How does Pierre McGuire not work for an NHL club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
He's still a loud mouth. Apparently quite vocal that he'd be the new GM in PITT this year before Rutherford was hired.

Not smart.

He got the Pittsburgh job but turned it down when it was clear he was meant to transition short term to an inhouse option.

I swear the people with negative comments are just reading into his time with the Whalers and blocking off all other sources of information like being the runner up to the Wild and Canadiens jobs as well as the fact it is literally 20 years later. Why people would want to pretend that people don't change after 20 years is beyond me.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
also this is probably my favorite thing on the internet

That's pretty funny. Had to know "big stick" would get used a couple times. This clip, or the one of Marty Turco on the bench shaking his head tell you all you need to know about what players think of Pierre.

It's pretty tough to be a GM if no one respects you.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
also this is probably my favorite thing on the internet

I have watched this 3 times now and will probably watch it at least 3 more.

Isn't this the same guy who when facing a 2 on 0 breakaway said 'screw it' and purposely and emphatically dislodged his own net? If so he is not only a credit to hockey, but to all of humanity.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I swear the people with negative comments are just reading into his time with the Whalers and blocking off all other sources of information like being the runner up to the Wild and Canadiens jobs as well as the fact it is literally 20 years later. Why people would want to pretend that people don't change after 20 years is beyond me.

The problems in Hartford were two-fold; his personality, and his ability as a coach.

The McGuire described in Hartford is an amateurish, immature and ridiculously arrogant clown whose personality caused him to exit stage right with the animosity of everyone involved.

I have no doubt that this Pierre McGuire has changed, mellowed out as he grew older.

But...he was also an awful coach. It's not as if Hartford was winning games and suddenly everyone started tanking to get rid of the guy. Being good at your job will give you a lot of leeway in the personality department (see the professional bully that was Scotty Bowman), and Pierre McGuire was NOT good at his job. He combined perhaps the two worst qualities in being a Head Coach of a professional sports team into one awful package.

Spending the last 20 years on TV overrating prospects and ranting about his latest man-crush doesn't really seem like the kind of place to pick up coaching acumen, of which McGuirre started with negative of.

As for being a GM, yes, McGuirre is knowledgeable. So are the top 20% or so of posters on this website. If that were all it took, you would see people like McGuire getting promotions more often. There is a difference between being knowledgeable-having a well-thought out opinion, being able to defend said opinion and to dumb it down for a TV audience, and having the correct opinion. I'm sure McGuire could have convinced me why Dustin Tokarski was a future star goaltender in 2008, but that doesn't mean he was right-and if he had selected him then, he would be wrong.

As it is, right now McGuire would have to start as an assistant to someone if he wanted to get into a Head Coach or GM gig-and while I think he has lost much of his former arrogance, I can't see him leaving his NBC job to play second fiddle for someone, all in the hope of someday replacing them.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
People bringing up Hartford situation should also point out that the Whalers players quit on multiple coaches in early 90's and the locker room situation was very much a cancerous situation with or without Pierre

He gets far too much hate for how his disastrous coaching chance went 20+ years ago.

Guy knows and loves the game and it wouldn't be worst thing in world if he got a GM gig IMO. A chance at least to show if he can handle job

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
While that's not really true, it is fair to note that McGuire was thrown to the wolves. GM Brian Burke resigned to take a position with the NHL Exec. Office, leaving Holmgren to be both HC and GM. Unable to do both, and with a high expectation season going down the drain, Holmgren hired McGuire so he could be GM full time. Which failed spectacularly.

cujoflutie

For the same reason Mike Milbury, and Don Cherry aren't currently working for an NHL club.

Way different situations;

Milbury had way too long of a leash in Long island similar to Garth Snow now. Milbury made way too many stupid moves and that's why he wont get another GM job.

Cherry was a successful head coach. His issue was he fought with management and did what he wanted to. That being said his biases wouldn't be successful if the came 10-15 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad