How Hard Is It To Meet Mario Lemieux In Pittsburgh

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Why would Lemieux have to buy hockey gear like that? I'm surprised he wouldn't have just gotten it for free from the manufacturer or through the team.

Maybe it was the issue of having it right away instead of waiting 2-3 days for it, like his son could have broke a stick the night before and had a game in a few hours.

I don't know, just guessing.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
To be honest I think in Pittsburgh we give our athletes a great deal of respect when it comes to their private lives. A shout out is okay but to seek him out & start a conversation with him would be disrespectful in my opinion.

I met him during the MLX skate demo last August and talked with him a few minutes. Wasn't anything very private or detailed or something that would be confused as disrespectful. Told him that I drove up from VA for the weekend and the conversation took off from there.

nbonaddio

BELLOWS: THE BEST
Mar 28, 2007
Met Mario once when I was volunteering at his golf tournament. He was INCREDIBLY friendly, and made it a point to meet all of the volunteers and take pictures. He asked me if I played hockey - I'm 6'5" and a good two bills - and after I told him I was studying CS at CMU, he told me that I should help out with the Pens website, because no one at the league liked it. That doesn't sound all that funny, but man, the delivery on it was great.

Can't say enough great things about how friendly he was with everyone, even like, the lowest volunteers. Basically, I can confirm to you what everyone knows: Mario is perfect. As far as intentionally trying to meet him, I think I'd err on the side of caution; Mario is private and while I'm sure he's respectful to a fault, the more aggressive fans get with hounding him, the less likely it is for any of us to see him out and about.

I also randomly saw MAF (and Veronique) at the baggage claim at the airport. I hate to be that fan, so I just said hello en francais and he smiled, said hello back. If you think his smile is big and white on TV, wait until you see it in person.

Der Schweinehund

Jul 31, 2003
Kitchener, ON
I met Mario along with most of the rest of the Pens in February 2002 in Ottawa at the Chateau Laurier hotel. Was the last game before the 2002 Olympic break.

I ended up being surrounded by Pens in the restaurant as my (future) wife and I were eating breakfast. While I saw at the buffet line and sitting down eating, no way was I going to bug him.

The waitress gave us a tip-off that he was doing a CBC interview in a small, off-to-the-side bar in the hotel and could probably get him after that. Sure enough we walked over there and after the interview, I stood there in my Pens jersey, shaking like a blithering, nervous idiot...frozen solid. He actually then, walking out of the room with an attendant, actually saw me and excused himself from the attendant and walked over to me. I said something completely unrecognizable but fortunately my wife translated and I got a picture with him.

After that though, it was funny, as he proceeded to walk back through the hotel and sit right smack down in the middle of the main lobby in some lounge chairs with a couple other players. The lobby was busy and many people were walking in, jaws dropping and just looking at him. But no one invaded his privacy. Instead they all came over to that lone blithering idiot wearing a Pens jersey and asked me "Is that...?"

Anyhow to make a long story short, the part that amazed me was how down-to-earth he was, quiet and likely uncomfortable with the spotlight, but he knew his role and was able to be there for fans.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Just want you guys to know I talked to Mario's assistant yesterday and he will be rescheduling his usual visit to Primanti's on Jan 16.

Pensfan1975

Jul 13, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hey everyone

Been reading these posts on here forever, but just recently signed up.

I actually had the pleasure of having dinner with Mario back in 2000. He was playing in a golf tournament called Wayne Gretzky and Friends just outside of Halifax. One of our vendors was sponsoring Mario, so I got invited to the event. They had a private dinner one night and we were going to be sitting at the same table as Mario. There were 12 of us at each table. The guys I was with knew I was a big Penguins fan, so when Mario sat down, they told me my seat was the one next to him. Very cool. Got to talk to him the whole evening (he is very quiet) and he invited a couple of us to go with him while he signed some things after dinner.

Funny thing about that night. I asked him if he ever considered coming out of retirement. He said "you never know". 5 months later he played his first game after retirement. One of the guys I was with reminded me what Mario said after he came back.

I got shirt of the Penguins 2 cup victories signed (hangs in my living room). Very nice guy...but very quiet. Others at the event (Gretzky, Mike Weir, Tie Domi, John Davidson) were much more personable...but they weren't Mario.

The next day we were having breakfast at the golf course (we had VIP passes) and he came over to talk for a few minutes. His agent (Steve Bartlett?) gave us upgraded passes for the tournament.

Anyway...a surreal weekend for sure.

Clunker

Mar 4, 2007
I met him at the Carlton restaurant in the Mellon buliding as a kid. This was during his first retirement, i think shortly after he became the owner of the team. My dad bartended there and we stopped in before a game and the waitress brought him down to meet us after he was done with dinner. Probably one of the most memorable moments of my life.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Not arguing with the fact that Pittsburgh is easy on athletes, but how exactly did Lemieux (and especially) Crosby "choose" Pittsburgh?

How did Mario not choose?? Not to mention either one could have pulled a Heatley at any moment & got their way.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Hey everyone

Been reading these posts on here forever, but just recently signed up.

I actually had the pleasure of having dinner with Mario back in 2000. He was playing in a golf tournament called Wayne Gretzky and Friends just outside of Halifax. One of our vendors was sponsoring Mario, so I got invited to the event. They had a private dinner one night and we were going to be sitting at the same table as Mario. There were 12 of us at each table. The guys I was with knew I was a big Penguins fan, so when Mario sat down, they told me my seat was the one next to him. Very cool. Got to talk to him the whole evening (he is very quiet) and he invited a couple of us to go with him while he signed some things after dinner.

Funny thing about that night. I asked him if he ever considered coming out of retirement. He said "you never know". 5 months later he played his first game after retirement. One of the guys I was with reminded me what Mario said after he came back.

I got shirt of the Penguins 2 cup victories signed (hangs in my living room). Very nice guy...but very quiet. Others at the event (Gretzky, Mike Weir, Tie Domi, John Davidson) were much more personable...but they weren't Mario.

The next day we were having breakfast at the golf course (we had VIP passes) and he came over to talk for a few minutes. His agent (Steve Bartlett?) gave us upgraded passes for the tournament.

Anyway...a surreal weekend for sure.

Always great to hear stories like that. You're a lucky dude!

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I was finally able to meet my favorite NHL player Mario Lemieux in Toronto at the Toronto Sports Card Memorabilia Expo.

He was in an awesome mood & super fan friendly.
He posed for pictures & signed lots of great memorabilia for us fans.

Well worth the wait to finally meet #66. :vhappy:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's my boyhood idol... and I've never wanted to meet him. I've even passed on opportunities to meet him. I always thought it'd be best to just let him be the hockey player I loved and remembered... the guy on the ice.

I'm probably in the minority on this one, though.

No I get that, it's better to keep the fantasy going than have reality ruin it.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I was finally able to meet my favorite NHL player Mario Lemieux in Toronto at the Toronto Sports Card Memorabilia Expo.

Glad you could meet him. I've met the radio guys at Pittsburgh and that is it. :laugh:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

That's awesome. Planing a trip to Pittsburgh hopefully next year and that I have the same luck as you did. Would love it

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Delivered gym equipment to his old house when I was in my early 20's. He bought us pizza. Meet him a couple times around town, never said anything other than hello or good luck.

I got to skate with Ron Francis a couple times though at Southpoint. That was fun. Mario was there but it was his year off, '94 or '95?, him and Lucky Luc where chatting in French.

Nowadays Mario is the big CEO type, meaning you aren't going to see him unless he wants to be seen.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
He's my boyhood idol... and I've never wanted to meet him. I've even passed on opportunities to meet him. I always thought it'd be best to just let him be the hockey player I loved and remembered... the guy on the ice.

I'm probably in the minority on this one, though.

I feel the same way with all celebrities. I enjoy their work but have no desire to meet any of them.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I was actually just meaning to make this thread, what a concidence. Does anyone know where Mario stays on away games? Like, the chain of hotel? Does anyone happen to know his room number? I've always wanted to meet one of my heroes, and I figure it's not too hard to pick one of those locks

NTP 3

Aug 19, 2010
Over the summer I worked at a landscaping company and one of our contracts was Sidney Crosby's new house. I never saw him there but I always thought about stealing some of his weeds to try to sell them to some crazy fans.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Jacob has some experience in this area. He can tell you the best ways to sneak around any famous athlete's property and lick stuff. The first step is to never wear your happy clown outfit.

clown-1z8fobl.jpg

Draws too much attention.

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
I met him once in rl, was the damdest thing too, I was walking out of USX building just after he bought the team out of bankruptcy I went through revolving door to 10 or so reporters and thought WTF, I'm just taking a smoke break, didn't think this was 6 o clock news worthy, and he was right behind me in same revolving door, I kinda just stood by the reporters and watched him.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I met him once in rl, was the damdest thing too, I was walking out of USX building just after he bought the team out of bankruptcy I went through revolving door to 10 or so reporters and thought WTF, I'm just taking a smoke break, didn't think this was 6 o clock news worthy, and he was right behind me in same revolving door, I kinda just stood by the reporters and watched him.

....so at what point did you have breakfast at his place?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad