How many Cups were Sid and Geno expected to win following the 07-08 Season

What were reasonable expectations for Cups following the 07-08 Season?

• 1 Cup

• 2 Cups

• 3 cups

• 4 Cups

Results are only viewable after voting.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I don’t even get how people can predict with any certainty how many cups a team should win. This isn’t the 70s or 80s anymore when 1 or 2 awesome lines could win you the cup.

Now it’s basically about how shitty your shitty players are, because they can definitely lose you a 7 game series. And a coach/gm who fall in love with shitty players can lose you a series too. Having a couple of elite players will definitely help, but having 1 shit line or pairing can negate all of the good that the elite players bring.

Back then the shitty lines didn't play all that much either. And the Hawks went full throwback when they won a Cup essentially using four D-men.

I don't remember having any expectations for Cups after 2008. Someone referenced '93. Once you see that team lose in the second round, you (i.e., me) tend to temper expectations. After 2008, just knew the Pens were lucky to have been gifted two generational talents and they should be competitive for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
They also only played 7 seasons together, and made the conference finals 4 of those seasons, while playing for a franchise that had a financial handicap compared to the other top teams.

They also had some outstanding teams during those years that came up well short.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
It's a 30+ team league. Even getting 1 would be an incredible achievement. With that being said, I voted 2. Two generational talents with a stacked roster brings higher exectations.

As someone who's witnessed 3 Stanley Cups and 2 Super bowl wins, I am a spoiled sports fan.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's a 30+ team league. Even getting 1 would be an incredible achievement. With that being said, I voted 2. Two generational talents with a stacked roster brings higher exectations.

As someone who's witnessed 3 Stanley Cups and 2 Super bowl wins, I am a spoiled sports fan.

My Aussie Rules team has won the cup on average every 4 years since I’ve been born. I’ve seen a B2B & a 3Peat. Went against the family to support that team. Good move by me.

Add the Pens 3 cups in 12 years since I’ve followed hockey

Now if only the Titans.........:laugh:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Given they core they had with Fluery and Letang, I expected 4 or 5 Finals appearances 3-4 wins. Nearly there

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
They also only played 7 seasons together, and made the conference finals 4 of those seasons, while playing for a franchise that had a financial handicap compared to the other top teams.

I remember them losing to Florida in 96, what other conference final did they lose?

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Probably 2 cups. I'd say 3 is very fortunate for us. Just look at it the lightning - they've had such loaded lineups last few years and they finally win one. Capitals are another good example - so many president trophy teams over the years and only one cup.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I don't remember having a number back then. I would say my expectations were greater after the 2009 cup. In 07-08, after they'd just lost, I was probably hoping for just one someday.

2010-11, my expectations were off the charts. Crosby adding Richard-level goal scoring prowess the season before, on a tear again early in the season, the HBO series leading to the winter classic showcasing the Pens at the peak of their powers. The cup from two years prior still fresh in my mind. Then Steckel-Hedman happened, Malkin was out that spring with knee injury, the following year where Crosby missed most of the year and then Fleury shit the bed to the Flyers in the POs. At that point I had no expectations; I was just hoping Crosby's health and career would stabilize.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I would say 2, from a reasonable fan perspective. However being the pessimist I was at the time, it was hard to imagine them actually getting it done so soon, especially after losing Hossa. He was so great that playoffs.

Hindsight being 20/20, Sid was coming into the the 2008-09 season at only 21 years old. Malkin was 22. A championship at some point was to be expected.

The 2nd Cup run we looked so strong in. The 3rd one though...wow. Don't think any of us saw that coming when Letang went down. Knocking off Washington in G7 on the road against all the momentum and the whole internet already carving our tombstones. That was the proudest I've ever been of this team. Fleury was magnificent.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
48004382.jpg

In all seriousness, I think 2 is plenty. 3 is just awesome.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The Penguins were gifted two of the very greatest offensive players in the history of the sport who were only separated in age by a year. They took extremely team-friendly contracts for their entire careers, and both could single-handedly raise lesser players in practically any system, they didn't need the team to sacrifice in other aspects to boost their individual numbers (*cough McDavid); 87 and 71 are the team's engine.

And there are people voting they only expected two?

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
The Penguins were gifted two of the very greatest offensive players in the history of the sport who were only separated in age by a year. They took extremely team-friendly contracts for their entire careers, and both could single-handedly raise lesser players in practically any system, they didn't need the team to sacrifice in other aspects to boost their individual numbers (*cough McDavid); 87 and 71 are the team's engine.

Mario and Jagr only were able to pull off two, in a no salary cap era no less. Personally I find that reason enough to expect no more than 2 and a 3rd being gravy

Reactions: EightyOne

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Mario and Jagr only were able to pull off two, in a no salary cap era no less. Personally I find that reason enough to expect no more than 2 and a 3rd being gravy
Mario's constant back issues and then cancer somewhat limited that window I believe. I believe three was very likely once we got two such players in B2B drafts (Geno and Sid). Not to mention MAF and Staal book ending those two. To me that's a hell of a four year haul of elite young talent. Including three such centers. And when you can build down the middle like that, it'd be hard for any team to replicate or compete with.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Mario's constant back issues and then cancer somewhat limited that window I believe. I believe three was very likely once we got two such players in B2B drafts (Geno and Sid). Not to mention MAF and Staal book ending those two. To me that's a hell of a four year haul of elite young talent. Including three such centers. And when you can build down the middle like that, it'd be hard for any team to replicate or compete with.

Maybe had Sid not sustained his concussion/neck issues, the expectations may have been higher. But after that and also Geno's general injury prone self becoming apparent. I didn't find it quite feasible to shoot for more than 2. Staal definitely gave us an even bigger advantage but it wasn't until we moved him the we could eventually afford to have decent wings around Sid and Geno

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Maybe had Sid not sustained his concussion/neck issues, the expectations may have been higher. But after that and also Geno's general injury prone self becoming apparent. I didn't find it quite feasible to shoot for more than 2. Staal definitely gave us an even bigger advantage but it wasn't until we moved him the we could eventually afford to have decent wings around Sid and Geno
But you were talking about it as if we're back to before this era got in full swing. Sid didn't get concussed until 2011.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Malkin and Crosby had not signed those contracts at the point this poll is talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad