Speculation: How do you feel about the rebuild, and how confident are you in the team's direction?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Lindholm and Manson gone. Gibson keeps struggling.

1648424420250.png

Hopefully it doesn't last too long.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
If we're not looking to compete for like four years or whatever, we should sell high on Terry now.

(I don't think we should because I don't think we should be writing off three more seasons, but if we were)
Was wondering when someone would float this. I also doubt there's an issue with not competing for four more years. It always looks bleak now but I think people forget how long four years actually is.

Reactions: Boo Boo and KyleJRM

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If we're not looking to compete for like four years or whatever, we should sell high on Terry now.

(I don't think we should because I don't think we should be writing off three more seasons, but if we were)
Definitely should trade 1 of the two players that can drive a line, that's 24 years old. This place makes me wonder sometimes....

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Definitely should trade 1 of the two players that can drive a line, that's 24 years old. This place makes me wonder sometimes....

If we're punting the next 3 years, sure. Why not get value for his prime instead of wasting it here?

It's Econ 101. A team actually trying to win for those years has more comparative need for him than we do, so they should be willing to offer us more than he's worth to us.

Again, I don't think we actually should because I don't think we're actually rebuilding that far into the future.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Do people on here legitimately think we can trade all our "older" players and just develop a team full of 19-22 year old's? Please show me one team that did that... ever... and was successful. That's how you become a straight loser franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: dracom

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Do people on here legitimately think we can trade all our "older" players and just develop a team full of 19-22 year old's? Please show me one team that did that... ever... and was successful. That's how you become a straight loser franchise.

I don’t think anyone is saying that.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
24 is too old apparently :laugh:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I never said they should use TB as a template. Stamkos/Hedman were brought up because I said I THINK Verbeek made some comments about having those players. You posted all that about something I didn't say.

I also have no idea what your point is. If your point is that they put veterans around Stamkos/Hedman and that's why they won then that doesn't really apply to us because we don't have Stamkos/Hedman. Unless you think that Zegras/Drysdale are our Stamkos/Hedman. If so, I think you're way off. But even if that is your point, you finish it off saying people need to stop using that as a template. So, don't add veterans around Zegras/Drysdale?

So what you're saying is Verbeek brought up Stamkos/Hedman b/c the Ducks were missing those talents... not because TB was gifted those talents before Yzerman/Verbeek got there, which alludes to Verbeek stating the Ducks were ahead of the curve in the rebuild because he's been gifted a lot of young talents in Terry, Zegras, Drysdale, and McTavish?

And that Verbeek did a firesale to get a Stamkos and a Hedman in the coming drafts... like win 1st/2nd overall this draft, win 1st/2nd overall in the next draft, then then add the quality veterans in year 3?

huh. I stand corrected. We do not possess those talents on this team currently. We are tanking faster than McDavid can score points, but I don't think we can reach into the top-6 this draft season. If we don't add any veteran talent next sesaon, then we might be in it to win it, the 1st overall pick in a draft where its top picks are better than the 2022 top picks.

With that said, TB already had very good veterans before Stamkos/Hedmen were drafted as TB won the Cup in 2003-04 and the last time in the playoffs was 2006-07. TB ran into similar problems we had... injuries to some top players and not enough talent depth to land Stamkos in 2008 and Hedman in 2009. Stamkos and Hedman broke into the league with top talents around them already. Yzerman kept adding onto the team. Through the draft, they got Kucherov in the 2nd rd of 2011, Vasilevskiy 19th overall in 2012. That's the Bolts pattern. That's kinda similar to the Murray pattern. Insulate your youth with good veterans while drafting well. Verbeek isn't following the Yzerman/Bolts pattern.

Reactions: KyleJRM
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
This narrative that Verbeek is blowing it up by selling all the vets completely ignores the fact that these guys were UFA.
It's funny because that's exactly whats happening and it's what always happens. Buffalo was accused of the most blatant tanking in modern history in the McDavid year but that's literally all they did.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
This narrative that Verbeek is blowing it up by selling all the vets completely ignores the fact that these guys were UFA.
Yeah.... and he said that every time "we will not lose UFA for no reason"

Fiala would be a great add... man

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Fiala would be a great add... man
Fiala is getting close to 26 years old and needs a new contract one that I am sure he wants to cash in on big. Ducks shouldn't be going after him IMO when we don't know how much he would want especially from a team like the Ducks who aren't playoff caliber team.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
25/26 is young, What is wrong with this place?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

No narrative. Just the facts. Verbeek blew it up.

What Verbeek is doing is different from Murray. Murray would have already re-signed Manson and Lindholm long before the TDL b/c that's a Murray thing. Murry might have also re-signed Des too, since he was protected in the expansion draft. Verbeek could have re-signed the UFAs, but he chose not to. And in doing so, Verbeek chose to blow it up. Since we have record that Verbeek never intended to re-sign Manson, then it's safe to say this was mostly the route Verbeek wanted to go down on. Lindholm signed an 8-year extension for $6.5 mil AAV, which actually sounds like a steal, but Verbeek wanted a shorter term and Lindholm's 8-year term didn't match. Verbeek knew not retaining Lindholm was a possibility and that's the possibility Verbeek took. It's my way or the highway for Verbeek. No narrative in that.

Now, it's too early to say if this was a good thing or bad thing. Verbeek has a tall task in front of him of acquiring or developing a couple of top-4 D and a couple, or more, of top-6 forwards. With his direction, I'll give him three seasons before I can have a better assessment b/c he did reset the team. But that assessment will be on what he does beyond what was already in place in Anaheim. D Helleson is a good start. G Clang is okay and makes is not necessary to draft a goalie in the first three rounds for a couple of draft seasons. Got an extra 1st and 2nd rd pick this year, two extra 2nds and a 3rd in 2023, and an extra 2nd in 2024. Our current tanking has us in the 10th pick overall, which could be as high as 7th overall at the end of the season - which is a good thing.
Man... I still wished we had traded away Kesler's LTIR and Moore for Dadanov and a 2nd rd pick (2023/2024). That would have instantaneously replaced Rakell's top-6 spot and we would have an another 2nd rd arsenal for anything else. We'd at least be trading goals more equally than have it be a one-sided affair after the TDL. Replacing Rakell with Dadanov would have been a big positive for Verbeek. Plus, as others have mentioned, we could have flipped Dadanov at next year's TDL, provided it's not a team on that no trade list. lol

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota

What Verbeek is doing is different from Murray. Murray would have already re-signed Manson and Lindholm long before the TDL b/c that's a Murray thing. Murry might have also re-signed Des too, since he was protected in the expansion draft. Verbeek could have re-signed the UFAs, but he chose not to. And in doing so, Verbeek chose to blow it up. Since we have record that Verbeek never intended to re-sign Manson, then it's safe to say this was mostly the route Verbeek wanted to go down on. Lindholm signed an 8-year extension for $6.5 mil AAV, which actually sounds like a steal, but Verbeek wanted a shorter term and Lindholm's 8-year term didn't match. Verbeek knew not retaining Lindholm was a possibility and that's the possibility Verbeek took. It's my way or the highway for Verbeek. No narrative in that.

Now, it's too early to say if this was a good thing or bad thing. Verbeek has a tall task in front of him of acquiring or developing a couple of top-4 D and a couple, or more, of top-6 forwards. With his direction, I'll give him three seasons before I can have a better assessment b/c he did reset the team. But that assessment will be on what he does beyond what was already in place in Anaheim. D Helleson is a good start. G Clang is okay and makes is not necessary to draft a goalie in the first three rounds for a couple of draft seasons. Got an extra 1st and 2nd rd pick this year, two extra 2nds and a 3rd in 2023, and an extra 2nd in 2024. Our current tanking has us in the 10th pick overall, which could be as high as 7th overall at the end of the season - which is a good thing.
Man... I still wished we had traded away Kesler's LTIR and Moore for Dadanov and a 2nd rd pick (2023/2024). That would have instantaneously replaced Rakell's top-6 spot and we would have an another 2nd rd arsenal for anything else. We'd at least be trading goals more equally than have it be a one-sided affair after the TDL. Replacing Rakell with Dadanov would have been a big positive for Verbeek. Plus, as others have mentioned, we could have flipped Dadanov at next year's TDL, provided it's not a team on that no trade list. lol

You realize Murray had years to sign those guys to extensions and didn't do it.

If this was "blowing it up," Gibson and Fowler would be gone.

Reactions: Deuce22

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
You completely missed the point: It was to show the absurdity of expecting this team to not compete for another four years.
I think they can if they make the right trades.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Pending how this year's draft goes, do you risk another season like last year/ the end of this one for the Bedard draft or do you actually try to improve the team? Sounds like a franchise altering top of the draft next season but that also means very little insulation for the young guys next season, along with declining attendance most likely.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

How you have this clairvoyance that Murray would have extended Manson and Lindholm is puzzling, unless you actually are Murray. If a GM sees a player as part of the future, they should lock them up far before it becomes an issue of them possibly going FA. I stand by my point that I think Verbeek made the best of a bad situation he inherited from Murray.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
How you have this foreknowledge that Murray would have extended Manson and Lindholm is puzzling, unless you actually are Murray. If a GM sees a player as part of the future, they should lock them up far before it becomes an issue of them possibly going FA. I stand by my point that I think Verbeek made the best of a bad situation he inherited from Murray.
The fact that Murray showed up to work with every day for years and didn't extend them is a pretty good clue

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
According to Cap Friendly the Ducks have a cap hit of around $41.3 million for next year. They will add to this by signing some of their RFA's and UFA's, but even if they sign four at an average of $1 million each, their cap hit would be $45.3 million. They may bring up a player or two from San Diego, but those will be no more than $1 million contracts each, and likely less. If we round this up to $49 million given Lundestrom's new salary is going to be well above $1 million, and then add another $3 million for Getz, the Ducks are still about $9 - 10 million below the cap. They are going to have to sign some expensive cap hits for next year to get to the cap floor. I suspect that Verbeek will try to utilize this cap space to gain additional draft capital, just as he tried to do with Dadonov.

We can hope that these players and the young players coming in will be good players and will contribute to winning, but I have trouble commenting on this right now as these players are unknown. I am very discouraged with the team as it now stands, as it has way too many AHL quality players to even be modestly competitive. I feel like we have taken two steps backwards.

Verbeek has a lot of work to do to make this team worth watching, and we have to give him time to try to implement his philosophy. I don't have a good deal of confidence that he will be able to do much, but anything is possible. I am afraid that we will become like Arizona and Buffalo, perpetual black holes of losing.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg

If there was a person in the organization that personified "it's my way or the highway" it's Bob Murray. To pin that behaviour on Verbeek after he just took over (i.e. no track record) is poor form.

Secondly, Murray is on a record hating long terms, for anyone, thus the claim that Murray would have re-signed Lindholm is based purely on wishful thinking stemming from who knows what. Fanboyism?

Reactions: Deuce22 and MMC

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
If there was a person in the organization that personified "it's my way or the highway" it's Bob Murray. To pin that behaviour on Verbeek after he just took over (i.e. no track record) is poor form.

Secondly, Murray is on a record hating long terms, for anyone, thus the claim that Murray would have re-signed Lindholm is based purely on wishful thinking stemming from who knows what. Fanboyism?
Murray gave Fowler, perry and getzlaf 8 years contracts. Let’s stop rewriting history to defend the new guy.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad