How long can you take it until Oilers Mngtmnt busts out and says enough is enough????

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
To bring up the frustration of the last 10 years, then be impatient and lay blame on TM and Chia is just plain unfair. They have just taken over a club that we all can agree had major flaws. TM has been great with putting a system that the players are buying into. There play has improved drastically this season. It's gonna take time people.
For those that expect Chia to go get a top paring Defenceman THIS year, ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Teams just dont give them away mid season. There's a pretty good chance we don't get one in the offseason as well. I can see him aquiring atleast a 3-4 guy for sure, the rest will depend on what's available.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
I actually wouldn't mind throwing 7 mill/ 6 years to buff. Get a couple good years of D out of him, then move him up to wing if he regresses to a point where his D isn't great anymore. He would still be an effective power forward you would think. To accomidate salary you would eventually have to move out ebs or nuge for some promising prospects maybe?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I honestly thought Chiarelli would do something with this roster by game 20-25. Everyone can see it has issues, especially defensively.

I guess the injury excuse/factor buys time for everyone and Chiarelli wants more time to see what the roster performs like when it's completely healthy (if that ever happens).

I think we already all know though that the roster is too small and filled with too many players that don't play a gritty or physical game plus the D is inadequate... that's obviously clear to Chiarelli as well but as they say it takes two to tango so trades and acquisitions are hard to make (especially during the season).

As I've said in another thread... having this lineup sans-McDavid at least gives us all a clear view what this team is capable of without a generational talent clouding the picture.

This team shouldn't need McDavid to push them towards being a .500 team... this team should be at least average NOW and McDavid should be the factor that pushes them towards being truly competitive.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Chia is waiting till off-season before he makes major moves. We all knew that would happen so I don't see the point in complaining.

This off-season will be entertaining, Schultz, Ference, Fayne, Nikitin, should all be gone freeing up room and cap with the hopes of trading for better dman or singing someone in off-season (Demers). Then there is the big trade chip in Eberle that could be moved. As much as i hate RNH right now for his ****** play so far this year, I don't see him keeping this up next year and we shouldn't trade him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Chia is waiting till off-season before he makes major moves. We all knew that would happen so I don't see the point in complaining.

This off-season will be entertaining, Schultz, Ference, Fayne, Nikitin, should all be gone freeing up room and cap with the hopes of trading for better dman or singing someone in off-season (Demers). Then there is the big trade chip in Eberle that could be moved. As much as i hate RNH right now for his ****** play so far this year, I don't see him keeping this up next year and we shouldn't trade him.

But this shouldn't be Plan A. He should be improving the team now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Again, it's really easy to lose sight of this, but right now we have 39 points.

After 45 games last year, if my math is right, we had 29.

That is tangible, quantifiable improvement, and that's with just was many, if not more, injury problems as we had last year.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I think I was one of the more optimistic people on here, and I'm trying to be as fair to Chiarelli as possible because he inherited some bad contracts, but I think my patience is just about through. Worst defensive group in the league and Chiarelli doesn't do much to address it (1 NHL dman added). Did he really need to waste what looks to be an entire season to evaluate that he took over a majorly flawed core?

A full decade of being a laughingstock. Wonderful.

I have been saying this all season - look at last year's game tapes if you want to evaluate a whole season. McDavid isn't magically going to change everything. Now he can't dial the phone because he's sitting on his hands - not many hints that he's even trying to better the team. Same old.

Gretzkyforever99

Dec 28, 2014
Great White North
this season just held a little bit more promise, a little bit more buzz around the team with McDavid and the new coaching staff/GM. Never thought this group was going to be a playoff team so it makes it that much more frustrating as a fan with the winning streak putting the team in a playoff spot only to see it all for nothing really since Christmas. Points wasted and lost vs division rivals are killers and there have been plenty of those this season.
changes are coming no doubt but there is no need to be jumping on Chia and the coaching staff just yet they inherited this mess and the contracts that were given to the players, not every team is ready to just pick up the bottom feeder players that we have. can't waive every player and call up guys from the minors. I do wish this would happen though sometimes lol

Originally Posted By*

Is this board prepared to lose a Taylor Hall? A Draisatl? Or a Nurse/Klefbom?

That is the reality of our situation. Most General Managers aren't stupid, and you're not getting a Shattenkirk, Hedman, OEL, or Pietro for spare parts. As good as Eberle/Nuge is, they don't get you a legit #1 Defenceman.

If you're comfortable trading for a top four D-man then yes, RNH/Ebs can get you one. Is that what this team really needs though? I personally think that's a lateral move at best. This team is missing a legit #1 D and I wish Oilers would have snatched OEL while he waa still relatively unknown.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If Mcdavid was healthy this season a lot of these 1 goal losses would turn into wins, which is why I'm cautiously optimistic. With that being said, there is still some dead weight on the team that needs to be gone and the defense has to be addressed. For once I would like a solid defense heading into the regular season.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
If Mcdavid was healthy this season a lot of these 1 goal losses would turn into wins, which is why I'm cautiously optimistic. With that being said, there is still some dead weight on the team that needs to be gone and the defense has to be addressed. For once I would like a solid defense heading into the regular season.

and if Hall or Sekera were injured at all this season, we would be even worse, ...that's a silly argument

problem lies in lack of depth a D and some players having off years

-RNH not taking a step is very disappointing
-hot and cold Eberle
-Lander forgetting how to play hockey
-too many rookies at D in the line-up
-inconsistent goaltending

we seem to have excuses all the time like "tough schedule" or "we haven't played a lot of home games" but that shouldn't matter

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
But this shouldn't be Plan A. He should be improving the team now.

So take the lesser deal now to look busy (making a move at this point will not result in this team making the playoffs) rather than actually trying to improve the team at the optimal time (based on certain Oilers players' contracts expiring and external player availability)? Plan A should always be the plan that improves the team the most.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Don't worry, (lowe/Mac-t/tambo/Chia) will wave his magic wand in the off-season, everything will be better next year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So take the lesser deal now to look busy (making a move at this point will not result in this team making the playoffs) rather than actually trying to improve the team at the optimal time (based on certain Oilers players' contracts expiring and external player availability)? Plan A should always be the plan that improves the team the most.

Small deals can have large impacts. It's clear that something needs to be done with this team, especially the defense. The playoffs are an afterthought, this is a good time to build for next year. Bring players in and get them acquainted with the players and system and have a good start next year.

If you just bring in a bunch of players in the off-season... Well, you saw what happened this year.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Small deals can have large impacts. It's clear that something needs to be done with this team, especially the defense. The playoffs are an afterthought, this is a good time to build for next year. Bring players in and get them acquainted with the players and system and have a good start next year.

If you just bring in a bunch of players in the off-season... Well, you saw what happened this year.

Exactly this.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
and if Hall or Sekera were injured at all this season, we would be even worse, ...that's a silly argument

problem lies in lack of depth a D and some players having off years

-RNH not taking a step is very disappointing
-hot and cold Eberle
-Lander forgetting how to play hockey
-too many rookies at D in the line-up
-inconsistent goaltending

we seem to have excuses all the time like "tough schedule" or "we haven't played a lot of home games" but that shouldn't matter

Is it really off years or just the norm?

Nuge is on pace for his usual mid-50 pts total and Lander was never an NHL quality player. I don't buy into the "well the play with Nelson" rationalization most give.

The only player I can somewhat say is having an "off" year is Eberle [despite me ripping into his play for much of the year] but he's not off it by that much. On pace, if he played a full 82, mid-50 pts. I generally see him as a 30-30 player with few instances of 70+ pts if all the stars line up. Only difference I see this year that differs from the past is his seemingly lack of effort or sense of urgency.

This team is just poorly designed with zero synergy. It relies way too heavily on basically 2 rookie centers, 1 LW [damaged goods?], 2 inexperienced D-man and praying for the Goalie to stand on its head more often than not. When 1 goes down or plays poorly, the rest of the team crumbles.

Last edited:

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

That is the reality of our situation. Most General Managers aren't stupid, and you're not getting a Shattenkirk, Hedman, OEL, or Pietro for spare parts. As good as Eberle/Nuge is, they don't get you a legit #1 Defenceman.

If you're comfortable trading for a top four D-man then yes, RNH/Ebs can get you one. Is that what this team really needs though? I personally think that's a lateral move at best. This team is missing a legit #1 D and I wish Oilers would have snatched OEL while he waa still relatively unknown.

I think it goes farther than what you suggest and your last point is closer to the truth than your earlier ones. Teams dont trade #1 defencemen period, end of story. So you either have to grab a player you hope is going to develop into one like OEL several years ago as you mentioned or Seth Jones or Dougie Hamilton this year. It's going to be a risky move and there is a chance they only end up topping out as second pairing guys. Your other option is to go for a UFA like Byfuglien this summer and dont kid yourself you will have to overpay to get him. It's pretty much one or the other and I absolutely agree another mid tier d-man isnt going to make a lot of difference for this team.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Is it really off years or just the norm?

Nuge is on pace for his usual mid-50 pts total and Lander was never an NHL quality player. I don't buy into the "well the play with Nelson" rationalization most give.

The only player I can somewhat say is having an "off" year is Eberle [despite me ripping into his play for much of the year] but he's not off it by that much. On pace, if he played a full 82, mid-50 pts. I generally see him as a 30-30 player with few instances of 70+ pts if all the stars line up. Only difference I see this year that differs is his seemingly lack of effort or urgency.

This team is just poorly designed with zero synergy. It relies way too heavily on basically 2 rookie centers, 1 LW [damaged goods?], 2 inexperienced D-man and praying for the Goalie to stand on its head more often than not. When 1 goes down or plays poorly, the rest of the team crumbles.

fair enough about Lander...maybe he was never an NHLer and just got hot last year

but I think Nuge still has a lot more to give

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
fair enough about Lander...maybe he was never an NHLer and just got hot last year

but I think Nuge still has a lot more to give

Given the needs of the team and how Draisaitl and McDavid may have already surpassed him, I'm not even sure Nuge will be around when he finally becomes the player we expected him to be

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site

For me, absolutely. But I'm also someone who would trade McDavid for the right deal (and by "right", I don't necessarily mean the proverbial massive and prohibitive overpayment). This team and much of its fanbase has way, WAYYYY too much emotional attachment to a group of chronically under-performing players who have accomplished
images

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Anyone outside of Hall, Nurse, McDavid are attainable without a thought. I would still do Eberle for Hamonic and I like Eberle's production as he is a very good scorer.

Hall, Nurse for top flight #1 (Josi/Suter/etc).
McDavid no chance.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Chiarelli has said that he wants time to see what the team is and what the players can do. That was kind of messed up with the injuries to Eberle, and then Yak/McDavid/Klefbom. At the least, I would expect that he wants to see if McD and Eberle have chemistry before deciding who is most likely the "core" going forward.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

We have had the most man games lost due to injury this year, and it has been with key players, not depth guys, going out. Of course injuries matter. There will always be injuries, but the Oil have had a crazy stretch of bad luck all year with key players going down. Eberle. McDavid. Klefbom. Even Yakupov and Pouliot. Heck, we were playing without our entire 2nd line for weeks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad