc... Letang was still a complete unknown and hadn't blown training camp up yet) should compete for SOMETHING. By the time 08 had rolled around though Crosby, Malkin and Letang had established themselves as legit and were coming off a SCF with Detroit. Everyone had gotten a good eyefull, in other words.

If you had asked me from the point of drafting what expectations were... I mean... reasonable. You are happy to achieve ONE Stanley Cup. It is the most difficult prize in sport, IMO. But after seeing those guys and what they were capable of? Don't mistake me... I'm thankful for 3. But that's also appropriate for their level. This is an exceptional core. I personally think they've left one on the table or at least a couple SCF appearances. As exceptional as the core was... it still needed served in order to maximize what they could do. And for many years the FO and coach did not.

And falling into old bad habits is evidently easy.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think idiotic GMing and coaching cost this core another two Finals appearances, if not more. Particularly the asinine about-face by JR after the 2nd of the back to backs and Shero's spiteful loyalty to Bylsma and awful bargain bin vets.
Oh yea, these two clowns pissed away so many assets for such crap return.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
4rqzmp.gif

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
That's a difficult question because there is just so much that goes into winning ONE Stanley Cup. Much less multiple. No small amount of luck, too.

After Crosby was drafted I think fans had a pretty good notion that a core consisting of Crosby, Malkin, MAF and whatever they had pulled from their previous drafts (Whitney, Orpik etc... Letang was still a complete unknown and hadn't blown training camp up yet) should compete for SOMETHING. By the time 08 had rolled around though Crosby, Malkin and Letang had established themselves as legit and were coming off a SCF with Detroit. Everyone had gotten a good eyefull, in other words.

If you had asked me from the point of drafting what expectations were... I mean... reasonable. You are happy to achieve ONE Stanley Cup. It is the most difficult prize in sport, IMO. But after seeing those guys and what they were capable of? Don't mistake me... I'm thankful for 3. But that's also appropriate for their level. This is an exceptional core. I personally think they've left one on the table or at least a couple SCF appearances. As exceptional as the core was... it still needed served in order to maximize what they could do. And for many years the FO and coach did not.

And falling into old bad habits is evidently easy.

That's where I sort of am on this. Not to sound entitled, but between injuries and FO blunders, this team has had a lot of bad breaks. 3 is something to be grateful for and absolutely nothing to sneeze at, but it's hard not to do the old 'what if' and wonder where they are if all the times things broke the wrong way, they had gone the other way.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I’m not sure of the expectations in terms of number of Cups at that time, but I think it was expected during that time and especially in 2012, that we were just going to roll over the competition. 87 and 71 moving into their prime years and still having Staal as a 3C.

I remember a video with Mario in 2012 stating his hope was winning a couple more Cups. So I’ll go with three, lol.

Now? My hope is that we don’t get stuck in purgatory. Go on another run soon. Or, start selling off some second tier players, lower expectations, pick high in a couple drafts and hope it’s not too late for 87 and 71 to lead another strong supporting cast.

Either way, we don’t NEED to do shit all for the rest of this era. Legacies have been established.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Most notably Sid's lost season, the absurdity following the 2nd of back to backs under JR/Sully, the unbelievable coaching folly of Bylsma in that Flyers series, and the Boston series.

It was so, so, so aggravating to hear the fans go to the plate for the FO back in the day by saying they "just couldn't afford" any help for Sid and Geno. Then they would immediately go out and like... sign Scuderi for 5 years at 4M per or whatever.

But hey I guess they had a great coffee boy and the "best third line in hockey."

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Most notably Sid's lost season, the absurdity following the 2nd of back to backs under JR/Sully, the unbelievable coaching folly of Bylsma in that Flyers series, and the Boston series.
The 2012 Flyers series is probably the most frustrating period of my life. Nothing was working for me in real life and then I had to watch Fleury shit the bed and the clowns collapse in front of him every night

What a dark moment :laugh:

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The 2012 Flyers series is probably the most frustrating period of my life. Nothing was working for me in real life and then I had to watch Fleury shit the bed and the clowns collapse in front of him every night

What a dark moment :laugh:

I destroyed a 2500 thousand dollar computer prior to game 3 because I was traveling in Europe and I had put a couple of beers with this type of cap in my bag and they leaked and I had a bag full of a computer and two beers emptied.

c1qbyuoa5dn51.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad