Speculation: How do you feel about the rebuild, and how confident are you in the team's direction?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Lindholm will age better than any defensemen we have because he has hockey IQ unlike every other defense we have

I disagree he will age well. He’s already noticeably slower than he was when he came into the league. He was an elite skater now he’s just above average. He’s good to miss games every year and even when he’s in the lineup he’s seemingly always playing hurt, he’s had hip issues, shoulder issues, wrist issues and back issues.

I think his skating will fall off a cliff soon. And it won’t be pretty when it happens.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I disagree, he's 26 years old.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Our biggest issue is the kids didnt step up as much as we needed them to. If they still fail to live up to expectations then we have a few more years of crap to get through.

I think we are on the right track with the rebuild. I dont think its all about getting a really high pick but more about quantity of first & second rounders. Any pick could be a star or a complete bust but being able to take multiple shots at players with decent odds of succeeding is how you build up a team.

We need to continue to draft two firsts each year so we have that quantity of quality prospects to pump through our system.

We will find the stars we need even if we dont get a top pick.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I disagree he will age well. He’s already noticeably slower than he was when he came into the league. He was an elite skater now he’s just above average. He’s good to miss games every year and even when he’s in the lineup he’s seemingly always playing hurt, he’s had hip issues, shoulder issues, wrist issues and back issues.

I think his skating will fall off a cliff soon. And it won’t be pretty when it happens.
Lindholm is a dmen that doesn’t use his skating as an advantage... this is really just a horrible take.

as for the topic

my biggest issue is we haven’t committed to a rebuild... bm is still trying to find ways to retool.... realistically we should have already sold off some players and got more picks/prospects but we haven’t.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Maybe not all of them. But two? Three? Yeah

Totally agree. I just don't think Cam should be involved in that. It should have been Rakell and Henrique/Silfverberg IMO.

Fowler will be 29 at the beginning of next season and is signed for another 6 years. It’s a fair cap hit right now but term wise it’s anything but team friendly. I would jump at the chance to get out of that contract.

So it goes to 35. Where is the problem here? A contract going from 28-35 is standard in this league. Happens all the time. It isn't like is is Burns where it goes to age 40.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Murray is trying to be too "cute" throughout this process. The man refuses to even call it what it is, a rebuild.

We're basically doing the same **** that LA was doing 3-4 years ago. Zegras is to us what Vilardi is to them.

I fear we'll go down the exact same road, that we're headed for at least a few more years of futility.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You could make the argument that he hasn’t wanted to sell low on players who were once valuable. Rakell fits this bill. He would have brought back a top prospect and a 1st and potentially an additional asset because of how good his contract is a couple years ago. Now you are probably looking at a meh prospect and maybe a 1st if you find the right deal. Although at this point we are nearing the point where BM has got to get what he can for certain guys and accelerate the rebuild

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
We're basically doing the same **** that LA was doing 3-4 years ago. Zegras is to us what Vilardi is to them.

I fear we'll go down the exact same road, that we're headed for at least a few more years of futility.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't GM Blake explicitly tell Doughty, Kopitar, and Quick the priority of the next few seasons is to rebuild? He didn't go so far as the NYR's social media post openly declaring a teardown but it was a behind the scenes admission that competing would come secondary to restocking.

I understand Anaheim's fans are more fair-weather than those supporting the LA and NYC franchises. At some point though, Murray needs to stop sugarcoating the obvious. I wish the front office would own up to rebuilding in advance of what will likely be a compressed season.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
When Nieds and Selanne aged out of their prime, Anaheim had Perry and Getzlaf to come in. This time around there's no elite player to bridge the gap.

Anaheim can sell off all their veterans, but look at Edmonton with McDavid, they had no one good around him and they made tough signings (Lucic) to bring in that experienced talent that they should've had in the first place.

Ultimately, Anaheim is in a tough place.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I honestly don't understand who you guys think will play if we sell off the veterans. Seriously who plays if we trade these guys? We already have too many kids in the lineup.
There will be a number of free agents this year who take shorter team deals. I would go this route to fill roster spots, it will give us an additional asset at trade deadlines.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
There will be a number of free agents this year who take shorter team deals. I would go this route to fill roster spots, it will give us an additional asset at trade deadlines.
If they're willing to sign here. Who do you have in mind and why are they chosing us over the team we are trading our guys to?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don't see us signing any defensemen unless any of Lindholm, Fowler, or Manson are traded, though I would target any of the following free agents on short term deals (no more than 2 ideally, maybe 3 if its a cheap caphit), would allow us to trade Rakell, Henrique, Silfverberg, etc and not rush kids into spots they aren't ready for.

Vladislav Namestnikov
Carl Soderberg
Cody Eakin
Erik Haula
Mattias Janmark
Jesper Fast
Johan Larsson
Derick Brassard
Tyler Ennis

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Lindholm is a dmen that doesn’t use his skating as an advantage... this is really just a horrible take.

as for the topic

my biggest issue is we haven’t committed to a rebuild... bm is still trying to find ways to retool.... realistically we should have already sold off some players and got more picks/prospects but we haven’t.

He definitely does. In transition he uses it frequently and every dman when defending off the rush uses their skating ability.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I honestly don't understand who you guys think will play if we sell off the veterans. Seriously who plays if we trade these guys? We already have too many kids in the lineup.

You do what Lou did in Toronto when he came in and bring in stop gap vets who still think they’ve got something left in the tank on short term deals until the kids are ready. Every year there are loads of FAs left on September who aren’t in demand but still have enough left in the tank to contribute for a season.

Reactions: Lord Flashheart

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He definitely does. In transition he uses it frequently and every dman when defending off the rush uses their skating ability.
His biggest assets are his mind, stick work and positioning.... skating isnt something that is going to bring his game down as much as you act like it will.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I understand Anaheim's fans are more fair-weather than those supporting the LA and NYC franchises. At some point though, Murray needs to stop sugarcoating the obvious. I wish the front office would own up to rebuilding in advance of what will likely be a compressed season.
Just by going what's seen in the comments to posts by the Angels/Ducks official accounts, you see 1000s of people wanting them to win it all every year or compete for the last playoff spot every year and they don't understand the concept of replenishing elite youth into the franchise, to them its all about spending big on free agents and blaming the lack of signing big names on the GM.

A huge % of fans won't go to games if they are rebuilding, they would rather watch a mediocre product for the next 10 years.

Both Anaheim franchises won it all because of their development of young players.....Getzlaf the leading playoff scorer for the Ducks in 07 and the Angels won game 6 because of their high draft picked players Erstad(1st overall in 1995) and Glaus(3rd overall in 1997) came thru big time and game 7 win with a rookie starting pitcher Lackey and the rookie reliever K Rod.

Reactions: Trojans86

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I don't see us signing any defensemen unless any of Lindholm, Fowler, or Manson are traded, though I would target any of the following free agents on short term deals (no more than 2 ideally, maybe 3 if its a cheap caphit), would allow us to trade Rakell, Henrique, Silfverberg, etc and not rush kids into spots they aren't ready for.

Vladislav Namestnikov
Carl Soderberg
Cody Eakin
Erik Haula
Mattias Janmark
Jesper Fast
Johan Larsson
Derick Brassard
Tyler Ennis
I like those names, particularly Haula, and would add Grant to the list.

Additionally, Murray needs to prioritize adding a hard shot to the power play. We had the top-ranked power play in the 2015-16 season. Since then, it has ranked 17, 23, 24, and 30 this past season. Why not consider Vatanen? He backstopped the power play in 2015-16, was a fan favorite, and is a cheaper option than Pietrangelo/Barrie.

Reactions: mymerlincat

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
going to have to respond when I get home tonight as this appears to be giving my phone fits. Short reply is that I disagree and will list why.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I wonder how people would feel if the Ducks had gotten the 2nd pick instead of the Kings. Would they then think that the rebuild was going well. Anaheim is still very early into the rebuild while the Kings have had a couple of bad years in a row already and have traded players for first rounders and thus they have more recent first round picks than Anaheim.

Also, people need to remember that drafts never playout like that the 1st pick is the best, the 2nd pick is the second best etc. Sure, first pick is often the best one, but after that it is full of surprises. Last time Ducks drafted at 6th was in 2012 when they got Lindholm and that year the whole top 4 was full of busts and disappointments. Maybe that happens this year as well?

To answer the question, I think Ducks are in the early stages of rebuilding and they likely will be picking early in a couple more drafts before things turn around. Zegras is a great prospect who they got at 9 and this year they have even earlier pick. They got several young forwards who I think should turn into middle six forwards, you need those type of guys to back up the stars. Defence is a weakness, but there are a couple of good ones like Thrun and Drew. Goalie situation is good with Gibson in the net and then there's Dostal who I have high expectations for. So I think it's too early to press the panic button and abandon hope. Things get worse before they get better.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
His biggest assets are his mind, stick work and positioning.... skating isnt something that is going to bring his game down as much as you act like it will.

Skating is a huge part of keeping good gaps, something Lindholm is very good at. Everybody relies on skating ability, it worries me because Lindholms skating ability has regressed noticeably since coming into the league. He’s also had so many injuries that have taken away from his explosiveness I fear he won’t be someone who plays very well post 30.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Ouf. Tough question. I guess I would say I feel 'indifferent'. With the whole draft lottery debacle, I really feel like we are missing out on a top-5 prospect. (Unless someone can convince me otherwise). I feel like this team has some bright spots, but we desperately need players that can put the puck in the net. Looking at the roster currently - it looks bleak. After the deadline, Milano was actually playing well and so was Hienen, but those aren't X-factor players that can decide a game (maybe Milano can given the new environment?)

Even Murray doesn't call it one. If we are truly in rebuild mode, we should've sold off the big pieces (no matter how much pissing and moaning the fan base does). Rakell, Manson, Henrique and Larsson would've/could've been out the door for picks and prospects but that direction has gone out the window. This team needs scoring talent - and I don't see that coming unless they can get some luck with FA.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Out of anyone on the entire team aging, Lindholm is the least of my worries and its not particularity close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->