How Hard Is It To Meet Mario Lemieux In Pittsburgh

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am a big fan of the Pens & especially Mario Lemieux.
I Live in Winnipeg Manitoba & he very rarely ever came here when he played in the 90's.

How hard is it for hometown fans to find Mario Lemieux in Pittsburgh?

Has anyone in Pittsburgh met him at the arena before a game or the morning skate/practice.
Does your city put on any events where the fans get to interact with the players?

Thanks in advance.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
The locals will be able to tell you better than I can, but my understanding is that Lemieux is pretty private. I don't think he's a particularly accessible guy.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Other than catching him in the CEC or on the golf course by luck...I doubt you'd get the chance unless its part of some special event.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
He's my boyhood idol... and I've never wanted to meet him. I've even passed on opportunities to meet him. I always thought it'd be best to just let him be the hockey player I loved and remembered... the guy on the ice.

I'm probably in the minority on this one, though.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I worked in sewickley for two years and rsn into him one time. He's a very quiet guy and remains that way.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I've seen Mario countless times in Little Tokyo in Mt. Lebanon when I was on my lunch break. He used to always hang out at The Saloon as well.

He doesn't live in the area anymore, but he still hits up Little Tokyo a lot (my former co-workers there always make a point to tell me they saw him).

Used to see Kevin Stevens around that area a lot as well.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
He's my boyhood idol... and I've never wanted to meet him. I've even passed on opportunities to meet him. I always thought it'd be best to just let him be the hockey player I loved and remembered... the guy on the ice.

I was at the Sportsworks by the Science Center about a year ago and there about 7 people there including myself and two friends, and Craig Adams and his wife and kids. Literally no one else there but us and the employees but I still didn't wanna approach him and he's just Craig mother****ing Adams.

It's not intrusive to say hey good luck or something simple but I'm with you on that it just seems sorta strange to approach them for some reason. This was before 24/7 also so I was unaware how much a legend Craig's kid was at the time.

bwalter32

Mar 8, 2010
Apollo, PA
I used to work with the RMU hockey team and would see him every now and then at the Island Sports Center. He coached his son's team there.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I once posed as a landscaper and gained access to his compound, where I proceeded to lick EVERYTHING. Maybe you can try that.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Definitely something to be said for that.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I have a friend that lives in Sewickley and he saw Mario at a gas station once. That's about all I know besides me meeting him at a hockey camp I attended as a young lad.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
He can be seen at various spots around Sewickley. I bet most of the people who live there have probably spotted him once or twice.

Sty1877

Mar 21, 2010
Lived in Pittsburgh for 18 years, and most of my friends still live there. I have never heard of anyone just randomly seeing Lemieux.

I was wondering around Dick's at Robinson a couple years back. I noticed him, his wife, and his son shopping for hockey stuff. I walked around a little more then intentionally walked by them just so I could say "Hey Mario."

He said "Hey," smiled, and kind of raised his hand in the air. I kept walking by. He was shopping with his wife and kid, I figured anything more than a Hey Mario was being rude while he was trying to shop. I hope that's the norm for him around Pittsburgh. Though I wish I would have shaken his hand.

Wouldn't have washed it to this day. :sarcasm:

bwalter32

Mar 8, 2010
Apollo, PA
I was wondering around Dick's at Robinson a couple years back. I noticed him, his wife, and his son shopping for hockey stuff. I walked around a little more then intentionally walked by them just so I could say "Hey Mario."

He said "Hey," smiled, and kind of raised his hand in the air. I kept walking by. He was shopping with his wife and kid, I figured anything more than a Hey Mario was being rude while he was trying to shop. I hope that's the norm for him around Pittsburgh. Though I wish I would have shaken his hand.

You probably ran around into the next aisle and giggled like a school girl. That's what I would have done anyway.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I used to throw little notes of encouragement and bits of hockey advice over his fence into his yard.

zhenya71

Mar 2, 2011

Why would Lemieux have to buy hockey gear like that? I'm surprised he wouldn't have just gotten it for free from the manufacturer or through the team.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Could have met Jagr and a few others but privacy is one of the main attractions for the players that come through here. Some even make it a point to set up permanent residence here because of it and the other attractions such as Schools, Hospitals plus more.

I've only gone out of my way to do 2 greets. 1. being Kenny Wregget at Casey's on route 8 after a game. Got my ticket signed. 2. Took my son to see Talbot at the K-mart at Mcintyre Square in Ross township. My wife son and I got one thing signed by him all in my sons room. (1. Overview picture of him going to Fleury after the final second tick off the clock in game 7 signed. 2. Shirt jersey signed and 3. My son had his Rookie threads jersey card signed. Max was really impressed with it, I'll always remember that.

With having kids I'll have to probably do more, but I'll never go out of my way to bother them for myself.

I'd love to meet him (Mario) and just say thanks for everything. If it was ten/fifteen years ago I might have been tempted to get his rookie card signed.

Last edited:

TopShelfGoal

Jan 23, 2008
Sayre, PA
I've personally never met him but my one friend and my uncle have been in the presence of him once.

My uncle is a rich doctor so he's met several players of both the Penguins and the Steelers.

My friend stood next to him in a bath room. Side by side, urinal by urinal. While some big huge guy watched over them. (this is all what he said)

My aunt met Jaromir Jagr once, he tried hitting on her while she was waiting for my rich uncle to show up for dinner. His body guard apparently did not appreciate the way she scoffed Jagr, and I don't what led up to it, but she ended up slapping Jagr's body guard in the face. She also has met several Penguin players because they attend hosted events.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Over the years I have managed to meet almost the whole line up of the Pens from the 1990's up till the current team but Mario is very hard to track down.
The majority of your Penguins are very nice with the exception of Tom Barrasso.
Marc Andre Fleury who I consider to be much better goalie than Barrasso is absolutely awesome with fans.:highclap:

I had really thought that Mario was much more accessible to the public in Pittsburgh.

I assume that he only travels with the team if they are in the play offs.
I would even consider traveling to the NHL draft if he would be in attendance.

Sty1877

Mar 21, 2010
Why would Lemieux have to buy hockey gear like that? I'm surprised he wouldn't have just gotten it for free from the manufacturer or through the team.

Couldn't tell you, maybe his son wanted something specific, or maybe it was for someone else. *shrugs*

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
My fiance is a pharmacist and was working in Moon at one of the Walgreens (she was an intern at the time), and she arrived to work and the entire store was buzzing and that's because Mario was just in to pick up a prescription. She missed him by 10 minutes. She was sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad