How I'd fix this team..

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueadams

May 30, 2011
There should be about 10M in cap space, after signing RFA's. If I'm sitting in Holland's chair this summer..
-I've looked at the FA market, and I don't like what I see, at least not in terms of long-term additions. I'd hate to see us, again, make a big commitment to the best of a bad bunch (Weiss). It'd be nice if we could orchestrate a big trade for a top-six scorer, or a top-four defenseman, and perhaps we'll be able to, but I'm not expecting to see it happen. So, with all that being said, I think I'd..
#1) Sign Jaromir Jagr. He might not like the idea of playing for Babcock. But he's a mercenary. He'll sign here if we make him the highest offer, and we should. If he's hesitant, I think he'd love the idea of playing with Pav and Hank.
#2) Sign Dan Boyle. He's no longer a top-six defender, but he's smart, he's solid, and he can still run the PP from the right-side.
#3) I'd put some of these kids I love into prominent roles: Mantha, Sproul, Oullet and Mrazek.
#4) No longer having room for them, I'd do what I could to move Andersson, Kindl and Lashoff (and, of course, Tootoo).

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Jagr
Tatar-Zetterberg-Mantha
Franzen-Weiss-Sheahan
Abdelkader-Helm-Jurco
Miller, Glendening...Andersson

Kronwall-DeKeyser
Ericsson-Sproul
Oullet-Boyle
Smith...Kindl, Lashoff

Howard
Mrazek

x-Tootoo

PP: Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jagr, Kronwall-Boyle

..thoughts?

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
There should be about 10M in cap space, after signing RFA's. If I'm sitting in Holland's chair this summer..
-I've looked at the FA market, and I don't like what I see, at least not in terms of long-term additions. I'd hate to see us, again, make a big commitment to the best of a bad bunch (Weiss). It'd be nice if we could orchestrate a big trade for a top-six scorer, or a top-four defenseman, and perhaps we'll be able to, but I'm not expecting to see it happen. So, with all that being said, I think I'd..
#1) Sign Jaromir Jagr. He might not like the idea of playing for Babcock. But he's a mercenary. He'll sign here if we make him the highest offer, and we should. If he's hesitant, I think he'd love the idea of playing with Pav and Hank.
#2) Sign Dan Boyle. He's no longer a top-six defender, but he's smart, he's solid, and he can still run the PP from the right-side.
#3) I'd put some of these kids I love into prominent roles: Mantha, Sproul, Oullet and Mrazek.
#4) No longer having room for them, I'd do what I could to move Andersson, Kindl and Lashoff (and, of course, Tootoo).

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Jagr
Tatar-Zetterberg-Mantha
Franzen-Weiss-Sheahan
Abdelkader-Helm-Jurco
Miller, Glendening...Andersson

Kronwall-DeKeyser
Ericsson-Sproul
Oullet-Boyle
Smith...Kindl, Lashoff

Howard
Mrazek

x-Tootoo

PP: Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jagr, Kronwall-Boyle

..thoughts?
I dont believe in Howard anymore.
I like the d core.
Would rather get someone other than Jagr.
People are starting to hate Oshie maybe we could get him.

blueadams

May 30, 2011
I dont believe in Howard anymore.
I like the d core.
Would rather get someone other than Jagr.
People are starting to hate Oshie maybe we could get him.

Well. I guess we're probably going to have to wait and see with Howard. It wouldn't be easy to move him. Or to acquire a sure-thing upgrade. On the bright side.., I really do love Mrazek.

The problem with big trades like Oshie is who do you give up? Mantha and/or Sproul? I sure as hell don't want to lose either. Nyquist? Never. Tatar? Probably not enough. The best play this off-season, from my brief look, is veteran FA's like Jagr and Boyle on short term commitments. Wait for the really valuable FA's to come along in later off-seasons.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't think it's wise to keep Smith as the #7. He's got to be in the top6. He made good strides this year and looked good during the 5 games against Boston. Keep that up.

Also, who knows about Mantha. When was the last time someone made it out of camp without a game in the AHL?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not a fan, its time to grow the team organically through the draft. There is not going to be another cup run while Daytsuk and Zetterberg are playing so I think the strategy of filling the top 6 with 34-42 year olds needs to come to an end. Teams that go far build a core through the draft and the wings downfall is 2 pronged the vets get the wings up the standings where they don't go deep in the playoffs but end up with a crummy pick. The wings usually draft in the part of the draft where all the skilled 'but small' players are left. The other side of the coin is the vets crowd out the prospects from getting icetime and developing at the NHL level. Look at teams like Pitts, LA, Chicago, Colorado, even a team like Columbus where a core of highly scouted and drafted kids. Landing Lidstrom, Zetts, Dayts where outstanding but in this day and age of world scouting its less and less likely to happen again. Bottom line if the wings continue to try and sign vets to get in the playoffs, especially by trading high draft picks for them, the young core of this team is going to be average to above average considering the wings know how to draft skill, but not always skill with size and grit which is found higher in the draft then the wings are usually picking.

You just have to be careful not to be like the oilers or atlanta/winnipeg where you rely too much on young talent without any mentoring or proper defense or goaltending. Loosing can easily seep into the culture with too much youth.

Just my 2 cents. I don't really see it happening though, Illiches want playoff revenu and I doubt babcock and holland want to go through a true rebuild. I would love to see it though.

blueadams

May 30, 2011
I don't think it's wise to keep Smith as the #7. He's got to be in the top6. He made good strides this year and looked good during the 5 games against Boston. Keep that up.

Also, who knows about Mantha. When was the last time someone made it out of camp without a game in the AHL?

Well. I think very, very highly of Sproul and Oullet. I'd put all three on the big roster and let them battle out. Good for whoever the best two end up being. I'm sure the third will net plenty of ice time regardless.

When's the last time we had someone like Mantha!? He scored 20 more points in 5 less games than Sidney Crosby did in the same league this season. Plus he's enormous.

blueadams

May 30, 2011
Not a fan, its time to grow the team organically through the draft. There is not going to be another cup run while Daytsuk and Zetterberg are playing so I think the strategy of filling the top 6 with 34-42 year olds needs to come to an end. Teams that go far build a core through the draft and the wings downfall is 2 pronged the vets get the wings up the standings where they don't go deep in the playoffs but end up with a crummy pick. The wings usually draft in the part of the draft where all the skilled 'but small' players are left. The other side of the coin is the vets crowd out the prospects from getting icetime and developing at the NHL level. Look at teams like Pitts, LA, Chicago, Colorado, even a team like Columbus where a core of highly scouted and drafted kids. Landing Lidstrom, Zetts, Dayts where outstanding but in this day and age of world scouting its less and less likely to happen again. Bottom line if the wings continue to try and sign vets to get in the playoffs, especially by trading high draft picks for them, the young core of this team is going to be average to above average considering the wings know how to draft skill, but not always skill with size and grit which is found higher in the draft then the wings are usually picking.

You just have to be careful not to be like the oilers or atlanta/winnipeg where you rely too much on young talent without any mentoring or proper defense or goaltending. Loosing can easily seep into the culture with too much youth.

Just my 2 cents. I don't really see it happening though, Illiches want playoff revenu and I doubt babcock and holland want to go through a true rebuild. I would love to see it though.

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Jagr
Tatar-Zetterberg-Mantha
Franzen-Weiss-Sheahan
Abdelkader-Helm-Jurco
Miller, Glendening

Kronwall-DeKeyser
Ericsson-Sproul
Oullet-Boyle
Smith

Howard
Mrazek

Did I leave a talented young prospect (with real, high-end NHL potential...and who's reasonably prepared for the NHL) off that squad at the expense of Jagr or Boyle??

Pulkinnen, Athanasiou, Marchenko/Almquist perhaps. But I have no problem dressing them over Miller, Glendening or Smith if that's the case.

On top of all that. The team I penciled above, I think that's a team with a legit chance to win a SC. And not trying to do that with Pav and Hank on the roster, it'd be downright shameful.

we like our team*

haven't seen a blueadams line thread in a long time

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Would love to see Jagr suit up for us.

Also I've been really intrigued by Malykhin lately. Would love to see if he's willing to come over and spend some time in the AHL. Could really help our organizational depth at center and justify using our mid-1st on another position.

For once I'm actually glad Holland is the conservative type -- hopefully nothing drastic occurs. Would like to sit on our young talent and draft picks and avoid any long term deals. Maybe a one year veteran stopgap on D, but I really hope we avoid another logjam with young guys being unable to play their way onto the roster.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

Agreed. He's got talent, athletic ability, and an edge to his game. He deserves a top-four role.

That would be Zetterberg, 12 years ago. With regards to Mantha, many people here have a marked tendency toward pre-hatch chicken counting. It would take a truly massive training camp performance for Mantha to make the team immediately.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I have negative interest in signing Jaromir Jagr. I think he'd look terrible in Babcock's system, kind of like Alfredsson did for much of this year. He'd be saddled with two grinders and he'd have a hard time getting anything done.

I'd rather get Moulson. He's not the fastest, but he plays Babcock hockey in front of the net.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I'm over old guys sorry!! We need younger, bigger, faster, skilled wingers and a true number one two defense pairing!!!

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Nyquist-Datsyuk-Jagr
Tatar-Zetterberg-Mantha
Franzen-Weiss-Sheahan
Abdelkader-Helm-Jurco
Miller, Glendening

Kronwall-DeKeyser
Ericsson-Sproul
Oullet-Boyle
Smith

Howard
Mrazek

Did I leave a talented young prospect (with real, high-end NHL potential...and who's reasonably prepared for the NHL) off that squad at the expense of Jagr or Boyle??

Pulkinnen, Athanasiou, Marchenko/Almquist perhaps. But I have no problem dressing them over Miller, Glendening or Smith if that's the case.

On top of all that. The team I penciled above, I think that's a team with a legit chance to win a SC. And not trying to do that with Pav and Hank on the roster, it'd be downright shameful.

Not saying you don't have the wings most talented young group. I am saying that where the wings have been drafting you get project players that are usually small skilled forwards that can score in juniors or overseas. The wings are good at development so they create a legit top 6 guy every once in a while but if they don't bulk up on strength like Z then they are going to struggle. Mantha is the first high octain prospect the wings have had in years as its a rarity they keep their first rounder. Usually pissed away on some plug. Even then its kinda a fluke mantha fell to us, wings are lucky he didn't break out before the draft so he fell in the lap. This is what the team needs more of players with the full package, size, speed and skill with a pedigree of scoring. You are not going to pull diamonds in the rough at a rate to stack this team for a SC. The draft/cap system works a certain way and the wings skirting around it has finally taken its toll.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Not saying you don't have the wings most talented young group. I am saying that where the wings have been drafting you get project players that are usually small skilled forwards that can score in juniors or overseas. The wings are good at development so they create a legit top 6 guy every once in a while but if they don't bulk up on strength like Z then they are going to struggle. Mantha is the first high octain prospect the wings have had in years as its a rarity they keep their first rounder. Usually pissed away on some plug. Even then its kinda a fluke mantha fell to us, wings are lucky he didn't break out before the draft so he fell in the lap. This is what the team needs more of players with the full package, size, speed and skill with a pedigree of scoring. You are not going to pull diamonds in the rough at a rate to stack this team for a SC. The draft/cap system works a certain way and the wings skirting around it has finally taken its toll.
:huh:

How many of their own high first round picks were on the Bruins team that just dominated the Wings?

I count one... Dougie Hamilton.

The Bruins have managed to become a force via good drafting in the second round and later, trades, and UFA signings.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

How many of their own high first round picks were on the Bruins team that just dominated the Wings?

The Bruins have managed to become a force via good drafting in the second round and later, trades, and UFA signings.

you're mostly right but not counting Smith and Eriksson is just silly considering they got them by trading Seguin

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

They used a high pick (Kessel) to get two more high picks, then traded one for Eriksson, and used the other to draft Dougie.

So they don't have a lot of high picks on their team, but they used high picks to assemble the team they have in an indirect way.

Also did well with 2nd+ picks and beyond.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Mantha will not make the team next year, we have too much forward depth. He may get a few games here and there based on injuries, but let him play for GR all year, learn to play against pros, and then bring him up for 2015/2016. I expect him to be a dominant player in the AHL right away, assuming he gets first line and PP minutes, which he will.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seems like we're talking about the same exact thing, more or less, in these 4 most bumped threads. Pretty hard to follow.

Maybe an off-season sticky thread?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Riley Sheahan ($1.800m) / Tomas Tatar ($1.800m)
Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / David Legwand ($3.500m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.000m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Landon Ferraro ($0.605m) / Luke Glendening ($0.628m) / Mitchell Callahan ($0.605m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Brian Campbell ($5.000m—30.00%) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Danny DeKeyser ($3.000m) / Matt Greene ($3.000m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Adam Almquist ($0.725m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Tom McCollum ($0.900m)

CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $594,609

Andersson & Kindl -> FLA
Campbell -> DET

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Goaltending

First and foremost we have to address our goaltending. What do we do there?
Howard. He is the starter, but he struggled a lot. Had Howard had his usual season, we would have finished 5-15 points higher. He had bad playoffs too. What happens with his game next season?
Gustavsson had a great season. He helped the team makes playoffs. Regardless what some say, he was the best backup goalie in the league. But he could not stay healthy and when given a chance he did not run away with it. He is aggressive and overcommits. None of the goals in game 5 were his fault, but his reaction was not the best one. Goal 1, not his fault, broken play, but he overcommits. I don't blame him. Goal 2, a perfect shot, but some goalie stop it. I do not blame him. But goal 3 is very stoppable. Lucic is in too tight to Gustavsson and if Gustavsson goes down he stops it. The exactly same save Rask made on Alfredsson earlier in the game. I guess the brass wanted a look at him, but I do not think he convinced them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad