How many Cups were Sid and Geno expected to win following the 07-08 Season

What were reasonable expectations for Cups following the 07-08 Season?

• 1 Cup

• 2 Cups

• 3 cups

• 4 Cups

Results are only viewable after voting.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Mario and Jagr only were able to pull off two, in a no salary cap era no less. Personally I find that reason enough to expect no more than 2 and a 3rd being gravy
Mario and Jagr only played 7 seasons together, and no salary cap would hurt a smaller market team.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
But you were talking about it as if we're back to before this era got in full swing. Sid didn't get concussed until 2011.

Even in 08' the Pens were proven to be able to be beaten by well assembled teams like the Wings. Of course it all came together the following year against them yet again but boy was it close in game 7 with a 1 goal deficit. Then again the year after that, they lost to a mediocre Habs team with an unbelievable performance from Halak, someone who won't even make the Hall of Fame was enough to stop prime Sid and Geno.

Its enough to prove that Even having the two best centers in the game at the time, isn't always enough to overcome an opposition that won't even win the cup in their own right. Thus making it hard to predict how many cups a team could win and more than 2 could be shooting a bit too high

Reactions: EightyOne

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Even in 08' the Pens were proven to be able to be beaten by well assembled teams like the Wings. Of course it all came together the following year against them yet again but boy was it close in game 7 with a 1 goal deficit. Then again the year after that, they lost to a mediocre Habs team with an unbelievable performance from Halak, someone who won't even make the Hall of Fame was enough to stop prime Sid and Geno.

Its enough to prove that Even having the two best centers in the game at the time, isn't always enough to overcome an opposition that won't even win the cup in their own right. Thus making it hard to predict how many cups a team could win and more than 2 could be shooting a bit too high
That red wings team was a buzz saw. And our core was so young at the time. That wasn't gonna likely be our only bite at the apple. Again, when you start off with such players it's not hard to believe they would accumulate multiple cups or runs that resulted in hoisting the cup. I'm not surprised even a little bit. Every team EDM twice 84-85/ 87-88, PIT 91-92, COL, DET 97-98 and PIT again 16-17 that boasted arguably the most dynamic center duos (at that point in time) won multiple cups over the last 40 years. And all but one won in B2B fashion. Apparently that's a recipe for success.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
That red wings team was a buzz saw. And our core was so young at the time. That wasn't gonna likely be our only bite at the apple. Again, when you start off with such players it's not hard to believe they would accumulate multiple cups or runs that resulted in hoisting the cup. I'm not surprised even a little bit. Every team EDM, PIT, COL, DET and PIT again that boasted dynamic center duos won multiple cups over the last 40 years.

That Red Wings team was indeed a buzzsaw, and proof enough that the pens could run into that kind of opposition and be enough to stop them. Who knows how things turn out if they were 100% healthy in 09 as well. Its not far out of the realm of possibility to expect multiple as in 2 cups seeing as that is how many Mario and Jagr pulled off. Heck Jagr won a cup in his first 2 years in the league even. Edmonton definitely had a better supporting cast for their dynasty as well. Whether its a great team like the 08 wings or a mediocre team like the 10' Habs with a goalie standing on his head. It's difficult to project how many cups a team can win because any opposition can seemingly be enough to stop a duo such as Sid and Geno

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That Red Wings team was indeed a buzzsaw, and proof enough that the pens could run into that kind of opposition and be enough to stop them. Who knows how things turn out if they were 100% healthy in 09 as well. Its not far out of the realm of possibility to expect multiple as in 2 cups seeing as that is how many Mario and Jagr pulled off. Heck Jagr won a cup in his first 2 years in the league even. Edmonton definitely had a better supporting cast for their dynasty as well. Whether its a great team like the 08 wings or a mediocre team like the 10' Habs with a goalie standing on his head. It's difficult to project how many cups a team can win because any opposition can seemingly be enough to stop a duo such as Sid and Geno
When you're talking about such players over what a 15 year period, they can go many years without winning and still accumulate multiple championships. Again, I'm not surprised, and according to the poll you conducted many agree that three or more seemed likely. We know they achieved three cups, four finals appearances and five conference final appearances. Not bad at all.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Anyone expecting more than 3 cups over 10-20 years is delusional

And as those years go on past 10 the odds start to plummet anyway

No one REALLY knew in 2006 that Geno and Sid would truly stick around in Pittsburgh the whole time

Pens supporting cast was f***ing craig adams and brooks orpik

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And yet it happened. It's amazing to me how an opinion on the matter seems to upset some peoples sensibilities who don't agree with it, yet the facts are it actually occurred. Maybe your expectations were too low.

Regardless, it's certainly not something to get fired up about. lol

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I thought 1 more was totally possible and would put them on the same level as Jagr and Lemieux.

I hope they can get at least 1 more and be in some elite company. 2 more puts their in a conversation all their own.

Reactions: BHD

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
When you're talking about such players over what a 15 year period, they can go many years without winning and still accumulate multiple championships. Again, I'm not surprised, and according to the poll you conducted many agree that three or more seemed likely. We know they achieved three cups, four finals appearances and five conference final appearances. Not bad at all.

After 2014-15 many sports puindits were insinuating that Sid and Geno only had that 1 cup in them, because time and again either injuries or poor playoff performances by the team (Fleury in 2013) or better opposition (Halak in 2010). I know you aren't surprised. However as of now more people have voted for 2 cups vs 3, though admitadley there are more people turning out than i had expected for a vote of 3, I think voting for 4 is still nuts in a cap era. Also as pointed out we all had no idea if Geno and Sid were going to stick around for their career back in 08'.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
After 07 - two.

At point of drafting Sid - 1-2

Now? Whatever happens I am happy.

Well of course YOU'RE happy. You and your damned deal with the devil for #3 ****** up any chance we had to see #4.

Like you thought Kunitz needed the help of the hockey gods for a 'Kunitz was there' outcome in game 7 of the 2017 ECF. FFS . . .:mad:

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well of course YOU'RE happy. You and your damned deal with the devil for #3 ****** up any chance we had to see #4.

Like you thought Kunitz needed the help of the hockey gods for a 'Kunitz was there' outcome in game 7 of the 2017 ECF. FFS . . .:mad:

You would have NEVER seen 3 if I didn't sell my soul. Think about that Kunitz goal. He knuckled that mother f***er so the devil could drag/drop that puck over the shoulder of Anderson. And instead of the Fox light up puck... my soul was the fire you saw attached to it.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Personally I think if they really played their cards right and drafted more number one draft picks they could have won 5 Cups by now...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Personally I think if they really played their cards right and drafted more number one draft picks they could have won 5 Cups by now...

I take the ... as sarcasm. If not... I think that is a crazy crazy crazy crazy opinion in a salary cap world. But also I commend you for being a dreamer. Because life is a garden. You plant that shit in your mind and watch it grow.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Lmaooo we’re so spoiled. This is why people hate us :laugh::laugh::laugh:

There’s no way a team can win 5 in the Cap era. If you could go back and redo all the moves you still probably won’t win 5.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
06-07 - 1st round exit to Ottawa - learning on the job
07-08 - Finals loss to Detroit - 4-2 series against much more experienced team
08-09 - Cup #1
09-10 - 2nd round exit to Montreal - Blackhawks would win the Cup - below expectations
10-11 - 1st round exit to Tampa - everyone hurt - No chance, next
11-12 - 1st round exit to Philly - Kings would win the Cup - definitely below expectations
12-13 - 3rd round exit to Boston - Blackhawks would win Cup - would've been the big Pens/Hawks in their prime final..
13-14 - 2nd round exit to NYR - Kings win Cup - organizational restructure
14-15 - 1st round exit to NYR - Blackhawks win Cup - no chance to compete in this one unlike '10 and '13
15-16 - Cup #2
16-17 - Cup #3 - first back-to-back with Salary Cap
17-18 - 2nd round exit to Caps - Caps would win the Cup - fair play, won 9 straight series'
18-19 - 1st round exit to NYI - Blues win Cup - definitely below expectations
19-20 - MTL - no comment

So Since Sid (first year without Malkin) - 3 cup wins, 4 Finals.
No missed playoffs
In my opinion, 5 "bad" exits - either too early for the talent they had or way below expectations

Not bad ;)

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Penguins have never had a competent GM. They won those cups in spite of being built horribly.

That’s how good Sid and Geno are. They carried mediocre wingers, defensemen, and goalies.

MrPucky66

Jun 1, 2017
Following the 2008 Cup loss, I expected the Pens to win at least one. When they won in 2009, I expected a total of 4 with Crosby/Malkin. The reason being is that Crosby was compared to Gretzky A LOT when he came into the league. When the Pens beat the Red Wings a year after losing to them, the similarities grew as the Oilers beat the Islanders a year after losing to them in the Cup Final. The Gretzky-led Oilers went on and won 4 cups.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
My Aussie Rules team has won the cup on average every 4 years since I’ve been born. I’ve seen a B2B & a 3Peat. Went against the family to support that team. Good move by me.

Add the Pens 3 cups in 12 years since I’ve followed hockey

Now if only the Titans.........:laugh:

That Aussie Rules thing makes me wish I had a vested interest in any smaller (team-wise) leagues or that the one team I root for with an actual financial advantage is in a league that'll have a team in Erie by the end of the decade at the current rate of expansion...

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
After winning it in 2009 I think 3 Cups is what i wanted and I thought they could get more. After two years in a row making the finals I thought the Pens would get at least 3 Cup wins. I don't know what my thoughts had been after losing that first one. I think anything over 3 would be considered icing on the cake.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Bylsma made so many questionable decisions that's hard to gauge what they could have done after the Cup in 2009. If I had to pick one season, it would be 2013.

So 4, I guess... I'm not going to complain though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad