How does Pierre McGuire not work for an NHL club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
I love Pierre, i wish he would get another shot in the NHL, i think he would be a great GM, wish him nothing but the best in the future, one of the most knowledgeable hockey people in the game.

met him in 2004, great guy, class act.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If i remember correctly he went after the gm position in Pittsburgh but wanted a 5 year contract and wouldn't accept a smaller contract, that's why the pens went with Rutherford

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Happened twenty years ago.

He's obviously gotten way better at dealing with people.

nhldiedinthe90s*

who farted lol
Sep 23, 2013
He could never coach bc of how much crap he takes as a weirdo, not because of what happened twenty years ago. If smug, embarrassing tirades erased a man from NHL head coaching contention, how did Torts retire with 15+ million in the bank?

It's the fact that interpersonaly he's known as a joke, a weirdo.

He'd probably be a good GM though. He admitted that he has tried to become one several times.

I'm sure he could get a job tomorrow as an assistant GM with a high probability of becoming a GM within the next 3-5 years, but that would require a hefty pay cut and longer hours.

Seven figures working as a TV analyst > assistant GM with the possibility of GM in X years.

Malreg

May 12, 2011
He has a VERY comfortable gig with NBCSN, where he is paid really well and gets to spend a lot of time with his family. Apparently an Assistant GM job would be a pay cut for him. Those two factors combined (time, money) are probably the reason why.

Owners seem reluctant to hire someone who has not been a part of an organization for 15 years. If he were to take a job as an Assistant GM he would probably be hired as a GM after 2-3 years. He interviewed for 6-7 teams over the last several years. Was the runner-up choice to be Canadiens GM, was almost hired to be Pittsburgh's GM but he wanted a longer contract and Pittsburgh only wanted a stop-gap sort of GM for two seasons. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

I'm not a huge fan of him on television, but try listening to him on the radio. He's much more calm and not over the top. He's on every afternoon on TSN radio in Montreal and several other places, and he definitely knows his stuff.

The article people keep talking about is from 20 years ago, and he was hired by Ottawa the same day he got fired in Hartford. He was also an assistant coach for the Pittsburgh Penguins when they won 2 cups.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Because in the grand scheme of things knowing a players hometown and name dropping their junior coach isn't all that important when it comes to running a front office.:sarcasm:

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Clearly this guy is far and away the most knowledgeable hockey analyst today. He consistently offer`s descriptive and decisive evaluation`s of what is happening in the game`s and around the NHL.

At the very least, I think he should be an NHL scout, but, more ideally, he should be a GM (I know several team`s could use an upgrade...).

So why does McGuire not have such a job? Does he have too charming of a personality to waste his talent`s as a boring old executive? Obviously this did not stop Brian Burke from taking a GM position.

I demand answer`s NOW!

Dude, way too many apostrophes..

MayonnaiseOreo

I Hate the Flyers
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
Clearly this guy is far and away the most knowledgeable hockey analyst today. He consistently offer`s descriptive and decisive evaluation`s of what is happening in the game`s and around the NHL.

At the very least, I think he should be an NHL scout, but, more ideally, he should be a GM (I know several team`s could use an upgrade...).

So why does McGuire not have such a job? Does he have too charming of a personality to waste his talent`s as a boring old executive? Obviously this did not stop Brian Burke from taking a GM position.

I demand answer`s NOW!

Why do you put apostrophes in all those plural words? In fact, those aren't even proper apostrophes. That font kills as well.

I think McGuire could work decently as a scout but he just doesn't seem like a GM type of person. Good analysts don't always translate to good GMs.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Check out what pat verbeek had to say about his former coach pierre maguire. "After McGuire was fired, captain Pat Verbeek called it the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers. He said that his teammates had no respect for McGuire and that McGuire was mocked by other teams. In 1995, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman ruled that McGuire would forfeit half of the remaining salary owed to him by the Whalers for providing confidential coaching evaluations that had been prepared while employed by Hartford to the Edmonton Oilers"
This.

He's mocked and not respected, by his past team and other teams and by hockey fans everywhere. Yeah, there are are some who think he is the Man, but then again, there are those who think Don Cherry is a normal, respectable human being.

Stay in the media Pierre, where we all like to see a circus performance!

Reactions: Nathaniel Lauharn

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
The hate Pierre gets is a joke. The guy is a class act.

Take a pay cut for more work? I think Pierre would do it in an instant. Its not about the money, the guy has hockey in his veins
I think he would do an absolutely fantastic job in a GM role. He would do things the RIGHT way and would build through the draft, and bring in the right players through free agency.

Edmonton should pray they get a guy like Pierre, i really think within 2 seasons he would make that team competative and make the city of Edmonton excited about the Oilers again.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Ya... Given that Pierre's projections for prospects usually seem to be more generous than even the typical poster at HFBoards building through the draft seems very likely.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
If he's going to be anything, he's going to be a GM. No one wants to be an NHL scout, not anyone, who is already accomplished and is known for something else. NHL scouts get paid nothing to travel all over the place and never see their families. It's not worth it.

He's too passionate and overemotional for it all as well. He's better off showing all of that as a broadcaster. It'll be interesting to see him manage a team though.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
The hate Pierre gets is a joke. The guy is a class act.

Take a pay cut for more work? I think Pierre would do it in an instant. Its not about the money, the guy has hockey in his veins
I think he would do an absolutely fantastic job in a GM role. He would do things the RIGHT way and would build through the draft, and bring in the right players through free agency.

Edmonton should pray they get a guy like Pierre, i really think within 2 seasons he would make that team competative and make the city of Edmonton excited about the Oilers again.

It's sports. Every person is a joke. It's the way of life. The majority of people in the world are followers or in case of sport, bandwagoners. One person says one thing, and another agrees. No one ever thinks for themselves and worst - goes with the crowd. That's basically what society has become.

Reminds me about the Bettman hate. Unfortunately 9/10 of people didn't know why they hated Bettman. Of course, he was single handedly the reason for the lockouts, right? Those 9/10 numbers become scary bad when it goes into the hundreds, thousands..etc

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
This will explain it for you...

I demand answer`s NOW!

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
does that mean we can't call Milbury a clown either?

btw, do you want fries with that?

Milbury is a clown for what he has done and says on a consistent basis.

Pierre is apparently a clown for overly passionate, something that people used to respect but he's weird and awkward. roast him because he's different.

supersize that please.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
does that mean we can't call Milbury a clown either?

btw, do you want fries with that?

The thing is, Milbury IS a clown, but he is deserving of the title.... Why do people hate on Pierre? because he had a hard time with the Whalers, what 20+ years ago? because hes passionate about the game of hockey? because his brain is a hockey encyclopedia?

the dude may be over the top sometimes, but he is fun to watch, he has fun, and loves what he does. every time i have ever listened to Pierre talk, i learn something new, and ive been watching this sport for 20 years.

to me, there is no reason to bash someone like Pierre. everyone always laughs because so many players are "robots" and have no personality, then we get Pierre who is gushing with personality and he gets blasted every time his name is mentioned.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
[MOD]

The thing is, Milbury IS a clown, why do people hate on Pierre? because he had a hard time with the Whalers, what 20+ years ago? because hes passionate about the game of hockey? because his brain is a hockey encyclopedia?

the dude may be over the top sometimes, but he is fun to watch, he has fun, and loves what he does. every time i have ever listened to Pierre talk, i learn something new, and ive been watching this sport for 20 years.

to me, there is no reason to bash someone like Pierre. everyone always laughs because so many players are "robots" and have no personality, then we get Pierre who is gushing with personality and he gets blasted every time his name is mentioned.

So Milbury is a clown because you say so, but McGuire isn't because you say so. Insightful.

Spewing useless and obscure facts about a player's junior career, for example, doesn't make him intelligent or knowledgeable about hockey. Anyone can look that stuff up and memorize it. I've heard radio interviews with him and he actually sounds normal, so I don't get why he has to act like an annoying weirdo while doing games.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Like i said, im not getting into it with you because there is no substance to your posts.

Milbury is a clown because of his history in the NHL, and the garbage that comes out of his mouth on tv, Pierre on the other hand knows his **** and it has nothing to do with "reading online and memorizing" get a grip..

Party Kane

Nov 7, 2013
Chicago
He probably should, one of the most knowledgable guys in hockey by far. People don't like his personality but his knowledge of the sport is something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad