How many Cups were Sid and Geno expected to win following the 07-08 Season

What were reasonable expectations for Cups following the 07-08 Season?

• 1 Cup

• 2 Cups

• 3 cups

• 4 Cups

Results are only viewable after voting.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It was so, so, so aggravating to hear the fans go to the plate for the FO back in the day by saying they "just couldn't afford" any help for Sid and Geno. Then they would immediately go out and like... sign Scuderi for 5 years at 4M per or whatever.

But hey I guess they had a great coffee boy and the "best third line in hockey."

... What's changed??

I destroyed a 2500 thousand dollar computer prior to game 3 because I was traveling in Europe and I had put a couple of beers with this type of cap in my bag and they leaked and I had a bag full of a computer and two beers emptied.

c1qbyuoa5dn51.jpg
Wait... Wtf... Carry the one... Divide by pie..

You destroyed a 2.5 million dollar computer??

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Happy with 2
Hopeful for 3

was my personal belief, 4th would be cool but doesn't really affect legacy of the core much

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Winning three cups with Shero and JR as your GMs is the most impressive thing about their careers. Although, JR made some pretty nice trades in 2015 and 2016.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
One of my biggest regrets is the years 2012-2015. I can tell you what happened/how every season of sid/geno ended. Except those. (I do remember 12). It’s been semi erased from my memory. Which isn’t a bad thing. Just the biggest pretender ever those years. But just a huge gap in their primes that was wasted.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
... What's changed??

Ha! Fair point.

Though at least JR and especially Sullivan have displayed more than just some passing competence, here. Shero and Disco were trash here and then trash wherever they landed afterward. It's like they didn't even want to TRY for their franchise players and were constantly looking for ways to get cute and create like... cornball redemption or everyman stories instead of winning damned championships.

Pissed off as I am at JR/Sully these days... I take them 10/10 times over those goofs.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
One of my biggest regrets is the years 2012-2015. I can tell you what happened/how every season of sid/geno ended. Except those. (I do remember 12). It’s been semi erased from my memory. Which isn’t a bad thing. Just the biggest pretender ever those years. But just a huge gap in their primes that was wasted.

One thing to remember is how much did those times influence what led to B2B cups?

Yeah maybe we win more but then what if we win another with Shero/Bylsma followed by a bunch of very good seasons that get us close but don’t win.

Even the firings delayed a year might not net is JR & Sully because everything changes.

The back 2 backs were worth any pain. 2016 was something I don’t think I’ll see again for a long long time, if ever. Best hockey I’ve ever watched.

So I wouldn’t change a thing :)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
One thing to remember is how much did those times influence what led to B2B cups?

Yeah maybe we win more but then what if we win another with Shero/Bylsma followed by a bunch of very good seasons that get us close but don’t win.

Even the firings delayed a year might not net is JR & Sully because everything changes.

The back 2 backs were worth any pain. 2016 was something I don’t think I’ll see again for a long long time, if ever. Best hockey I’ve ever watched.

So I wouldn’t change a thing :)

They were also cathartic. Crosby’s seasons from 15-16 - 16-17 after McDavid came in the league were defining of his legacy.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
They were also cathartic. Crosby’s seasons from 15-16 - 16-17 after McDavid came in the league were defining of his legacy.

Why do you make me look up words?
I’m on vacation. :laugh:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I can't honestly say I remember what the expectations were at the time, but looking back, 3 Cups and 4 Finals appearances is hard to complain about. There were opportunities that were lost due to injuries, bad luck, mismanagement or poor coaching. But then there was also the unexpectedly shrewd moves that JR made for a year or two that brought home 2 Cups that few were expecting.

And when the Penguins did make it to the Finals they only lost once to a powerhouse team while they were led by inexperienced youngsters. They made the most of the opportunities that they did have. Hell, they only lost in the 3rd round once. Out of 5 times they made it to the conference finals they won the Cup 3 times, you can't ask for much better than that.

Reactions: TheTang58

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's always instructive to remember that Lemieux and Jagr only went to 2 Finals and won 2 Cups.
'93 was the biggest kick in the ''pants'' you could get. That team was like an all star team. For a while you assumed a win regardless of which team their opponent was. No question the most disgusting feeling one could imagine. David Volek that filthy dirty rotten SOB!

Reactions: steelcityassault

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like people who were expecting a ton of cups were putting unreasonable expectations on their team.

The Penguins with Lemieux and Jagr only won 2 cups, and they really only even got "close" to another one once. And frankly, I don't think losing in the ECF is that "close", either. I feel like fans should be extremely happy with 3 cups, but even if they only won 2, I feel like fans should be satisfied.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I don’t even get how people can predict with any certainty how many cups a team should win. This isn’t the 70s or 80s anymore when 1 or 2 awesome lines could win you the cup.

Now it’s basically about how shitty your shitty players are, because they can definitely lose you a 7 game series. And a coach/gm who fall in love with shitty players can lose you a series too. Having a couple of elite players will definitely help, but having 1 shit line or pairing can negate all of the good that the elite players bring.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
It's always instructive to remember that Lemieux and Jagr only went to 2 Finals and won 2 Cups.
They also only played 7 seasons together, and made the conference finals 4 of those seasons, while playing for a franchise that had a financial handicap compared to the other top teams.

Reactions: Al Smith

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->