Speculation: How do you feel about the rebuild, and how confident are you in the team's direction?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm just so glad Bob's gone after seeing these returns lol. It was ridiculously annoying to see Bob not move everyone out over his talk of wanting "good young players". Like teams willingly give those away, especially for guys nearing 30 who are rentals or have 1 year left lmao. You either get that through the draft, and he most certainly did NOT maximize all the draft capital we could've acquired, or by trade, and again, he didn't care to build up a pool of assets to pull these trades off like Verbeek is doing. Guy had no clue whatsoever on how to do a rebuild, we'd have been stuck in no man's land.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm just so glad Bob's gone after seeing these returns lol. It was ridiculously annoying to see Bob not move everyone out over his talk of wanting "good young players". Like teams willingly give those away, especially for guys nearing 30 who are rentals or have 1 year left lmao. You either get that through the draft, and he most certainly did NOT maximize all the draft capital we could've acquired, or by trade, and again, he didn't care to build up a pool of assets to pull these trades off like Verbeek is doing. Guy had no clue whatsoever on how to do a rebuild, we'd have been stuck in no man's land.

Verbeek did what Bob should have done at least a year ago, maybe two. Would have gotten more value for guys like Rakell and Manson. If Verbeek is as active in the summer as he was during TDL, will be very happy. I have high hopes this will be far from the team on opening night in Oct.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I expect Verbeek to sign or trade for a few low cost "bridge" players (a term I've grown to hate). He'll likely add some size and toughness to the team. The biggest trades I think he might make are dealing Gibson and Comtois. I don't see him signing any big name free agents. In short, another painful year but with the reward of a very high 2023 draft pick.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Biggest questions I have after this deadline:

1. The obvious #1, what will our team look like next season? Lots of moves will be made before next season, just going to have to wait and see...

2. Who will be our next coach? Hard to imagine Verbeek renews Eakins instead of picking his own coach. I guess weirder things have happened.

3. How much will Verbeek continue to reshape the front office in the summer? So far Nonis has left, and Nieds and Teats were given promotions. Is this it? We know that part of the interview process involved asking potential candidates about keeping our current executives around. Will guys like Madden and Solomon stick, or will Verbeek continue to reshape the front office?

4. Is this the final season with Getzlaf? I always dreamed of him holding our hand through the rebuild, serving as a leader and mentor for all the young guys as they come up, and hopefully being around for a season or two of that core being a playoff team. Looking increasingly unlikely he's still in the league by the time we get around to that point though, and while in terms of pure on-ice impact, the guys we just dealt are probably the biggest loses, it'll sting seeing the team without Getz.

Reactions: branmuffin17

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Excited to see where Verbeek takes us since he has no loyalty to this group, as evidenced by the TDL. Doubt he'll be doing much in the FA market unless it's for a familiar name like Palat. Hell, maybe even Marc Staal, RW fans seem happy with his play.

I think this offseason he'll be focused on accumulating picks and prospects to stock the cupboard and challenge the current crop of kids, and maybe trying to unload one of Silf/Henrique. The draft could be an interesting day. Seems like he has an overall vision. Or at least a more fine-tuned approach than "find talent and coach will make it work."

And at the end of the day: In Madden We Trust

Reactions: branmuffin17
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Verbeek did what Bob should have done at least a year ago, maybe two. Would have gotten more value for guys like Rakell and Manson. If Verbeek is as active in the summer as he was during TDL, will be very happy. I have high hopes this will be far from the team on opening night in Oct.
I don't think this is true, at least not with Manson but maybe Rakell too. Scuttlebutt with Manson was 2nd and a prospect last year and if that's the case then it was easily the right move to keep him, doubly so in the event he returns in the summer. Rakell's a wildcard but that Burke interview was a bit eye opening on a few levels. Hampus too was hurt and got his value boosted by the extension which could only happen now. You could go back even further but that can be messy. All in all I don't have many complaints how it all worked out thus far.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Biggest questions I have after this deadline:

1. The obvious #1, what will our team look like next season? Lots of moves will be made before next season, just going to have to wait and see...

2. Who will be our next coach? Hard to imagine Verbeek renews Eakins instead of picking his own coach. I guess weirder things have happened.

3. How much will Verbeek continue to reshape the front office in the summer? So far Nonis has left, and Nieds and Teats were given promotions. Is this it? We know that part of the interview process involved asking potential candidates about keeping our current executives around. Will guys like Madden and Solomon stick, or will Verbeek continue to reshape the front office?

4. Is this the final season with Getzlaf? I always dreamed of him holding our hand through the rebuild, serving as a leader and mentor for all the young guys as they come up, and hopefully being around for a season or two of that core being a playoff team. Looking increasingly unlikely he's still in the league by the time we get around to that point though, and while in terms of pure on-ice impact, the guys we just dealt are probably the biggest loses, it'll sting seeing the team without Getz.
1.I'm a bit skeptical, I suppose it depends on what you define as big moves but I don't think this summer will be overly transformative. A lot of big question marks but not a lot of obvious answers. Seems likely he'll add a scoring forward and a defenseman but not sure either will be long term answers.

2.Eakins is certainly the easy choice for next year. My gut feeling is the next coach not being a first timer but that's just a gut feeling and if thats the case I'm not sure nows the right time. Does Eakins have an option for next year? That could be the way.

3.You'd think they might fill the Nonis role with a truer AGM but hopefully that's it. Madden and Solomon's roles are mostly specific and hopefully he just keeps them.

4.I think this is it. Stephens just had a blurb about it and Getzlaf mentioned they've discussed his future role. All depends on how he feels but wouldn't be surprised with some kind of announcement in a month.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Ducks have a top-5 farm team before Verbeek. Murray has been collecting 1st round picks. Some picks have panned out and some picks have not because that's a normal occurrence. Since the rebuild that started at the 2018-19 TDL, the Ducks have had two first round picks in 2019 and 2020 along with picking in the top-10 for three consecutive seasons with 2019 9th overall C Zegras, 2020 6th overall D Drysdale, and 2021 3rd overall C McTavish.

The most difficult part of the rebuild is mostly done by finding the next young core in RW Terry, C Lundy, C Zegras, RHD Drysdale, and C McTavish. Did I mention that the Ducks have a top-5 farm team that doesn't include Terry, Lundy, Zegras, and Drysdale?

Verbeek's words: (source = link)

"This team doesn't need to be rebuilt; they're in the middle of their rebuild, so this is a great opportunity to take this team forward and turn them into a contender," Verbeek said during his introductory press conference. "You don't have to come in there and look to take a long time. There's good players in the NHL, good players in the minors and there are players that have been drafted. There's a lot coming to support the growth of this team. That's truly what I'm excited about."

Anaheim has two ways to go about this from this point: add more NHL players to supplement the core or reset the org by jettisoning several UFAs, who are part of the veteran core in Lindholm, Manson, Des, and Rakell.

Obviously, we know which path Verbeek wanted. But you are apparently mistaken that Murray has no clue on how to do a rebuild. Murray's way to rebuild is different from what you want, but that doesn't mean he has no clue. Murray wants insulation with his rebuild. An example of this is why he traded for Des.

Here's Des's words, from the Athletic article:

"I have to give credit to Anaheim. They gave me a second boost in my career. Montreal was not going the way I wanted my last year there, and I went (to Anaheim) and just proved myself, that I can play and I can also do the heavy lifting. We had Josh Manson there, who usually took the heavy lifting, and then I got there, and he (was able to change his) mindset to play hockey and I think he proved to be a good defenseman. My role’s the same here. In Moose (Marcus Foligno) … I want to be that guy doing it and I want him to be — how many goals does he have, 19? — I want him to be on the ice. I’ll be in the box. I’ll do the five minutes.

Des does the fighting so Manson doesn't have to fight. That allows Manson to play more on the ice to help cover the kids. Rico and Silf's were informed that the org was going into a rebuild with their extensions, which they agreed with it. Rico's been a good offensive outlet for both Terry and Zegras. Silf works so well with Lundy as they both want to generate offense by playing very good defense.

Murray has a different perspective on doing a rebuild his way, from the OC Register:

“I just felt like we needed more experience here,” Murray said of replacing Mark Morrison and Marty Wilford, Eakins’ assistants the past two seasons. “We’ve got a bunch of younger players. I didn’t feel good about younger players with a younger coaching staff. I needed more experience.”

“In the minors, because we’re going to have so many kids in the next little while with young teams, we just wanted a younger group down there, a younger group that has dealt with that age group before. I think that’s something that got overlooked this summer, changing the two staffs.”

“We’re rebuilding,” Murray acknowledged during an informal, 40-minute conversation 24 hours before the Ducks open training camp at Great Park Ice.

Asked what he tells Ducks fans when they recognize him at the gas station or on the golf course, Murray said, “We’re sticking to our plan. We’re rebuilding. This is how we’re doing it. We’re being patient. Everything we’re going to do going forward, all the trades we make, everything is for the future at this point in time.

“As those things come along, we’ll keep adding to that core young group we have. Just be patient. Just enjoy watching the young kids now and, hopefully, some of the veterans come back (to form) and give you something to be happy about.”

The rebuild started around the 2018-19 TDL. Murray has been that patient. When healthy, the whole team took off. They even shortened the bench late in games to secure wins, removing youths who aren't great at defense off the ice in Zegras and Drysdale. There's a whole lot of insulating going on.

====

Verbeek's gone a totally different direction. He's got a lot more ammo now in terms of draft picks. I don't know what our timeline is now, but I do hope to have some top-4 D acquired before the next season starts b/c our PK is abysmal now. I also hope he signs Thrun and LaCombe after their junior seasons are over in the NCAA to bring more talent to the pro level.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
With how a lot of franchises draft, I would consider this deadline concerning. With how the Ducks draft, I have a lot more faith. I'm interested to see if Verbeek will trade up or trade for more developed young talent.

Reactions: sasha barkov

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Verbeek hasn't done anything different from what Murray did, so far. He didn't trade anyone still under contract beyond this year.

I can definitely see the argument that the Ducks should have moved some guys earlier and that Murray made mistakes, and that Verbeek may be better, but there's going to be this revisionist history rush that the Ducks were an old team with no assets under Murray until Verbeek came along and started the rebuild.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Verbeek hasn't done anything different from what Murray did, so far. He didn't trade anyone still under contract beyond this year.

I can definitely see the argument that the Ducks should have moved some guys earlier and that Murray made mistakes, and that Verbeek may be better, but there's going to be this revisionist history rush that the Ducks were an old team with no assets under Murray until Verbeek came along and started the rebuild.
Speaking of I'm kind of surprised how anyone can try and confidently predict what Verbeek's gonna do. He has yet to add a proven NHLer who we know is gonna be here next season, who isn't a cap casualty or waiver claim. I have no ****ing clue where he's gonna go with this, just idle speculation.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I wonder what's the approach from now on. Are they still building through the draft = keeping all or most of the acquired draft picks, add some talent in free agency, trade up in draft; or are they going to use the picks to acquire proven talent through trades? I suppose it'll be something in between those two but it'll be interesting if it will be one more over the other. If acquiring talent will be through draft I wonder if it means that Verbeek realized the upcoming talent is not enough yet, the Ducks aren't as far in the rebuild as he originally thought/stated, to start adding proven pieces.

I have yet to follow a rebuild closely enough to know if this is even where the decision will come down to. Just throwing it out there.

Reactions: KyleJRM
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Speaking of I'm kind of surprised how anyone can try and confidently predict what Verbeek's gonna do. He has yet to add a proven NHLer who we know is gonna be here next season, who isn't a cap casualty or waiver claim. I have no ****ing clue where he's gonna go with this, just idle speculation.
Yeah the only thing he confirmed with that deadline was that he wasn't kidding -- he won't sign veterans to long term deals and he won't let them walk for nothing. What he does with the warm bodies and picks etc. will tell us a lot more.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We're back at the square one, and will take, as it stands now, few years to accurately gauge things.

There's no one who you could be sure will be the core player for the next contending cycle.

I don’t think they are at square one. Zegras, Terry, Drysdale, and Lundy have made significant strides. Fowler and Henrique are on pace for one of their best seasons. I see them being major contibutors in the next couple of years as the prospects in the system continue to grow and break the NHL plane. I would not count out players like Comtois or especially Benoit.

Verbeek sold his pending UFAs, the only one who could have been part of the core was Lindholm but he didn’t want to go 8 years, and don’t really blame him. Don‘t get me wrong, lots of work to be done, but no way this is the team that is iced in Oct.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Hard to say until this off season.

Are the ducks going to do what the king's did and sign some UFAs? Are they going to do what the Coyotes are doing and just take over the hill vets and put out a terrible team in hopes of getting a high draft pick? We shall see. Personally I'd like to see them sign some UFAs because I think the Coyotes plan would have the current young core want to push the exit button like the young core in Buffalo did

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don’t think they are at square one. Zegras, Terry, Drysdale, and Lundy have made significant strides. Fowler and Henrique are on pace for one of their best seasons. I see them being major contibutors in the next couple of years as the prospects in the system continue to grow and break the NHL plane. I would not count out players like Comtois or especially Benoit.

Verbeek sold his pending UFAs, the only one who could have been part of the core was Lindholm but he didn’t want to go 8 years, and don’t really blame him. Don‘t get me wrong, lots of work to be done, but no way this is the team that is iced in Oct.
They're not at square one and they're not where the Ducks were to start the season. All the players who had made growth strides as well as older core vets producing where all done with our traded UFA's in Lindholm, Manson, Des, and Rakell.

Getz recounts the binary scenario presented with Verbeek:

The glimmer of hope that the first half of the season provided makes in some ways where they’re sitting at now a tougher pill to swallow.

“It makes it difficult,” Getzlaf said. “And it’s nothing to do with Pat. I’m not, by any means, putting anything on Pat. Pat did what he had to do because of the situation we put him in. Had we continued to win hockey games before Pat got here and put ourselves in a really nice spot, I’m sure the deadline would have been different. That’s the nature of our business."

We went from 80 mph to 15 mph in almost nothing flat. To be fair to Verbeek, we didn't have a GM between Murray and Verbeek to want to facilitate a trade once our defense started faltering to injury where we had to ice all three inexperienced youths in the same game to rely upon in Drysdale, Benoit, and Mahura. Although, Verbeek was hired on Feb 3rd, he could have made a trade for a 6/7th knowing Manson was out. Verbeek sat on his hands and never bothered to contact Manson's agent on a contract extension.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I didn’t like it at first but now that it’s done I’m glad we took a bath on rebuilding our defensive pool at the same time as rebuilding our forwards. I much prefer it this way as opposed to waiting until z, lundestrom, drysdale and mctavish are in their prime and we have to waste 2 or more of those years rebuilding most of the defense.

I feel like that was a lesson learned the hard way under the getzlaf and perry core.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Before this season started it was my opinion that the team needed another top 3 pick and then they could start rounding out the team by bringing in more talent through trades/UFA.

As fun as the Ducks winning earlier in the season was, I knew it would set the rebuild back at least one year, and it has. Now the absolutely awful season the Ducks should have had this season, they will now have next season. I hope everyone is prepared to suck. Not this season suck, but really suck.

I think Verbeek knows this is the way though. I think he's made comments about how TBL had Stamkos and Hedman to build around. I think he knows they need a couple of those players. So overall, I am pretty confident in the rebuild as long as they don't get stupid and try to make the playoffs next year.

If they try to build a playoff team too soon they will end up an average playoff team but never really a cup contender. What they do this offseason will be very telling which direction they choose.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Before this season started it was my opinion that the team needed another top 3 pick and then they could start rounding out the team by bringing in more talent through trades/UFA.

As fun as the Ducks winning earlier in the season was, I knew it would set the rebuild back at least one year, and it has. Now the absolutely awful season the Ducks should have had this season, they will now have next season. I hope everyone is prepared to suck. Not this season suck, but really suck.

I think Verbeek knows this is the way though. I think he's made comments about how TBL had Stamkos and Hedman to build around. I think he knows they need a couple of those players. So overall, I am pretty confident in the rebuild as long as they don't get stupid and try to make the playoffs next year.

If they try to build a playoff team too soon they will end up an average playoff team but never really a cup contender. What they do this offseason will be very telling which direction they choose.

If the Ducks are that bad next season, then a lot of important assets like Drysale, Zegras and Terry aren't having good years. That's very bad for the rebuild.

I sympathize with the argument that you need top-2 talents like Stamkos/Hedman, but I don't see how you can ever count on that in a lottery league.

If Terry/Drysdale/Lundestrom/Benoit/MacTavish all have positive development next season, I don't see how you can hope to be bad enough to warrant a top pick. Do we need to go full Jeff Gilooly on our young talent?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Duckie
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I didn’t like it at first but now that it’s done I’m glad we took a bath on rebuilding our defensive pool at the same time as rebuilding our forwards. I much prefer it this way as opposed to waiting until z, lundestrom, drysdale and mctavish are in their prime and we have to waste 2 or more of those years rebuilding most of the defense.

I feel like that was a lesson learned the hard way under the getzlaf and perry core.
Different situations and certainly different landscapes but in some ways a lot of the same issues. Definitely been a lot of investment into the position recently and there's a lot of guys with NHL upside but a lot of question marks for the top of the lineup yet and no easy solutions. The second most ideal outcome from the draft is to maybe get a guy who can hit that level but might not be that easy. Be interesting to see what Verbeek can come up with.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
If the Ducks are that bad next season, then a lot of important assets like Drysale, Zegras and Terry aren't having good years. That's very bad for the rebuild.

I sympathize with the argument that you need top-2 talents like Stamkos/Hedman, but I don't see how you can ever count on that in a lottery league.

If Terry/Drysdale/Lundestrom/Benoit/MacTavish all have positive development next season, I don't see how you can hope to be bad enough to warrant a top pick. Do we need to go full Jeff Gilooly on our young talent?

Those players are having good seasons this year and its still not enough to win. Without Lindholm and Manson it's going to be even worse regardless of the seasons those players have. Unless you are expecting both to have 100 point seasons and Drysdale become a #1, I don't think the team is having a good season.

The point is to not go out and sign players just so the Ducks are maybe a playoff team instead of bottom of the league. If Verbeek does that then the rebuild is over. Prematurely, imo.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Those players are having good seasons this year and its still not enough to win. Without Lindholm and Manson it's going to be even worse regardless of the seasons those players have. Unless you are expecting both to have 100 point seasons and Drysdale become a #1, I don't think the team is having a good season.

The point is to not go out and sign players just so the Ducks are maybe a playoff team instead of bottom of the league. If Verbeek does that then the rebuild is over. Prematurely, imo.
It's also not bad enough to pick in the top 2. We were talking about our lack of Hedman/Stamos level talents, top 2 overall picks.

And I agree, it makes me nervous we don't have any of those talents.

But if you're worried threatening the playoffs is going to cost us another late top-10 pick or whatever, I can't agree. We have plenty of those level talents. If Terry, Zegras, MacTavish, Drysdale and whoever we draft this year aren't enough, then one more probably won't make the difference.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
will be able to answer better during FA/summer.....currently where this team sits, they are 4 years away from being a PO lock, which can change rapidly over the summer......i dont think they are they far away as i dont see how this team gets away with being brutal for 4 plus years so i expect to see a lot of movement in the summer.....PV will earn his strips this summer and so much will be more clear about his ability to do the job, he has a lot of decisions/work to do starting with who his head coach will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad