How Hard Is It To Meet Mario Lemieux In Pittsburgh

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
My great uncle lives on a huge farm property in Sewickley, near where Mario lives. He used to work on the side as a groundskeeper/landscaper for Mario's house, according to my parents. I rarely see him and have never had a chance to talk to him about it...and that's the closest I've ever come to meeting Lemieux :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Some of my favorite moments were meeting Mario. I worked in Sewickley and got a chance to see him at Quiznos when nobody was in there. Thanked him for keeping the team in the Burgh and he asekd questions about my life in hockey and everything. The guy is so awesome to talk to. He doesn't come off as a celebrity at all.

Met him so many times and every single time he comes off the same way - very approachable. But then again, I don't ask for autographs. I just want to thank him for everything he's done.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Some of my favorite moments were meeting Mario. I worked in Sewickley and got a chance to see him at Quiznos when nobody was in there. Thanked him for keeping the team in the Burgh and he asekd questions about my life in hockey and everything. The guy is so awesome to talk to. He doesn't come off as a celebrity at all.

Met him so many times and every single time he comes off the same way - very approachable. But then again, I don't ask for autographs. I just want to thank him for everything he's done.

Wow that's cool. Not creeping, but did you live in Sewickley? Knowing you played hockey growing up and we are about the same age, we likely played against each other if you went to Quaker Valley or Sewickley Academy.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
No I get that, it's better to keep the fantasy going than have reality ruin it.

But, I don't see it as maintaining some sort of delusion. I think people have a hard time separating a man, from his work. Maybe even myself included, I don't know because I haven't tested it. The whole reason I'm a Mario fan is because of what he did as a hockey player. It has absolutely nothing to do with who he is as a person, or how he treats people. Therefore, there's no desire to meet him, the person... and no point in risking my positive perception of him, the player, by doing so.

Know what I mean?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Never met Mario, my sister did. Many years ago she was on board/advisory committee for the Erie Otters. Mario, as others have said, is just a good human being in general.

Jagr on the other hand he was up there and he skated up to my sister and said "You know who I am, I'm a very good hockey player." she replied back with a straight face she didn't know who he was and skated off. He came off like a pompous ass, this was years and years ago when he was playing for the Pens after Mario was retired.

I have bumped into Tyler Kennedy and Pascal Dupuis on occasion. Each time I felt like it would be weird to approach them and didn't. I will say there is no way either is as tall as they are listed. Kennedy is listed as 5'11" I'm 5'10" and I tower over him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
My Dad owned a car shop in the city for 25 years. One day a Lexus with a flat tire pulls into the lot and Mario got out. Mario sat there and talked to my dad, all the guys, and everyone who was in the waiting room until Natalie came down to pick him up. He had somewhere to go, so Natalie drove him where he had to be, and they came and picked the car up later when it was done. My dad said he was probably one of the most down to earth people he had ever met, and Natalie was just as nice and gracious as he was.

My dad got him to write me a message and an autograph on the back of a work slip. Not entirely sure where it is these days.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wow that's cool. Not creeping, but did you live in Sewickley? Knowing you played hockey growing up and we are about the same age, we likely played against each other if you went to Quaker Valley or Sewickley Academy.

I did not. I just loved working there! :laugh:

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I had originally planned on going to Pittsburgh to attempt to meet Mario when they had the draft but it just never happened.

Once I heard that AJ Sports was bringing Mario to Toronto for the Sports Card Expo & that professional photo ops & a signing were set up for fans I booked a flight immediately.

I talked with fans that came to the show from Saskatchewan, New York ,Massachusetts, Michigan just to have the opportunity to meet Mario.

It could not have gone any better because Mario was awesome to fans & immediately shook hands with every one that approached him.
I came away with a great memory of meeting my favorite player. :handclap:

That's awesome. Planing a trip to Pittsburgh hopefully next year and that I have the same luck as you did. Would love it

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
My brother was in an elevator with him at CEC when he was a cook there & they exchanged hello's but they are pretty strict about staff interacting with them.

He's actually met a lot of players as a cook. Letang at Meat & Potatoes, Staal at a country club, Kovalev at a hotel. The only negative one he talks about is Kovalev who the servers said tipped like 2%.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
My brother was in an elevator with him at CEC when he was a cook there & they exchanged hello's but they are pretty strict about staff interacting with them.

He's actually met a lot of players as a cook. Letang at Meat & Potatoes, Staal at a country club, Kovalev at a hotel. The only negative one he talks about is Kovalev who the servers said tipped like 2%.

nfl-tipping-scandal-rests-on-one-huge-question-do-you-have-to-tip-on-takeout-orders.jpg

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
My friend said when the MLB All Star game was here, every Yankee tipped what their bill was.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
My cousin (who runs a daycare in Moon Township) babysits for a family when Mario's daughter can't. Mario's kids have to work for spending money. :) As a parent, I think that's impressive.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Maybe the service did a terrible job. Still, it would have to be very bad for me not to leave at least 15%. I try to leave at least 25% if the service is good. Especially if it's a place I've went to often. These are people serving you food, many of whom make below minimum wage (or some only tips), which means the food is priced lower than it could/should be anyway. Unless they've went clearly out of their way to be rude to you, tip them. And no, forgetting to check up on your table when it's busy isn't necessarily rude, or screwing up your order isn't necessarily rude, could just be a miscommunication with the chef.

It's nice to hear nothing but great things about Lemieux. Especially since he's a pretty private person, he handles fans exceptionally well.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I wonder if there's beer on the sun....

Can I drink you?

To add to others stories of 'meeting' other Pens I don't think I put this one on the board yet. I ran the Tough Mudder for 'Pittsburgh' which was in Ohio this summer, had my fiance drive home so I could relax some. Coming through Fox Chapel I look over and see one of those Harley Davidson Trucks. I'm no expert on cars but I know those things have to cost a good bit so I glance at the driver and it was Tyler Kennedy.

Despite all the anger he's caused me through the years, and probably because I eventually calm down and realize the outcome of the games don't really make my life better in the long run, I could only think to yell 'Good luck in San Jose!' He looked over smiled and kinda waved. I think his dad was in the truck with him, looked sort of stunned. Not sure if it was bc someone realized it was his son or bc I didn't swear at him.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Not Pens related but my girlfriend served Muccutchen last week. He was with his girlfriend of several years & her family who are from my hometown in central PA. It's a relatively small town.

Anyways he tipped around 20% & she was little mad but I told her if that was anyone else it would have been a good tip. You can't expect him to rain 100's for a lunch at Ruby Tuesday. I also saw that a girl I know when I worked at Penndot just got married to Brock Holt. For a small town we are pretty good at producing hot chicks.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
He's my boyhood idol... and I've never wanted to meet him. I've even passed on opportunities to meet him. I always thought it'd be best to just let him be the hockey player I loved and remembered... the guy on the ice.

I'm probably in the minority on this one, though.

perfectly put.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
If you end up bothering him make sure you tell him that you're not local. I don't want him to get the impression that Pittsburghers are slimy, celebrity-obsessed stalker types and he moves to Florida or something.

you'd think he already made up his mind about yinzers by now...

rsamerica

Jan 25, 2007
I've me mario a few times. But the first time was when I was around 9 or 10 years old. In the late 80's. My Dad is a car nut and we where at Ascots looking at Lotus's and Mario was there either buying or picking his Range Rover up from service. All I can remember was my Dad saying there's Mario Lemieux, I look at my dad and said he's not the big. I was to bashful to ask him for his autograph, but my Dad talked to him. Just a really nice guy.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
My friend said when the MLB All Star game was here, every Yankee tipped what their bill was.

It's not hard to understand why everyone hates them. They even tip arrogantly. :laugh:

****ing Yankees.

I hardly watch baseball anymore, but hey... New York... suck it:

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Maybe the service did a terrible job. Still, it would have to be very bad for me not to leave at least 15%. I try to leave at least 25% if the service is good. Especially if it's a place I've went to often. These are people serving you food, many of whom make below minimum wage (or some only tips), which means the food is priced lower than it could/should be anyway. Unless they've went clearly out of their way to be rude to you, tip them. And no, forgetting to check up on your table when it's busy isn't necessarily rude, or screwing up your order isn't necessarily rude, could just be a miscommunication with the chef.

It's nice to hear nothing but great things about Lemieux. Especially since he's a pretty private person, he handles fans exceptionally well.

My friend works at Cracker Barrel in Tennessee and they give free meals to members of the Grand Ol Opry (like they need it...yet don't offer a military discount). He said that one dude who is a country music icon around there named Marty Stuart would always come in wearing skin tight Levi's and demand his free meal and leave without even giving a tip at all.

But then, the late George Jones would come in, grab an armful of stuffed animals and sign them while he was waiting for his food. He refused to not pay for his bill and would leave a 50% or more tip. Just a contrast in class there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad