How does Pierre McGuire not work for an NHL club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiminy Cricket

#TeamMeat
Mar 9, 2014
Clearly this guy is far and away the most knowledgeable hockey analyst today. He consistently offer`s descriptive and decisive evaluation`s of what is happening in the game`s and around the NHL.

At the very least, I think he should be an NHL scout, but, more ideally, he should be a GM (I know several team`s could use an upgrade...).

So why does McGuire not have such a job? Does he have too charming of a personality to waste his talent`s as a boring old executive? Obviously this did not stop Brian Burke from taking a GM position.

I demand answer`s NOW!

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
At the very least, I think he should be an NHL scout, but, more ideally, he should be a GM (I know several team`s could use an upgrade...)

He's interviewed for a couple GM spots recently. I'd have to think that the TV gig pays a lot better than your typical scout (and probably a better an easier job).

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
Check out what pat verbeek had to say about his former coach pierre maguire. "After McGuire was fired, captain Pat Verbeek called it the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers. He said that his teammates had no respect for McGuire and that McGuire was mocked by other teams. In 1995, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman ruled that McGuire would forfeit half of the remaining salary owed to him by the Whalers for providing confidential coaching evaluations that had been prepared while employed by Hartford to the Edmonton Oilers". -taken from wikipedia

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Because hes bad at almost everything, just because he knows what city players are born in doesnt mean he would be a good GM

If he were GM he would trade the farm for his crushes

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
Clearly this guy is far and away the most knowledgeable hockey analyst today. He consistently offer`s descriptive and decisive evaluation`s of what is happening in the game`s and around the NHL.

At the very least, I think he should be an NHL scout, but, more ideally, he should be a GM (I know several team`s could use an upgrade...).

So why does McGuire not have such a job? Does he have too charming of a personality to waste his talent`s as a boring old executive? Obviously this did not stop Brian Burke from taking a GM position.

I demand answer`s NOW!

Knowing useless facts and irrelevant stats about junior players doesn't make you a great coach or GM. He's just a blowhard that likes to hear himself speak.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
As what is to what? :sarcasm:

No one wants him is why. He had a few interviews in the past for GM positions but never got the job. He could probably be a scout, but I doubt he wants that.

Well to be fair, most GM's start as scouts, not as many start as TV Commentators. Although, Pierre was actually a scout for like one week.

Varlan

Nov 26, 2009
He sounds smart if you're not paying attention. Start actually listening to what he's saying, and you quickly realise he's not really that smart.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Knowing useless facts and irrelevant stats about junior players doesn't make you a great coach or GM. He's just a blowhard that likes to hear himself speak.

Good assets to have for a professional scout though. But don't let that stop you from telling us how you really feel.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Because couple of years in a business/management school might are more useful for a potential GM than 10 years in tv. GMs do a lot more than just observe players. I would think Pierre's knowledge isn't even that extraodinary compared to regular scouts. You just don't hear scouts often on tv.

ps. I bet about an year ago there was a similar thread.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
He has said that he has had offers to be an Ast GM, but wouldn't take it, I think it's from when Ray Shero was the Pens GM, he calls Shero his besfriend, I guess they go back to their days with Ottawa.

Seems like he got a huge deal from NBC so unless it's for a GM job he isn't gonna leave.

I believe he was runner up for the GM for the Wild a few years back, and same with Mtl.

I think Pierre knows his hockey, but just because he's on tv and radio and gets to speak so often ppl think he knows more than other guys.

I think what happens in the interview process is Owners see that other guys are just know knowledge then him, but we don't see it becuase they aren't always on radio and tv talking about it.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
He revealed on Montreal radio at beginning of NHL year, that he was finalist with Bergevin for Habs job - which was his dream job. when he didn't get it, he went back to NBC president and said he was done interviewing for GM positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->