How long until Mcdavid takes over league lead in points?

How many games played by Mcdavid before he leads the league?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Last year also saw 2nd PP unit,that has changed this year as well. I f you want to believe Babs knows best,suit yourself! He is over -ratedbig time!
If anyone is trying to support the idea that Auston would not get more points with more ice time is being intellectually dishonest!
He is the league leader in scoring even strength goals since he entered the league! This year,he has 4 PP goals already and although I haven't checked ,likely still leads the league in 5x5 goals. I can't extrapolate what 5 more minutes of ice time would do,but it would be substantial!
Not a chance Matthews or any other player in the NHL would have 9 points in 4 games on the Oilers this season no matter how many minutes they played.

Last edited:
Reactions: 780il

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Well where is the 5 minutes coming from?

Your talking about playing on different pp units and then trying to use that to explain away a 5 minute gap of icetime. The 1st pp unit in Toronto does not play 5 minutes more per game than the 2nd unit....unless they are getting 12 power plays a game...which they arent.

We arent talking about Goalscoring. AM is a better goalscorer than McDavid, but that isnt the discussion. We are talking about overall total points.

Last year McDavid had about 85 minutes of pk time, Mathews had 1.27.
Matthews had 951es to. McDavid had 1383es toi.
Matthew's pp - 132 and McDavid- 236

Keep in mind all totals are lower sinceMatthews missed 20 games.

Matthew's does get less time on the pp because both units are insane, and he scores more on the second unit than connor on the first. Would he score more on the first, sure, but not by a lot. It's not like hes going from an inferior unit to a great one....the pp gap is relatively small compared to the ES gap

McDavid is just a better ES player, Matthew's may score a few more goals but at ES McDavid is far more dangerous and better on transition. Transitions occur more frequently during a game then a team setting up in the ozone and having their way. The game is shifting to faster and transition oriented styles, it's why Vegas blitzed everyone last year while running what many considered to be an inferior defense. . Recover the puck then hit the burners.

I dont necessarily believe he knows "best" (does anyone?) since he has a hard on for vets and hard working lads. But I do believe he knows better than anyone positing on here. That's just simply by virtue of the information that he has available to him that you dont. These teams have a wealth of statistical data and other information that they use, which we are not privy to. That is a fact.
Are you still trying to say that more ice time will not lead to more points? No other aspects needed...it was/is a general belief! I care not what you want to bring into it! Disect it ,create scenarios to suit your silly take! More ice time leads to more points!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Not a chance Matthews or any other player in the NHL would have 9 points in 4 games on the Oilers this season no matter how many minutes they played.
Well ,suppose you take 5 minutes a game away from him. How do you think he would make out? Less points? likely!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
You can take 5 minutes away from him and he would score more points on a better team.
Not buyin' it ! He is good on his own,no matter ! I mean the analytics will paint all manner of pictures,that's fine and all and sometimes I look at it,but overall a player who is an outstanding talent is gonna produce everywhere in all situations !
My original point and only point really,is that Auston would put up more points if he played 5 minutes a game(on par with Connor) more! Which would make it more difficult(take more games) for McDavid to pass him on the leader board! Everything else that people (McDavid fans?) are bringing up is completely irrelevant to my position on the matter!

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Not buyin' it ! He is good on his own,no matter ! I mean the analytics will paint all manner of pictures,that's fine and all and sometimes I look at it,but overall a player who is an outstanding talent is gonna produce everywhere in all situations !
My original point and only point really,is that Auston would put up more points if he played 5 minutes a game(on par with Connor) more! Which would make it more difficult(take more games) for McDavid to pass him on the leader board! Everything else that people (McDavid fans?) are bringing up is completely irrelevant to my position on the matter!
If you think teammates and quality of team does not effect offensive effectiveness you are out to lunch. There is a reason why most of the top scorers every season are from the better teams in the league and it is not because they play their star players more minutes.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
If you think teammates and quality of team does not effect offensive effectiveness you are out to lunch. There is a reason why most of the top scorers every season are from the better teams in the league and it is not because they play their star players more minutes.
Affects? sure ,but it's far from the big picture of a players ability !
Point remains...more ice ...more points...really is a simple concept! And can I get fries with my lunch?

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
His team sucks and the Leafs are on fire so might not get there at all.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
What's even crazier is to think what kind of point totals McDavid could have if he played on a good team.

Reactions: dukeofjive

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Are you still trying to say that more ice time will not lead to more points? No other aspects needed...it was/is a general belief! I care not what you want to bring into it! Disect it ,create scenarios to suit your silly take! More ice time leads to more points!

You brought in the 5 minutes and then you're only basis was moving up a pp unit. That will get him more points, but not up from 80 to 100. The second pp unit in Toronto isnt that bad.

Now it's a belief? So it's not based on fact or reality then...

I already explained that more ice time leads to more points up to a certain degree.

It's just not going as simple as saying well 25% more minutes = Matthew's scoring 25% more points and scoring 105+ points. He may, but it's not anywhere near a guarantee....

You cant even stay on track in your own argument. You brought these things into it, not me. Then you backtracked to pp time. Now your trying to strawman some general icetime-increase argument...Will a player score more points if his icetime increases from 2 minutes to 10? Yes. Wow guess you proved me wrong.

Reactions: varank

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Interesting to add that Kucherov and Stamkos had similar paces to what Matthews is putting up right now at the beginning of last season, and Mcdavid was nowhere to be seen in the top 20 of points, and still managed to absolutely blow everyone out of the water.

He didn't blow anyone out of the water. We aren't talking about a player dominating scoring races

If he can win an AR by 20%, it'd be fair to say he dominated, but he is winning by a couple points

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's crazy that the Oil can't score at all without Connor. I can't believe the Oil found a way to f*** up a generational talent. I honestly thought they were trending the right way a couple seasons ago; where it seemed they found some depth, they had a decent backend, they had a good goalie...

5v5, even a guy like Draisaitl only has 1 point; and that's with Connor playing with him. Like.the NHL isn't built like the NBA. You can't just win because you have the better single star player.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
no, I'm saying we don't know if the Oilers are bad or not

they've played 4 whole games
I'm not talking about this season alone. Looking at the past couple of years it's the same thing. McDavid is to the Oilers what Lebron was to the Cavaliers.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Ice time and points are not linear. And what hes saying is that the difference in minutes played is largely attributed to Matthews zero factor on the pk while mcdavid is a first line penalty killer.

Reactions: dukeofjive

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Ice time and points are not linear. And what hes saying is that the difference in minutes played is largely attributed to Matthews zero factor on the pk while mcdavid is a first line penalty killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad