How long can you take it until Oilers Mngtmnt busts out and says enough is enough????

Dakine879

Apr 24, 2015
Edmonton
Sorry i can't take it anymore... I need the Oilers to take a stand and say...what......this sucks....i can't take it anymore. we need to show a little heart before we lose. ( we lose...no loose as according to Stauffer for giving crap to the hilbilly who made a spelling mistake today on the radio... sorry Bob, not everyone has a UofA degree.)

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
At this point, I think we're looking at sometime around the draft. Season looks to be done.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I think I was one of the more optimistic people on here, and I'm trying to be as fair to Chiarelli as possible because he inherited some bad contracts, but I think my patience is just about through. Worst defensive group in the league and Chiarelli doesn't do much to address it (1 NHL dman added). Did he really need to waste what looks to be an entire season to evaluate that he took over a majorly flawed core?

A full decade of being a laughingstock. Wonderful.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
And what can they do? Who is going to drop in a top pairing Dman like OEL into our laps?

Face it, Chia failed with small adds like Gryba and Reinhart - who at best are bottom-pairing AHL-tweeners. I think he understands the core problems of the team now than when he started.

IMO Schultz and Eberle need to go. They don't fit into the traditional blue collar lunch-bucket Oilers mold.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
DSC_5272.JPG

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I can't un-love this team, that's the nature of sports, but this team needs to fix itself in time for game 1 next year. That means doing whatever it takes to to bring a balance of skill, a balance of leadership and a balance of experience. If that means Hopkins, Eberle, Yakupov and our 1st move on in exchange for a top defenseman and some depth forwards with dimension, then so be it. This team hasn't had balance since 2006.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Just relax. Any team missing a generational talent and its number one dman will go on a slide.

I hope Chia is patient and makes the correct move for a true top pairing dman to put the Oilers over the top. We don't get many shots at it

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Sorry i can't take it anymore... I need the Oilers to take a stand and say...what......this sucks....i can't take it anymore. we need to show a little heart before we lose. ( we lose...no loose as according to Stauffer for giving crap to the hilbilly who made a spelling mistake today on the radio... sorry Bob, not everyone has a UofA degree.)

Said it before, but PC said before the start of the season that it was an evaluation year to see what he had and will then take it from there. I guarantee the roster looks different next season. For now though as frustrating as it is, we are missing McDavid and Kleffy and we only just got Yak back. Sure I've always hated how non competitive this team is at times, but at this point I don't even care. I actually do trust PC will pull the trigger down the road because he isn't afraid to.

So let me say this. It isn't a question of "if", but "when". And when the moves start happening I hope some people aren't too surprised or shocked. :laugh::laugh:

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Took my gloves of this year as far as caring about management. First year we've had a competent GM and coach who commands respect, with legitimate business connections around league. If if they do say "enough is enough" there's not a whole lot that can be done for the time being.

I expect they will improve this team in short time. Outside of brainwashing other GMs to giftwrap us players there's not a whole lot to do with this set of players outside of slowly purge the awful ones. This team has problems that cannot be fixed in a 40-80 game span without a mountain of luck.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
I'm pretty sure every GM in the league knows the oilers D Situation, and have been bombarding chia with low ball offers. Making trades out of desperation and in a position of weakness rarely turn out well.
Look, I know fans have endured an awfull decade and I'm also frustrated as hell but this is not the time to make a panic move. I trust chia to make the right deal at the right time. Good GM's don't make emotional decisions. I think he waits for the offseason to make that big move though.

Despite the lack of wins, we've actually played some pretty good hockey lately.
Klefbom and McDavid coming back into the lineup are gonna help huge!
We played close to .500 hockey without McDavid, but the klefbom injury hurt way more. Taking the best Defenceman off of an already weak D is hard to overcome.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I'm pretty sure every GM in the league knows the oilers D Situation, and have been bombarding chia with low ball offers. Making trades out of desperation and in a position of weakness rarely turn out well.
Look, I know fans have endured an awfull decade and I'm also frustrated as hell but this is not the time to make a panic move. I trust chia to make the right deal at the right time. Good GM's don't make emotional decisions. I think he waits for the offseason to make that big move though.

Despite the lack of wins, we've actually played some pretty good hockey lately.
Klefbom and McDavid coming back into the lineup are gonna help huge!
We played close to .500 hockey without McDavid, but the klefbom injury hurt way more. Taking the best Defenceman off of an already weak D is hard to overcome.

I agree in a sense, and like I posted earlier, as long as this team has balance to start next year, I'll deal with another joke of a season. (Improvements aside, we're still a bottom 2-3 team in the league, so we aren't leap-frogging anyone)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
OK, so what do we do?
Put Hopkins on the trade table and when we don't get an offer that we like we trade him for 1/3 of his value just so that we can say we did something?

I think it's pretty easy to see that players will be held accountable if they're constant failures as we've seen highly paid played like Nikitin and Fayne waived this year.

Not much else our coaches or managers can do to get through to the players and asking for a top four d-man with a bunch of years left on his contract is a pretty tall order at this time of the year.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
OK, so what do we do?
Put Hopkins on the trade table and when we don't get an offer that we like we trade him for 1/3 of his value just so that we can say we did something?

I think it's pretty easy to see that players will be held accountable if they're constant failures as we've seen highly paid played like Nikitin and Fayne waived this year.

Not much else our coaches or managers can do to get through to the players and asking for a top four d-man with a bunch of years left on his contract is a pretty tall order at this time of the year.

I don't have an answer, I just know that in 10 years, we haven't figured out what it takes to build an average team. That's scouting, that's drafting and development, that's balancing a 23 man roster, that's acknowledging what the trend is and trying to build that way, that's knowing your weaknesses, that's bringing in competent personal, on and off ice, that's trading from a position of strength so you don't have to trade from a position of weakness, that's having the eye to know which players should get the long term deals and which should be moved...

I don't have answers, but they haven't figured out what it takes yet, obviously. They're trending better this year, but we all know there is no promises. We could go 20-0 to end the year, miss the playoffs by a point and be garbage again next year. We could trade for Hamonic and sign Byfuglien and still be terrible. McDavid could get 120 points next year, while Draisatl and Hopkins fall of the face of the earth and combine for 50 points. We could bring in Shea Weber, he could have a Norris winning season while Klefbom forgets how to play hockey and Nurse asks for a trade.

I don't know what's wrong here, but even if we have the talent, there still isn't the hunger and the will needed to even be average. How people can sit here and still be optimistic while we watch our stars take turns taking two week holidays from effort is beyond me.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I can't un-love this team, that's the nature of sports, but this team needs to fix itself in time for game 1 next year. That means doing whatever it takes to to bring a balance of skill, a balance of leadership and a balance of experience. If that means Hopkins, Eberle, Yakupov and our 1st move on in exchange for a top defenseman and some depth forwards with dimension, then so be it. This team hasn't had balance since 2006.

Be careful what you wish for. The team could get worst if they make poorly thought out trades (Reinhart). Let's get rid og Lowe, MacT and Howson for starters just to make the fans feel the old boys club is finally destroyed.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Be careful what you wish for. The team could get worst if they make poorly thought out trades (Reinhart). Let's get rid og Lowe, MacT and Howson for starters just to make the fans feel the old boys club is finally destroyed.

It needs balance. The last time we had a balanced team, we went to the Cup Finals. After 9 years of this, we have 2, maybe 3 NHL defenseman in our entire organization. Think about that for a second. For 9 years, they've been looking to collect 6 competent defenseman, I'm not saying 6 Prongers, I'm saying 6 average NHL defenseman... After 9 years, they have 3, at most.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
This summer Chia will make his moves. I'd say Eberle, Schultz, Purcell are definitely gone possibly RNH. He will add 2 top 4 defenseman and a couple of forwards who are two way players/tough to play against.

My personal conspiracy theory is that The NHL, Katz and Rogers want the team to go from Laughingstock to Legitimate in one season. That combined with the new face of the league in McDavid and the new state of the art arena just comes together to create a storyline that will no doubt have band wagoners flocking. It's an easy sell to casual and new fans alike, people just want to rout for a team that goes from really bad to really good seemingly overnight (See GS Warriors/Curry right now in the NBA) , especially with an electric talent like McDavid in the lineup, there is a lot of money to be made here they can't have it fail. On the flip side they will create an evil villain team for dedicated hockey fans who already hate the Oilers because of their lottery luck and building through ineptitude, those people will passionately hate the Oilers but they will pay attention and pay to see them.

My guess is that next season we will see an upgraded roster, a much improved on ice product, and all the crap that seems to go against us will all of a sudden start going the Oilers way and they will shoot up the standings.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
This summer Chia will make his moves. I'd say Eberle, Schultz, Purcell are definitely gone possibly RNH. He will add 2 top 4 defenseman and a couple of forwards who are two way players/tough to play against.

My personal conspiracy theory is that The NHL, Katz and Rogers want the team to go from Laughingstock to Legitimate in one season. That combined with the new face of the league in McDavid and the new state of the art arena just comes together to create a storyline that will no doubt have band wagoners flocking. It's an easy sell to casual and new fans alike, people just want to rout for a team that goes from really bad to really good seemingly overnight (See GS Warriors/Curry right now in the NBA) , especially with an electric talent like McDavid in the lineup, there is a lot of money to be made here they can't have it fail. On the flip side they will create an evil villain team for dedicated hockey fans who already hate the Oilers because of their lottery luck and building through ineptitude, those people will passionately hate the Oilers but they will pay attention and pay to see them.

My guess is that next season we will see an upgraded roster, a much improved on ice product, and all the crap that seems to go against us will all of a sudden start going the Oilers way and they will shoot up the standings.

Or they could be worst or stagnant.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I think I was one of the more optimistic people on here, and I'm trying to be as fair to Chiarelli as possible because he inherited some bad contracts, but I think my patience is just about through. Worst defensive group in the league and Chiarelli doesn't do much to address it (1 NHL dman added). Did he really need to waste what looks to be an entire season to evaluate that he took over a majorly flawed core?

A full decade of being a laughingstock. Wonderful.

I think in all honesty Chiarelli coming had/has a vision but he was hampered by injuries to Eberle early in the season then Mcdavid.

Plus the worse thing is always being in a position where your known to be looking for a certain player. Unless you have a buddy buddy relationship like Calgary had with Boston for Hamilton, teams just aren't going to give you something without getting something and that gets to the second point. If your always undermanned or can't a good stretch of identifying a full lineup to do a 1-1 swap (ex. Johansen for Jones) then your adding to a trade or downgrading the trade to acquire a d-man that's not going to impact your team at all anyways.

The trade most fans want is an OEL/Pietrelangelo (Byfuglien - not as elite as the first 2) and its going to look something like RNH+2016 1st rounder, or Eberle+prospects+1st rounder.

Fans have been hyped up to think that they can throw the best package at a team and infact they can't - there is comparable's or teams at the deadline who will throw there team into full rebuild and give a very valuable player.

Bottom line - if Oilers want a significant trade there going to have to swing for the fences and risk a young player who may be good or make little trades and make marginal improvement, or wait and see. The biggest conundrum is I think the offers for an RNH, Eberle even Yakupov are probably so lateral or backwards that the Oiler's contingent are saying forget about it. It's one of the fundamentals in any value based business overtime things depreciate.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'm still a fan of this team, but I've emotionally detached myself from them. I hope they win, but I'm not losing any sleep if they continue to lose. It's not worth it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty sure McLellan and PC have had enough there is just so much you can do at times. TM has being calling the team out quite a bit in public too.

I'd be shocked if they haven't come up with a blueprint to what they want and then one that they think is obtainable. I just don't think it gets put together until a later date.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad