FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
5e1jt5.jpg

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He's the most infamous ref that I know of and I've been a fan for twenty years. It's not just Montreal. He's absurdly awful and somehow he's reffing games deep into the playoffs. I don't get it. Is it seniority, good personal relationships? Because there's no way he can be here based on competency. I refuse to believe the league can't see it.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Strange considering Chris Lee handed the Habs the series win against the Sens in 2015 in game 6 when he blew down Pageau's goal.

Chris Lee is an ass there's a correlation between him being in the game or not, and the amount of penalities taken with the Habs.
Must be fired ASAP (and with your own Chris Lee's story, I guess you're not against it?)

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
He shouldn’t have a job but I think the league is thin on good referees.
I suppose if you run a monopoly business (NHL) you have to deal with Unions.

Why the referees need a union, I do not know. But they have one so my next point will be moot.

So that all said, I agree there is a shortage of good refs. On eobvious solution would be to get rid of the ridiculous step they made when they added another ref to the ice surface. They could instantly double the size of the pool from which to pick refs with NHL game experience but........

Reactions: hockeyfan2k18

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
The loathing for this wack-job is only increased by the fact that he looks like an inbred, back-woods freak with an IQ slightly below a sack of used pucks.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Goto the 6:02 mark. The Leafs deal with this stuff ALL THE TIME. Why is bad officiating just now coming to light as an excuse for the Habs? The Habs literally got to round 3 with bad officiating and DOPS decisions alone.

Habs got to Round 3 because Leafs are weak. End of story.

Plus you've got an idiot GM who's bright idea this season was to bring in a bunch of wiley old vets -- the majority of whom had never won a Cup. You don't bring in guys who know how to lose..... you bring in guys that have won.

Reactions: hockeyfan2k18

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
The NHL is a multi billion dollar business, they likely have models predicting the best outcome for a Stanley cup final money wise.

Montreal isn’t bringing in the big American TV money.

So they control one thing, refs!

Reactions: Varlan

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The NHL is a multi billion dollar business, they likely have models predicting the best outcome for a Stanley cup final money wise.

Montreal isn’t bringing in the big American TV money.

So they control one thing, refs!

That's just so silly. The potential upside isn't worth it and the consequences would be way too big. Not to mention how many people would have to be involved. Lee and O'Rourke are just complete incompetents but for one reason or another - that have nothing to do with actual ability - are reffing games deep into the playoff to awful effect.

Shigz71

Apr 23, 2016

Goto the 6:02 mark. The Leafs deal with this stuff ALL THE TIME. Why is bad officiating just now coming to light as an excuse for the Habs? The Habs literally got to round 3 with bad officiating and DOPS decisions alone.

HAHA yeah that is why the leafs lost, because of 1 missed call, Price had nothing to do with it.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
Habs got to Round 3 because Leafs are weak. End of story.

Plus you've got an idiot GM who's bright idea this season was to bring in a bunch of wiley old vets -- the majority of whom had never won a Cup. You don't bring in guys who know how to lose..... you bring in guys that have won.

true. At least Habs brought in proven winners.pad their prime, sure but you look around that locker room you’re going to listen to Staal and Perry ahead of Thornton and spezza.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
HAHA yeah that is why the leafs lost, because of 1 missed call, Price had nothing to do with it.

leafs lost because they don’t know how to win and appear mentally weak. Price was great but it wasn’t all him. Leafs were short handed a few good players so would the same happen with a full roster? Who knows but injuries are part of the game.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Not sure why the Habs would want to poke this bear.

I feel getting the refs to call more is completely and utterly against Montreal's game plan.
Their defense is a menace when the rule book is discarded. They tend to come back down to earth when the rules are enforced.

I guess that's why the organization hasn't said a word. Should tell their media to keep quiet haha.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Not sure why the Habs would want to poke this bear.

I feel getting the refs to call more is completely and utterly against Montreal's game plan.
Their defense is a menace when the rule book is discarded. They tend to come back down to earth when the rules are enforced.

I guess that's why the organization hasn't said a word. Should tell their media to keep quiet haha.

Our D plays hard but they play clean, Vegas plays blatantly dirty. The type of soft penalties that get called in the regular season (cross-checking in front of the net, slashes etc.) is what our D does well, those don't get called in the playoffs. What we're talking about is boarding, sucker punches, clear high sticks etc., those are no brainer calls.

If the refs aren't gonna call those penalties then both teams will abuse it, Vegas was 1st to test those waters tho. Would it have been the same if we were the ones that initiated it? Judging by some of the penalties we've gotten so far, i doubt we'd get away with the same plays.

Last edited:

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Our D plays hard but they play clean, Vegas plays blatantly dirty. The type of soft penalties that get called in the regular season (cross-checking in front of the net, slashes etc.) is what our D does well, those don't get called in the playoffs. What we're talking about is boarding, sucker punches, clear high sticks etc., those are no brainer calls.

If the refs aren't gonna call those penalties then both teams will abuse it, Vegas was 1st to test those waters tho. Would it have been the same if we were the ones that initiated it? Judging by some of the penalties we've gotten so far, i doubt we'd get away with the same plays.

They absolutely should call cross checks, interference, etc.

This is the EXACT problem.

You want them to ignore infractions that hurt your team and call the ones that help.

Once a ref starts down that path then it’s a giant mess. The only fair answer is to simply call infractions as they happen.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

You want them to ignore infractions that hurt your team and call the ones that help.

Once a ref starts down that path then it’s a giant mess. The only fair answer is to simply call infractions as they happen.

Are you new to hockey? Playoff hockey has always been reffed the same way every season. That said, there are certain lines that don't get crossed, if they do the series gets dirty and the refs lose control of it. Basically if you're willingly doing something to injure a player that's crossing the line.

The norm for blatant cheap shots in the playoffs is an instant call, that hasn't been the case this series.

Reactions: WIP CALLER

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
He looks a bit like a teacher who has lost all the respect of and control over the students and is just allowing things to go along, hoping that it all ends somewhat okay without him putting more of himself on the line.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

No what we want is consistency, if you are allowed to punch the other team's leading scorer in the face at will or cut off a piece of a guys nose let us know. Ben Chiarot enjoys being a D*** and if we are allowing the aforementioned stuff go he should be allowed to punch mark stone in the face everytime he's near him even if the puck is at the other end of the rink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->