How I'd fix this team..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Trust me I'm no Holland or Babcock fan boy. I believe Holland is better of the two but he still does make panic moves that belay what he says so sometimes he is confusing with his actions. But to get very good to top tier talent for young players that have upside they do have to prove they have somewhat consistent existing value. Given that one year can be hot or cold the assessment I made on Tatar isn't without merit. If he has a Nyquist type hot year and plays 80+ games 31-35 goals isn't out of his realm. You surely wouldn't expect it year in year out and this year he was on pace for around 25 if he got all 82 games to play. So realistically you can say without the outlier hot or cold year he seems to be in the 21-29 potential. If he does this over the course of the next 1-2 years where he has 2 consistent 20+ years including his rookie year which he was on pace for 23-26 he is a established 20 goal scorer that if given a second rfa deal to like 1 year left on his elc for around 2- 2.5 million would maximize a return for him in my eyes.

Smith I might be to hopeful on but if he gets consistent pp time I have no reason at all to doubt he is at least a 30-35 point scorer. So if we wait for 1-2 years on both players we maximize our returns. Ditto for him on a second rfa deal but since he is a defender he could more than likely be in the 2.5-3.5 per year range.

To move both now before they have established consistency in point totals rushes needing to potentially move prospects up to the big leagues too soon in addition to limiting our value of return on both. Sproul could be fine moving up into a sheltared third pairing + pp time role but would more than likely gain more from being a #1 or 2 d in the ahl another year playing 25+ minutes a game instead of 12-18 on our third pairing.

ok

so your pov is to let the kids get good nhl icetime to potentially increase return value to make a bigger splash someday? thats all well and good so long as we're not trading picks to anyone for anything or signing washed up free agents who have been thrown into the trash bin(to avoid giving the good ice tiem to the wrong players)

i could get behind a full on rebuild with tons of prospects in the lineup to see who shakes out of the tree.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@GinoRedaTSN
"the estimates were in the low 70 million dollars range"- Bettman on what he believes the Cap will be for the upcoming season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@NicholsOnHockey
League sources tell @SunGarrioch talks between #Sens, Hemsky's camp have broken off. Barring change of heart, expected to test UFA market.

I would definitely take Hemsky.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
@NicholsOnHockey
League sources tell @SunGarrioch talks between #Sens, Hemsky's camp have broken off. Barring change of heart, expected to test UFA market.

I would definitely take Hemsky.

I thought Hemsky was a lock to join the Wings when he was reported on the trade market in Edmonton for a few years.

Of the realistic free agent targets, you could do a lot worse than Hemsky, that's for sure. He's right handed, actually plays the right side, and is a talented passer.

Any word out on Alfredsson yet? That will probably influence what the Wings do with their top 6.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I would rather stay away from hemsky. Another soft perimeter winger is something we dont need. I would rather hitch my wagon on Moulson

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Any word out on Alfredsson yet? That will probably influence what the Wings do with their top 6.

According to that beat writer for the Detroit News:

@tkulfan
#redwings Mikael Samuelsson definitely headed back to Sweden. As for Alfredsson, Holland hasn't talked to him and doesn't expect a decision until later this month. Talks with Babcock will be on going process.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would rather stay away from hemsky. Another soft perimeter winger is something we dont need. I would rather hitch my wagon on Moulson

The reason Hemsky is hurt a lot is because he doesn't fit this description. I get people being wary of him, but if he doesn't require big term or money you can do a ton worse. He checks a lot of our current needs, sure his health history is troubling. But Ales Hemsky is not soft and he doesn't just sit out on the perimeter, saying that points to not having watched him enough. He is also pretty streaky though in terms of he gets too pass happy for his own good.

High risk and high reward kind of signing though. Has some filthy mittens still.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The reason Hemsky is hurt a lot is because he doesn't fit this description. I get people being wary of him, but if he doesn't require big term or money you can do a ton worse. He checks a lot of our current needs, sure his health history is troubling. But Ales Hemsky is not soft and he doesn't just sit out on the perimeter, saying that points to not having watched him enough. He is also pretty streaky though in terms of he gets too pass happy for his own good.

High risk and high reward kind of signing though. Has some filthy mittens still.

only reason i would be vary of signing him.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Holland said 11-12 of the forward spots are already accounted for on the current roster -- not leaving much room for any more movement -- as well as six of the seven defensemen expected to be on the roster.

"We'll let the rest of the month of June play out," Holland said.
Sighhh. Sounds like not much is going to be done this off-season. They're gonna try to sign a defenseman, and that's about it. Probably not moving Kindl or Lashoff.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sighhh. Sounds like not much is going to be done this off-season. They're gonna try to sign a defenseman, and that's about it. Probably not moving Kindl or Lashoff.

I don't doubt you or anything.

But can you link where you got that from? I'd like to read.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Greeeeeeat.

I hope he's got something more up his sleeve than he's letting on.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Thanks, some good stuff in there.

"We like our kids -- we have good young players who'll play in the NHL for 10 to 15 years," Holland said. "I don't want to get into trades where we're sending two or three of those kids for a 32-year-old player
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...-David-Legwand-Kyle-Quincey-not-likely-return

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Alfie hangs him up, really think Hemsky would be an ideal RH replacement. Really hope Holland would consider it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So a no on Ehrhoff, I mean that seems like it is directly aimed at Ehrhoff.

By the way that increase from just play and contribute to 10 - 15 years says the quality of the player. I know some won't care but that is a distinction that you don't hear him use often and speaks to his confidence in several of these youngsters.

And sounds like no swing at Kesler as well, if that dude is even really on the table. No clue what Vancouver is doing.

We're both going to be disappointed, I think. Hemsky and Dan Boyle, come on down, you're all that's left! Salo I guess... ehhhhhh.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I hope those 6/7 defenseman don't include Kindl.

This team needs to not have the gruesome twosome on the ice next year (Kindl + Lash)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
And sounds like no swing at Kesler as well, if that dude is even really on the table. No clue what Vancouver is doing.

We're both going to be disappointed, I think. Hemsky and Dan Boyle, come on down, you're all that's left! Salo I guess... ehhhhhh.

Me three. On the one hand it's nice if he has that much confidence in the kids, on the other some of these guys (Kindl, Lashoff) just need to go.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Me three. On the one hand it's nice if he has that much confidence in the kids, on the other some of these guys (Kindl, Lashoff) just need to go.

I think the kids make the team competitive, but not a contender. Not yet anyway. We have the potential to ice one of the deeper teams in the league, though, with all the cheap contracts they'll have.

Deep doesn't always translate into results, but there are worse ways to go.

They're going to have to start shedding slower players, too. More emphasis on speed if you're not going to hold the skill advantage.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think the kids make the team competitive, but not a contender. Not yet anyway. We have the potential to ice one of the deeper teams in the league, though, with all the cheap contracts they'll have.

They're going to have to start shedding slower players, too. More emphasis on speed if you're not going to hold the skill advantage.

F group would be deep when they are all healthy. D would be not.

and when guys start dropping with injuries, they aren't deep anymore.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Andersson and Lashoff stick out like sore thumbs for me when talking about speed. I'd add Miller in, too, but I also just don't get the love for the guy. seems dependable at a few things, but not to the point where I'd look at it and not believe we couldn't get similar defensive/pk work out of Sheahan, Glendening, etc.

Agree about us not being contenders this season if we decide to just lean on the kids. Good players, a lot of potential, but as we saw against Boston they have a lot of room to grow still. Hopefully they take a bunch of those steps this season, but I'd feel a lot better about it if we brought in some A level talent to bulk up with.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

This team needs either a superstar center or a right-handed top 3 defenseman. If those can't be addressed in free agency, then you have to make trades, and Detroit isn't trading key prospects. I think Dan Boyle is the only legit signing this team could make.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
If we get Byfuglien for Tatar, Smith and a 2nd I think we are a threat.

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Mantha
Nyquist- Weiss- Franzen
Jurco- Sheahan- Abdelkader
Callahan- Helm- Glendening
Miller- Ferraro

Kronwall- Byfuglien
DeKeyser- Marchenko
Ouellet- Kindl
Lashoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad