How does Chris Lee still have a job?

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
It goes back generations

In 1959 senior NHL referee Red Storey QUIT after Clarence Campbell questioned his courage after an ugly game in Chicago which CBC has no record of.

Storey was in Boston to work Game 7 of Leafs/Bruins and literally announced his retirement in a Boston barroom after being made aware of comments Campbell had made to an Ottawa columnist.

View attachment 448936

HNIC tried to explain what had happened during the Boston/Toronto game

Interesting! First I've ever heard of this. Thanks for sharing, sir!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Islanders/Lightning fans be warned

upload_2021-6-23_13-37-9.png

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Islanders/Lightning fans be warned

View attachment 448985

How has Charron been this post season? I haven't minded his past games much. I feel like the NHL is fine with the status quo, I don't think if they made changes behind the scenes you would get many refs defecting like Storey. I just have trouble assigning the brunt of the blame to most refs, they suck obviously, but if the NHL actually cared they would do something about it, so in my mind horrific calls seems sanctioned.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Interesting! First I've ever heard of this. Thanks for sharing, sir!

Storey never worked again.

Published accounts of that game indicate near-riot conditions in Chicago. CBC did not archive the game but apparently, fans were throwing beer bottles at Storey ( some that were full )

Those were the years where the NHL seemed to favor the 2 1/2 Canadian franchises (Detroit games were shown on CBC Channel 9 in Windsor).

rs3.JPG

rs.JPG

rs1.JPG

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Was he the ref behind that dumb crosscheck on Kucherov ? Damn that looked rough.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
This is just unbelieveable honestly. It is RUINING my sport.
Im a Bruins fan, trust me, I have no love for the 2 teams that have take my team out in the past 2 playoffs, or Montreal, and im sitting here getting massively triggered watching this asshole messing with my passion. Get him out the league, how the hell is he still reffing the semi finals?!

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
It’s crazy that all NHL fans are united in their outrage towards Chris Lee. It’s unreal and with only one game per night now, there is no where to hide. Lee is getting exposed and everyone is seeing it

Reactions: mattyboy

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
It's amazing how every single game this guy officiates there's questionable calls and non-calls.

I think the NHL is just trolling the fans at this point. The worse Chris Lee is, the more he's assigned to referee games.
bingo ! lee's under orders from the washed up ruling class of this kingdoms throne to do ridiculous stuff

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Chris Lee still being given game assignments at this point is mind-boggling.

How does the Supervisor of Officials justify this? I'd really like some public accountability.

Reactions: vpasla1 and Varlan

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Honestly I think the NHL tells the refs to allow cheap shots to stars. Somehow they believe injuries to the leagues best players will help the league. I mean it’s the only possible rational for letting all that extra crap happen away from the play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad