Speculation: How do you feel about the rebuild, and how confident are you in the team's direction?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Don't forget to post more useless trade proposals that earn you respect from Toronto fans
I haven't made a trade proposal in over a year wrong guy buddy and rarely on trade forum

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Your constantly obsessed with trading Manson why not trade Manson and Deslauriers so Terry or Grant is the next enforcer?!
2 players away from your dream wuss team where even Toronto is tougher
Im not obsessed with that....what in the world are you talking about I got a game worn signed jersey of manson I hope he is not traded

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
This is a very Dirk opinion of mine but I was all for trading Manson until he threw down Tyler Myers. We can't get rid of that fire. I swear it woke him up out of whatever slumber he was in he looked a lot more like himself after that as opposed to the Manson that couldn't handle a puck all year.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
The time for trading Manson is honestly already behind us, it's a moot conversation. The choice was there last season when we could have tried to go more or less full rebuild mode and traded away players for 1st round picks, but now that we're looking to get on an upward trajectory we can't realistically let go of the pieces we have.

Either Manson gets back to where he was and we're all happier for it, or then he plateaus at this level slightly worse than we'd all like and we accept that and move on with him as a serviceable 4D or a high-end 5/6D. Either way, trading him now would be foolish at minimum.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The time for trading Manson is honestly already behind us, it's a moot conversation. The choice was there last season when we could have tried to go more or less full rebuild mode and traded away players for 1st round picks, but now that we're looking to get on an upward trajectory we can't realistically let go of the pieces we have.

Either Manson gets back to where he was and we're all happier for it, or then he plateaus at this level slightly worse than we'd all like and we accept that and move on with him as a serviceable 4D or a high-end 5/6D. Either way, trading him now would be foolish at minimum.
I think manson has plenty of value now to move him... get value on him and resign him in 2 years if he’s still a capable dmen... but I don’t think manson is going to age well at all

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I was watching The Hockey Guy (on youtube) do a top-2 centers per team ranking and had the Ducks ranked 22nd overall. He thinks the duo of Getz and Henrique are okay, but we don't have that #1 center that can take over a game like a younger Getz used to be. I would agree with that, sadly. That got me thinking... do we even have that kinda of talent in our system? I know many of us are hyped about Zegras, but he still could be a couple of years away before we can actually say we possess that #1 center and he also might just be a very good #2 a la Henrique. Outside of Zegras, I don't think we have a potential #1C, let alone a #2C at the moment in our system (or NHL).

Center prospects
1C potential: Zegras
2C potential: ...
3C potential: Steel, Lundestrom
4C potential: Groulx​

There's a lot riding on Steel and Lundestrom as they're both heading into their third year as pros with the NHL. Zegras will only see NHL time if he plays wing, not center. Things could change if Steel or Lundestrom or both improve greatly. That's a big if. I'm feeling a lil bummed out about our extended look at the center position a year or two years from today. It's a good thing that Henrique is signed through the 2023-24 season. Right now, it feels all of our chips are in the Zegras basket.

How would you guys rank our center prospects and how do you feel about it? There's no wrong answer(s) because prospects are unknown, unfinished talents.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I was watching The Hockey Guy (on youtube) do a top-2 centers per team ranking and had the Ducks ranked 22nd overall. He thinks the duo of Getz and Henrique are okay, but we don't have that #1 center that can take over a game like a younger Getz used to be. I would agree with that, sadly. That got me thinking... do we even have that kinda of talent in our system? I know many of us are hyped about Zegras, but he still could be a couple of years away before we can actually say we possess that #1 center and he also might just be a very good #2 a la Henrique. Outside of Zegras, I don't think we have a potential #1C, let alone a #2C at the moment in our system (or NHL).

Center prospects

There's a lot riding on Steel and Lundestrom as they're both heading into their third year as pros with the NHL. Zegras will only see NHL time if he plays wing, not center. Things could change if Steel or Lundestrom or both improve greatly. That's a big if. I'm feeling a lil bummed out about our extended look at the center position a year or two years from today. It's a good thing that Henrique is signed through the 2023-24 season. Right now, it feels all of our chips are in the Zegras basket.

How would you guys rank our center prospects and how do you feel about it? There's no wrong answer(s) because prospects are unknown, unfinished talents.
I think you hope zegras can be our franchise center.... he’s the type of player that can be a serious game changer if he pans out.

steel and Lundy are both in that 2/3 spot for me.... but a lot will have to do with their production offensively going forward... it’s tough cause we haven’t put them in situations to really succeed as far as linemates and team around them is concerned.

Groulx is solid I don’t think he really has top 6 upside but if he can become like a bonino type that would be big.

the team shouldn’t be great this year so we should be looking at a pick in the top 10 again..

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Center prospects

Yes, at the moment the center depth isn't great after Zegras. I would say that Steel has 2nd line center potential and Groulx could be a 3rd line center. These are ceilings for their potential, I think there's a bigger chance that Steel turns into a 3r liner however. I can see Groulx being a middle six winger, kind of a complementary winger. Ideally I don't think he should be in top 6.

Ducks are looking at drafting in the top 10 next year as well, which is a good place to take another skilled center (or a defenceman).

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think Steel has the smarts and skill to have a pretty high ceiling but doesn't have the other tools to carry a line. It will be interesting to see how he develops and how he plays as the team and his linemates improve.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Not really, our forward development has been trash for a while now, and how we've handled our recent forward prospects has been terrible. Glad to draw you out of your cave though.

It hasn't though and thats highly debatable at best(and still likely wrong). Glad to see I apparently live in your head despite posting here only semi regularly for the past year or so!

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
From the Athletic's fan survey.

Screen-Shot-2020-11-30-at-8.58.00-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-11-30-at-8.58.52-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-11-30-at-8.59.41-AM.png

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Some interesting answers in that survey. A lot of people wanting Getzy signed between $2M and $4M on his next contract are likely going to be disappointed...

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Didn’t really know where it belongs but given it’s about the direction the athletic staff would take the Ducks if they had their way I thought this was the best thread.

For anyone who wants a laugh and has the Athletic read this:

How we’d run the Ducks: Unload veterans and keep adding prospects
How we'd run the Ducks: Unload veterans and keep adding prospects

Just shows how ignorant some of the mainstream media is about the Ducks and also how bad Dom’s analytical models are. For anyone without a subscription, his model ranks Lindholm as a low end top 4 dman and ranks Shattenkirk as not only our best dman but also a number one dman.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Didn’t really know where it belongs but given it’s about the direction the athletic staff would take the Ducks if they had their way I thought this was the best thread.

Just shows how ignorant some of the mainstream media is about the Ducks and also how bad Dom’s analytical models are. For anyone without a subscription, his model ranks Lindholm as a low end top 4 dman and ranks Shattenkirk as not only our best dman but also a number one dman.
I saw that article. The Tank crowd will love as they'll see it as confirmation. To me it was just a lazy way to put out an article. I was very disappointed

Bergey37

May 19, 2019

I think it was Dom who a year ago had Erik Karlsson's contract as one of the 10 best in the NHL, and now it's one of the 10 worst. Lol. It's been a gripe of mine for years that folks heavy into the "analytics" seem to totally ignore context - that's a recipe for disaster if there ever was. When folks were bashing the Ducks about not embracing the analytics, I was quietly applauding them for moving slowly so they could learn how to separate the information from the noise. BM had said as much, and got pilloried. But it really is shameful when media guys who are supposed to know better engage in the same nonsense.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

The center vs. wing concerns are definitely interesting to me as center is to me our biggest long term issue and our wing is quite good. I would imagine the split comes down to which position voters think Zegras will play in the NHL.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Hampus Lindholm is a low end top 4 defensemen according to that article.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad