How long until Mcdavid takes over league lead in points?

How many games played by Mcdavid before he leads the league?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
McDavid tier.

The rest.
I’d give him about 10 games to reel the others in and pass them. Third straight Art Ross incoming.
Could see Mac keeping it close for second though as he’s a proven top point getter.

Reactions: varank

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Lmfao lets not forget yall have Auston MathLoseInRoundOne
I loved when they bashed McDavid for having 9 points in 13 games, saying hes choking..

And then when Matthews ends up with 9 points in his first 13 games.. He's just getting adjusted to the playoffs!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
it was never a question of if, but a question of when
Well of course . Doesn't hurt that he plays 23 plus minutes a game...approx. 5 min. a game more than Auston. Roughly 400 min of ice time a year. Kinda stands to reason that he should have more points by some point during the season !

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Well of course . Doesn't hurt that he plays 23 plus minutes a game...approx. 5 min. a game more than Auston. Roughly 400 min of ice time a year. Kinda stands to reason that he should have more points by some point during the season !
If Babcock knew that the only thing separating Matthews from McDavid was ice time, he'd be making adjustments and giving it to him.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
You are right...... Every team should play thier stars 60 minutes a game.... Because that means more points.... Brilliant
Oh ..i get it ...you default to being ridiculous when presented with facts ! What part don't ya get? Player A plays 5 minutes a game more than player B...if you are a betting person (hope you're not) which one do ya put your money on? To help clarify for you ...Player A is getting 5 games to every 4 that Player B gets...over the course of a season,well,I'm sure you can do the simple math!

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Oh ..i get it ...you default to being ridiculous when presented with facts ! What part don't ya get? Player A plays 5 minutes a game more than player B...if you are a betting person (hope you're not) which one do ya put your money on? To help clarify for you ...Player A is getting 5 games to every 4 that Player B gets...over the course of a season,well,I'm sure you can do the simple math!
Players that play more are better and can sustain thier play, as shown by mcdavid over the past two years playing better as the season goes on. Others who play less cant play more because there play diminishes to much and over the course of a season that player would be useless as shown by almost all the rest of the league. Do you not trust that Babcock is playing Matthews at his peak level/playing time? Also you are assuming that both players are producing at the same level which is false. If player A produces 8 points in those 5 games and player B produces 5 points in those 4 games who the hell cares about who played more it's obvious player A is producing better if they can sustain that average over the season

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He’ll catch up and surpass in 5 or 6 games or so. He’s only played 4 games thus far.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Players that play more are better and can sustain thier play, as shown by mcdavid over the past two years playing better as the season goes on. Others who play less cant play more because there play diminishes to much and over the course of a season that player would be useless as shown by almost all the rest of the league. Do you not trust that Babcock is playing Matthews at his peak level/playing time? Also you are assuming that both players are producing at the same level which is false. If player A produces 8 points in those 5 games and player B produces 5 points in those 4 games who the hell cares about who played more it's obvious player A is producing better if they can sustain that average over the season
Your 'theory' is flawed! And no,I certainly do not trust Babcock to try and maximize Austons production,as he cares not about such matters! If you think tha tAuston wouldn't get more points by playing 5 more minutes a game,you are being intentionally stubborn. Do you really believe Auston couldn't handle more minutes? Seriously? If it were not for the presence of JT then Auston would quite likely be on the ice more. It isn't because he can't handle it,it is the coaches call!

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Your 'theory' is flawed! And no,I certainly do not trust Babcock to try and maximize Austons production,as he cares not about such matters! If you think tha tAuston wouldn't get more points by playing 5 more minutes a game,you are being intentionally stubborn. Do you really believe Auston couldn't handle more minutes? Seriously? If it were not for the presence of JT then Auston would quite likely be on the ice more. It isn't because he can't handle it,it is the coaches call!

But JT wasnt around last year, and Matthew's still wasnt getting comparable icetime. So that cant be right. Maybe Nylander was stealing his icetime?

Maybe the NHL coach, who is constantly projected as top 5 at his position, knows what his players optimal ice times are since he practices with them 25 times a month... Matthew's generates less offense off the rush, and there is no guarantee that his increased ice time would be linearly proportional to point scoring. What if Babcock starts giving him an extra minute and a half of penalty killing time?

The stats are a product of his icetime. Such and such points with such and such usage in such and such situations. You cant just increase the usage/situations and assume a linear and proportional increase in the stats. Stats are historical data, and using them to predict future outcomes is not an exact science...even more so when you are talking something as complicated as icetime. All of a players efficiencies, disadvantages, advantages, and those of his opponents are coalescing within his icetime. There's too many variables, how can you add 25%-30% more exposure to the variables and then say with a certainty what will come out of it?

Edit:
There is a threshold, I would theorize that is similar to an efficient frontier in portfolio management. As icetime increases, production increases. As icetime exceeds a players efficient threshold, they will have to put more effort in to see returns. Eventually the amount of effort required to see marginal increases in production is such that they start to wear down...its called diminishing returns.

No one in this thread knows where that is for Matthew's, we dont have access to his physicals. I would bet that it's closer to his current ice time then it is to 23 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
But JT wasnt around last year, and Matthew's still wasnt getting comparable icetime. So that cant be right. Maybe Nylander was stealing his icetime?

Maybe the NHL coach, who is constantly projected as top 5 at his position, knows what his players optimal ice times are since he practices with them 25 times a month... Matthew's generates less offense off the rush, and there is no guarantee that his increased ice time would be linearly proportional to point scoring. What if Babcock starts giving him an extra minute and a half of penalty killing time?

The stats are a product of his icetime. Such and such points with such and such usage in such and such situations. You cant just increase the usage/situations and assume a linear and proportional increase in the stats. Stats are historical data, and using them to predict future outcomes is not an exact science.
Last year also saw 2nd PP unit,that has changed this year as well. I f you want to believe Babs knows best,suit yourself! He is over -ratedbig time!
If anyone is trying to support the idea that Auston would not get more points with more ice time is being intellectually dishonest!
He is the league leader in scoring even strength goals since he entered the league! This year,he has 4 PP goals already and although I haven't checked ,likely still leads the league in 5x5 goals. I can't extrapolate what 5 more minutes of ice time would do,but it would be substantial!

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Last year also saw 2nd PP unit,that has changed this year as well. I f you want to believe Babs knows best,suit yourself! He is over -ratedbig time!
If anyone is trying to support the idea that Auston would not get more points with more ice time is being intellectually dishonest!
He is the league leader in scoring even strength goals since he entered the league! This year,he has 4 PP goals already and although I haven't checked ,likely still leads the league in 5x5 goals. I can't extrapolate what 5 more minutes of ice time would do,but it would be substantial!

Well where is the 5 minutes coming from?

Your talking about playing on different pp units and then trying to use that to explain away a 5 minute gap of icetime. The 1st pp unit in Toronto does not play 5 minutes more per game than the 2nd unit....unless they are getting 12 power plays a game...which they arent.

We arent talking about Goalscoring. AM is a better goalscorer than McDavid, but that isnt the discussion. We are talking about overall total points.

Last year McDavid had about 85 minutes of pk time, Mathews had 1.27.
Matthews had 951es to. McDavid had 1383es toi.
Matthew's pp - 132 and McDavid- 236

Keep in mind all totals are lower sinceMatthews missed 20 games.

Matthew's does get less time on the pp because both units are insane, and he scores more on the second unit than connor on the first. Would he score more on the first, sure, but not by a lot. It's not like hes going from an inferior unit to a great one....the pp gap is relatively small compared to the ES gap

McDavid is just a better ES player, Matthew's may score a few more goals but at ES McDavid is far more dangerous and better on transition. Transitions occur more frequently during a game then a team setting up in the ozone and having their way. The game is shifting to faster and transition oriented styles, it's why Vegas blitzed everyone last year while running what many considered to be an inferior defense. . Recover the puck then hit the burners.

I dont necessarily believe he knows "best" (does anyone?) since he has a hard on for vets and hard working lads. But I do believe he knows better than anyone positing on here. That's just simply by virtue of the information that he has available to him that you dont. These teams have a wealth of statistical data and other information that they use, which we are not privy to. That is a fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad